UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

Since I didn't visit the site over the weekend, I didn't read it (duh..), but I thought I'd make a general comment - mostly useless, but still..

On the "events that change history"-subject. 

History is a simple subject, in a way. We all learn it, and on boards as these most are given to some sort of fascination about it - being history nerds of some kind, some epoch, era or subject matter. And in general, historical methodism is basically common sense. What sources do we have, and how can we use them?

Dig a bit deeper (yes, MA in history - modern history, missionarys in Ethiopia-history here), and it becomes more difficult. Sources are difficult to interpret, you find out that you need to immerse yourself in the thoughts, biases, what-have-you of the era to make sense of whatever happened. And you will still likely fail. And whenever someone makes a broad stroke that includes the history of whatever your speciality is, you tend to cringe and want to correct said person with a "but don't forget that in this instance...". 

Point is, in this context: one way of looking at history is "continuation or change". Does the incidents now occuring lead to a major change, or do they just register as a blip, and everything continues as before? 

Over the last cople of decades, we've had several incidents that may be or lead to major changes. 9/11 was globally important. Financial crisis. #Metoo. Covid-19. And now the structural racism-debate. I think it's too early to draw conclusions now as to whether these are blips or actual moments of change. But, of course, if we *want* them to be the latter, we need to push for the change we want to see. And that's going to be a long and hard struggle. 

/useless comment.

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

it really is an excellent title. 

Anyway, who would have thought a footballer would be the voice of reason on school meals. 

Apparently there's a vote on it today? Hope it goes through. Probably won't.

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well there is a pleasant surprise.  Cracking result, can he do it on a cold Tuesday away at Stoke though?

We have no choice but to stan Rashford. There's a 'he's feeding our kids' chant coming.

6 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I think it's too early to draw conclusions now as to whether these are blips or actual moments of change.

You left out the most significant long duree event we have been, currently are and will continue to be affected by, which is climate crash.  Combine the effects we are currently $uffering from that, which include$ in$urance corp$ going nuts, with the other financial and homeless effects of climate change + ever deepening, widening financial-resource inequality -- now that is more than a blip, but more like a 'window.' one that cannot be closed, because it exacerbates the health and reproductive carrying capacity of every community.

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You left out the most significant long duree event we have been, currently are and will continue to be affected by, which is climate crash.  Combine the effects we are currently $uffering from that, which include$ in$urance corp$ going nuts, with the other financial and homeless effects of climate change + ever deepening, widening financial-resource inequality -- now that is more than a blip, but more like a 'window.' one that cannot be closed, because it exacerbates the health and reproductive carrying capacity of every community.

Climate change I left out because it will happen whether we address it or no. For the other incidents, if I may call it that, they are within our control to a certain degree. True, so is climate change, but to a far lesser degree - in that the choices we already have made make sure we will see 1,5 degrees of warming. 

The timing of when we act and how we act will shape our future, true, but that is true whether we act or not. The other incidents will fade if not kept alive.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well there is a pleasant surprise.  Cracking result, can he do it on a cold Tuesday away at Stoke though?

I imagine most opponents he encounters in his day job will put up more resistance than Boris.

I wonder if the Tory whips calculated that they were going to lose the vote and thought it would be less humiliating to have Government policy changed because a footballer started a twitter thread than let Keir Starmer claim credit for it? It seems a bit unlikely they would lose given how big a majority they have but these are strange times.

This seems premature. The government has terminated the early employment scheme set up for final year student nurses, which saw them joining the workforce early to help with the pandemic. They've spent between 3 and 4 months working full-time, many on COVID wards, with work contributing to their student degrees. In some cases they've turned down full-time, permanent placements to help out with the COVID crisis.

The government's move means removing the emergency funding put in place for this, so they're effectively removing all of the student nurses at once and they can then reapply for vacancies in the normal manner. Which is what they were expecting, but not for several more months. The pandemic isn't over yet and it feels a bit early to be dismissing a large number of workers with valuable experience of treating people with the virus.

My friend on this scheme clarified that they've been asked to stay on and work for free, her reply to which was enthusiastically negative.

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This seems premature. The government has terminated the early employment scheme set up for final year student nurses, which saw them joining the workforce early to help with the pandemic. They've spent between 3 and 4 months working full-time, many on COVID wards, with work contributing to their student degrees. In some cases they've turned down full-time, permanent placements to help out with the COVID crisis.

The government's move means removing the emergency funding put in place for this, so they're effectively removing all of the student nurses at once and they can then reapply for vacancies in the normal manner. Which is what they were expecting, but not for several more months. The pandemic isn't over yet and it feels a bit early to be dismissing a large number of workers with valuable experience of treating people with the virus.

My friend on this scheme clarified that they've been asked to stay on and work for free, her reply to which was enthusiastically negative.

Stay on and work for free?   Just think of the exposure!   

This is beyond disgraceful, and so typically of this current goverment.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

What an insulting, nasty thing to do to people who've been so important to getting the country through Covid. 

20 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

And now BoJo in a car crash outside parliament.   

I thought for a second this was a reference to his attempt to bribe the voters with actual chocolate biscuits.

51 minutes ago, mormont said:

I thought for a second this was a reference to his attempt to bribe the voters with actual chocolate biscuits.

Aussie biscuits, though. What’s wrong with a proper British McVitie’s biscuit?

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

And now BoJo in a car crash outside parliament.   

Was Dom driving and testing his eyes again?

*sings* “Is this the way to Barnard Castle..?”

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

Please. She would get paid in the most valuable currency there is.

Applause from the balconies.

Archived