UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

Further, in response to the woke and SJW designations, well, the current usage 'woke' arrived out of the US BLM  beginnings way back in the day now, in Ferguson, 2014. In turn it came out of the presidential election campaign of 1860.

"Young Men for War": The Wide Awakes and Lincoln's 1860 Presidential Campaign
By: Jon Grinspan
The Journal of American History, Vol. 96, No. 2, Abraham Lincoln at 200: History and Historiography (Sep., 2009), pp. 357-378
Oxford University Press on behalf of Organization of American Historians

[....]During the four-way race for President in 1860, the six-year-old Republican Party found support from a new generation of voters who helped push Abraham Lincoln to victory. They were known as the “Wide Awakes,” because of their youth, enthusiasm, and torch-lit nighttime marches. “Now the old men are folding their arms and going to sleep,” said William H. Seward while campaigning for Lincoln, “and the young men are Wide Awake.”

There were even anti-Wide Awake factions, like the Chloroformers, who would put the Wide Awakes to sleep.[....]

Also read Ted Widmer's Lincoln on the Verge (2020), who includes the most up-to-date research into the Wide Awakes and their effect on the election.

13 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

ummm arent you the one that is "outraged" about the "woke warriors" and those damn privileged sjw and their fucking internet. like , what did "they" ever do to you, that you belive yourself to be censored and shit.

What are you talking about? I’m just saying the description of them is deadly accurate, especially in regards to some people.. cough.. cough.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

No, he's just in the Ricky Gervais camp of sticking up for free speech by being as obnoxious as possible. (Which, for both of them, is obnoxious indeed.)

He is apparently pro-transphobia though,

Eh, Jonathan  Pie is transphobic? Since when, Google only found one issue in 2019 where he was attacking police getting involved in a matter that wasnt a crime. 

This is not a serious way to run a public health response. Yeesh. Local lock downs isn't the issue but the total lack of coordination is concerning, yet par for the course of the last 6 months.

Leicester’s mayor, Sir Peter Soulsby, described the government’s approach to the Leicester outbreak as “intensely frustrating”.

“It was only last Thursday that we finally got some of the data we need but we’re still not getting all of it and it was only at 1.04am that the recommendations for Leicester arrived in my inbox,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Monday. “What they’re suggesting is not a return to lockdown, it seems that what they’re suggesting is that we continue the present level of restriction for a further two weeks beyond 4 July.

“I’ve looked at this report and, frankly, it’s obviously been cobbled together very hastily. It’s superficial and its description of Leicester is inaccurate and certainly it does not provide us with the information we need if we are to remain restricted for two weeks longer than the rest of the country.”

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Eh, Jonathan  Pie is transphobic? Since when, Google only found one issue in 2019 where he was attacking police getting involved in a matter that wasnt a crime. 

He made a comment on the video linked on the other page, criticising people for having a pop at JK Rowling after she went Full Morrissey.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

even if the UK 7 days average of cases has fallen below 1000 for the first time since March.

Have to be cognizant that the outbreaks are obviously not the same within the different countries, but there's a lack of vision/ clarity in the public health response in England.

I'm wary of what happens in the winter. The NHS struggles every winter with staff and capacity - we're still in June so there's still some time to be at a better place with covid by the time we get to the winter.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:59 PM, dog-days said:

Just listening to the Food Programme on Radio 4. According to it, Boris Johnson had an epiphany about the effects of weight on health after his own experience of Covid-19, and has resolved to Do Something about obesity in Britain. 

It follows that we should hope the Prime Minister is exposed to as many deeply unpleasant experiences as possible to push him towards socially compassionate policies. What first? 

I'd suggest him getting blackfaced (or dressed up as a muslim) chased thru Essex by a mob. That would be pretty high on my list.

Anyway. Meanwhile, today is the last day to ask for an extension. No deal here we come.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway. Meanwhile, today is the last day to ask for an extension. No deal here we come.

That reminds me that today at PMQs we had a very amusing moment when Theresa May tore a strip off Gove, asking him WTF was going on with the new civil service appointment and the government's guff about it being a political versus non-political appointment (pretty much exactly what Labour had asked a few minutes earlier). Gove was visibly unsure how to respond and went for some mealy-mouthed nothing phrase before retreating immediately.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That reminds me that today at PMQs we had a very amusing moment when Theresa May tore a strip off Gove, asking him WTF was going on with the new civil service appointment and the government's guff about it being a political versus non-political appointment (pretty much exactly what Labour had asked a few minutes earlier). Gove was visibly unsure how to respond and went for some mealy-mouthed nothing phrase before retreating immediately.

It was quite a moment. May has looked more assured now than she ever did as Prime Minister. 

Archived