UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

Meanwhile in actual political news. Jackson Carlaw, the Scottish Tory leader, has abruptly resigned six months after being appointed, apparently after realising what was blindingly obvious to anyone outside his party: that he was not the right man to lead his party into the next election. He had, of course, just spent five months insisting that he definitely was the right man to lead his party into the next election.

Nobody seems to think this is strange, largely because if you look at his performance, he was clearly way out of his depth and it is credible that he just finally noticed. Carlaw was not only one of the most gammony men in Scotland, he was the living embodiment of the middle class middle-aged cis white guy who gets the top job purely because he'd been a loyal servant and it was 'his turn'. It was a terrible appointment, but the pool of talent waiting to replace him is pretty much a shallow puddle. The biggest obstacle to the Tories coming in a distant second again is finding someone who could believably not get filleted at First Minister's Questions.

Current PM’s brother and last PM’s husband receive peerages.
:rolleyes: 

On the renewed restrictions I have mixed feelings. Nice to see the government acting decisively, albeit in a very last minute way. On the other hand, relying on travel bans, quarantines or partial lockdowns just means you don’t have a working testing and tracing programme months after the pandemic started.

27 minutes ago, john said:

Current PM’s brother and last PM’s husband receive peerages.
:rolleyes: 

Philip May got a knighthood, not a peerage.

Notable that the only Labour peers were the three Brexiteers who got deselected.

19 hours ago, john said:

On the renewed restrictions I have mixed feelings. Nice to see the government acting decisively, albeit in a very last minute way. On the other hand, relying on travel bans, quarantines or partial lockdowns just means you don’t have a working testing and tracing programme months after the pandemic started.

I see that Northern Ireland recently launched a covid tracking app which makes it even more glaring that there's no indication of when one might appear in the rest of the UK.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Kind of a judgmental tone here, guys. There is plenty to criticise our current and former PMs about without talking about their looks.

I apologise (British spelling for my hosts) for my part in it. I found BFC's comment misogynistic to a degree I rarely see on these boards anymore and wanted to turn it back, but I handled it poorly.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Kind of a judgmental tone here, guys. There is plenty to criticise our current and former PMs about without talking about their looks.

Who did that? May is a notoriously appaling dancer, it's got nothing to do with what she looks like. 

Edit, in retrospect I can see thats how it would have been taken. 

Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape of parliamentary staffer

A former Conservative minister has been arrested after a woman accused him of rape, sexual assault and coercive control, it was reported last night.

The Metropolitan police confirmed they had launched an investigation into four alleged incidents between July 2019 and January 2020 at different locations in London. They said “a man in his 50s” was taken into custody early yesterday and was still in a police station in east London last night.

He faces allegations from a woman who reportedly worked on the parliamentary estate that he abused her on several occasions. She alleges that the MP assaulted her, forced her to have sex, and left her so traumatised that she had to go to hospital, according to the claim.

Former minister. Fuck. Wonder who it is.

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape of parliamentary staffer

Former minister. Fuck. Wonder who it is.

I assume a different Tory to the one convicted of sexually assaulting women while chanting “I’m a naughty tory.” ...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/30/former-tory-mp-charlie-elphicke-guilty-sexual-assault-13059556/

6 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I assume a different Tory to the one convicted of sexually assaulting women while chanting “I’m a naughty tory.” ...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/30/former-tory-mp-charlie-elphicke-guilty-sexual-assault-13059556/

Elphicke was never a minister, so yes.

I’m assuming there’s legal reasons why he’s not being named, so any bets on how long before an opposition MP used parliamentary privilege to reveal who it is?

31 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Elphicke was never a minister, so yes.

I’m assuming there’s legal reasons why he’s not being named, so any bets on how long before an opposition MP used parliamentary privilege to reveal who it is?

I'm not sure, but maybe they have to wait until they are charged, and not just arrested.

Might also be withholding his name right now as it could maybe identify to accuser.

8 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I'm not sure, but maybe they have to wait until they are charged, and not just arrested.

Might also be withholding his name right now as it could maybe identify to accuser.

Yeah, Twitter is suggesting that as the most likely reason right now.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:08 PM, Maltaran said:

Philip May got a knighthood, not a peerage.

Notable that the only Labour peers were the three Brexiteers who got deselected.

Dame Kate Hoey. You really have to say it out loud once.

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Well, 54-year-old former Tory minister, Mark Francois, is currently trending. 

On 8/1/2020 at 8:22 AM, williamjm said:

I see that Northern Ireland recently launched a covid tracking app which makes it even more glaring that there's no indication of when one might appear in the rest of the UK.

We just launched our app in Canada. It’s going to be rolled out province by province, starting in Ontario, the biggest province. Apparently the 4 Maritime provinces will be next. The federal government has to negotiate with each province. Alberta wanted it’s own exclusive app, God only knows why.

I have loaded it already.

Archived