UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

On 8/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Dame Kate Hoey. You really have to say it out loud once.

Baroness Catharine Letitia Hoey...

The sad irony of being given a job for life in an unelected chamber because you didn’t stand for election again in the elected chamber. 

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Alberta wanted it’s own exclusive app, God only knows why.

[whispers] Side hustle between Telus and our Minister of Health, the blight dishonorable Shambro.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:34 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

I assume a different Tory to the one convicted of sexually assaulting women while chanting “I’m a naughty tory.” ...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/30/former-tory-mp-charlie-elphicke-guilty-sexual-assault-13059556/

Yes.

I don't think the MP in question would be much of a loss to the Conservative Party.

Withdrawing the whip immediately would have outed both the MP and the complainant.

Interesting report today that Britain's test and trace systems are not anywhere near ready to handle a large flood of cases, and that as the country has opened up as much as it can safely, they're going to need to close something else down before opening up the schools. This is following new information out of Israel that schools may be a bigger source of disease transmission than previously thought (the situation seemingly is that kids can get the disease, not be symptomatic but also infectious, unlike asymptomatic adults who have a low chance of passing on the virus).

We've at least got another month to see how things go, but there seems to be a recommendation that if we're going to reopen schools, than things like gyms and pubs will have to close again to limit transmission elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Interesting report today that Britain's test and trace systems are not anywhere near ready to handle a large flood of cases, and that as the country has opened up as much as it can safely, they're going to need to close something else down before opening up the schools. This is following new information out of Israel that schools may be a bigger source of disease transmission than previously thought (the situation seemingly is that kids can get the disease, not be symptomatic but also infectious, unlike asymptomatic adults who have a low chance of passing on the virus).

We've at least got another month to see how things go, but there seems to be a recommendation that if we're going to reopen schools, than things like gyms and pubs will have to close again to limit transmission elsewhere.

There might be a month to go in England but the Scottish term starts next Tuesday. There seems to be fewer cases around in Scotland than England at the moment but it's still something to be nervous about.

It appears some Brexit supporting MPs who voted for the WA and voted against having Parliament scrutinise the WA before being voted on are now not liking the terms of the WA that are now coming to light.

In the so called fine print.

Which no one read.

Because they voted to not let anyone read it.

46 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But the UK is holding all the cards, and the EU will fold, surely, eventually, maybe?

The folding is imminent, I believe. It’ll just need IDS to bitch some more about the WA and EU will cave. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But the UK is holding all the cards, and the EU will fold, surely, eventually, maybe?

Nigel assures us the German car industry and the French wine industry will make the EU cave...

Any day now...

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Nigel assures us the German car industry and the French wine industry will make the EU cave...

Any day now...

Is it going to be before or after we get a US free trade deal in record time with no downsides for the UK?

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It appears some Brexit supporting MPs who voted for the WA and voted against having Parliament scrutinise the WA before being voted on are now not liking the terms of the WA that are now coming to light.

In the so called fine print.

Which no one read.

Because they voted to not let anyone read it.

Links please.

Because I need a laugh.  

In some genuinely good news, beavers have been given the “right to remain” on the River Otter in Devon. England officially has beavers again!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53658375

You could make a joke about the rights of beavers being stronger than the rights of EU citizens, or in fact just about the word “beaver”, but I don’t want to lower the tone.

Hopefully it’ll be wolves next, but people will be much harder to sway on that issue.

28 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Hopefully it’ll be wolves next, but people will be much harder to sway on that issue.

As much as I love wolves, I just don't think we have enough room for them.  They have such huge territories.  And I don't want "wolf hunts" to become a thing.

Lynx are definitely more feasible - in Scotland, anyway.

The Netherlands have wolves, and they are more densely populated than we are.

But I agree it’s not going to happen. Lynxes shouldn’t be a problem if everyone was rational, so I don’t expect to see that either.

PS I can highly recommend Rebirding: Rewilding Britain and its Birds, by Benedict MacDonald, which despite the name covers large mammals too.

Have the Netherlands always had wolves or did they re-introduce them?  And do the wolves stay in the Netherlands, or do they roam more widely?

I don't know if there are any places in the UK where there are not grazing animals or game animals, and I can see the farmers and keepers of those animals being nervous about the re-introduction of wolves.  And that will inevitably lead to "controlling the wolf population". :(  

8 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Have the Netherlands always had wolves or did they re-introduce them?  And do the wolves stay in the Netherlands, or do they roam more widely?

Neither, they recolonised on their own after a centuries long absence.

9 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Neither, they recolonised on their own after a centuries long absence.

We could probably learn from them, then.  How do they control the population?  I'm off to Google ...

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

We could probably learn from them, then.  How do they control the population?  I'm off to Google ...

I don't know about the Netherlands but in Germany nothing is done to control the population. That will have to change eventually but right now it's a protected species that can't be hunted and changing that will take a big fight. As for how they came back, they were first sighted in east Germany in the 1990s.  One can assume that the collapse of communism had something to do with it. Lots of old industrial plants that have been closed. Large tracts of land that used to be occupied by the Russian army have been left to overgrow. Extensive surface mining has also left uninhabited areas where wildlife isn't perturbed by humans. Meanwhile the wolves everywhere. They seem to have grown used to the proximity of humans. Haven't heard of any sightings in the city yet but apparently they have reached the outskirts of Berlin.

1 hour ago, Loge said:

I don't know about the Netherlands but in Germany nothing is done to control the population. That will have to change eventually but right now it's a protected species that can't be hunted and changing that will take a big fight. As for how they came back, they were first sighted in east Germany in the 1990s.  One can assume that the collapse of communism had something to do with it. Lots of old industrial plants that have been closed. Large tracts of land that used to be occupied by the Russian army have been left to overgrow. Extensive surface mining has also left uninhabited areas where wildlife isn't perturbed by humans. Meanwhile the wolves everywhere. They seem to have grown used to the proximity of humans. Haven't heard of any sightings in the city yet but apparently they have reached the outskirts of Berlin.

Re wilding here in Ontario Canada has seen a huge uptick in urban wildlife. Raccoons, foxes, and coyotes are found all throughout urban centres now. There has even been the occasional cougar sighting in southern Ontario and black bears coming into Toronto suburbs are a regular occurrence. 

Wolves never really left and one can camp out in Algonquin  park, just a few hours north of Toronto, and hear packs of them howling at night. Apparently they have bred with coyotes and are now regular visitors to urban areas. 

Archived