UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

15 hours ago, ants said:

Links please.

Because I need a laugh.  

Not a news article, but what this has been about. And proof of what I've been saying all along. Twitter is for twats. Exhibit a. Iain Duncan Smith.

https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1290292766514135040

10 hours ago, Leap said:

Fantastic news! Rewilding and reintroduction is such a niche issue so it's great to see an actual victory for once. Can't believe how much the beaver populationh as grown too, and it's surprising to see the number of sites they are potentially present at. 

It's not all perfect, as you do have some bullshittery like this:

Of course, cull the population rather than moving it to some of the other massive open space in Scotland, or indeed the UK.

I would like to see some substantiation of the potential issues relating to migratory fish, but if it's just a case of "anglers want to be able to fish here without beavers", they can fuck off. The article above notes that it improved fish biomass - is there a reason it would be negative for migratory fish. Also, not introduced. Reintroduced.

I doubt wolves will come back any time soon. As we can see above, the farming lobby has significant influence and very little incentive to move from the status quo. Although maybe Brexit will have an unforseen impact here.

I think Lynx are more feasible, although a fairly recent application was unfortunately rejected.

Edit: Gov press release attached

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/five-year-beaver-reintroduction-trial-successfully-completed

The law of unintended consequences. Beavers were extinct in the UK for 400+ years according to the google, and were obviously at very low numbers for a bit longer than that. Ecosystems adapt over that period of time. Even when it has the appearance of humans correcting a past ecological sin, re-introducing a species is still human intervention in an ecosystem. What ecological problem was re-introducing beavers trying to fix?

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The law of unintended consequences. Beavers were extinct in the UK for 400+ years according to the google, and were obviously at very low numbers for a bit longer than that. Ecosystems adapt over that period of time. Even when it has the appearance of humans correcting a past ecological sin, re-introducing a species is still human intervention in an ecosystem. What ecological problem was re-introducing beavers trying to fix?

The loss of wetlands and increased flooding?

21 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

The loss of wetlands and increased flooding?

Also, beavers provide a breeding ground for fish and sunlit areas in woodland, giving a huge boost to plant diversity and insect numbers, and, as a result, bird numbers. 

This is doubly important as the UK has the most denuded biodiversity in the entire world. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Hats and Catholics.

During the olde days, the Catholic Church designated beavers as fish, so that monks could eat them during Lent. 

A quick Google shows it was, good grief, the College of Physicians in Paris that declared beaver fish, not the church, because the tail moves the beaver in water when it swims.

4 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Yeah, I took a very different meaning from the post. Probably should see someone about that.

That kind didn’t go extinct, so, no!

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I know you think this is clever.. but it doesn’t make a ton of sense.

It makes sense to me. If you claim all lives matter you should be helping these refugees, not demanding the Navy sends them back to France

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Boy, the pictures look dreadful. My condolences to the families of those who died or who were injured. 

The latest count is three people dead (including the train's driver and conductor).

The pictures do look horrific. I suspect if this had happened at any other time then there could have been many more casualties. The pandemic and in particular the Aberdeen lockdown may well have made the service much less busy than it would have been in normal times.

Archived