UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

The review of Covid deaths has dropped our total fatalities by 5000, which (by my very crude calculation) drops us to around 8th in the world in terms of deaths per capita, down from 3rd. They’re now capping it at 28 days after a positive test for it to count as a Covid death.

6 hours ago, ants said:

Looking at the images, I'm staggered there can be only a handful dead.  Must have been near empty.  

They looked at station CCTV and worked out there were 9 people on the train when it crashed. The 6 survivors where taken to hospital, thankfully there don't seem to be serious injuries among them. 

My first summer job I used to take that exact train* from Aberdeen to Dundee. The sun rising over the North Sea made for a beautiful journey (even if you were a bit too sleepy to fully appreciate it). It's quite sobering to see this happen, even if it was 15 years ago now...

ST

* Slight poetic license - the time varied depending on what time I needed to be at work so I was often on a slightly later one than this. But still...

21 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

The review of Covid deaths has dropped our total fatalities by 5000, which (by my very crude calculation) drops us to around 8th in the world in terms of deaths per capita, down from 3rd. They’re now capping it at 28 days after a positive test for it to count as a Covid death.

The methodology here seems unclear. COVID-19 itself seems to kill relatively few people directly, fatalities mainly stem from triggering the body's immune system into going into overdrive, but that can be a relatively fast process (happening between 2 and 4 weeks after the initial infection) or a longer and more drawn-out one, killing the person between 6 and up to 12 weeks after initial infection (even longer periods have been suggested, and some people diagnosed with the illness back in March are still reporting symptoms now). It's also unclear the extent to which permanent damage is done that will shorten a person's lifespan by months or years (this is something that we won't know for sure until years or decades from now, of course).

Taking this new methodology into account, it appears that Nick Cordero would not have been counted as a COVID death despite rather obviously being one. It took him 107 days, or 3 months and 16 days, to die.

The deaths-over-mean figure, currently at 65,000, is likely a more accurate figure, especially given the number of deaths from other causes (road and traffic accidents, accidents of almost all causes etc) is way down on the normal. Obviously in some cases some people were diagnosed with COVID, had no symptoms and did not develop pneumonia, then died of an unrelated pre-existing condition, but that number seems to be relatively small.

1 hour ago, Sir Thursday said:

My first summer job I used to take that exact train* from Aberdeen to Dundee. The sun rising over the North Sea made for a beautiful journey (even if you were a bit too sleepy to fully appreciate it). It's quite sobering to see this happen, even if it was 15 years ago now...

ST

* Slight poetic license - the time varied depending on what time I needed to be at work so I was often on a slightly later one than this. But still...

Was it normally a busy train back when you were taking it? I'm assuming the 9 is a long way down on the normal passenger numbers due to the current situation but I don't know how many would have been expected on it in normal times.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

Was it normally a busy train back when you were taking it? I'm assuming the 9 is a long way down on the normal passenger numbers due to the current situation but I don't know how many would have been expected on it in normal times.

It wasn't rammed, but IIRC you didn't normally get a set of 4 to yourself. Tended to be a bit emptier if I got the earlier train, but definitely not "only 9 in the whole train". It was pretty much all commuters, so I'd imagine it's the sort of service that would have massive drops in travellers with the number of people working from home.

ST

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I honestly think Williamsons remarks re over promotion is the worst thing a Tory has ever said. 

I think he gets a reprieve as he didn't actually say it.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

This government is so shit, they can't even fake a camp site without fucking it up.

Just disappointed the locals didn’t seize thr opportunity to recreate The Wickerman.

6 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Just disappointed the locals didn’t seize thr opportunity to recreate The Wickerman.

They have considered that, but they came to the conclusion that fumes emanating from burning BoJo would be way too toxic. ;)

Archived