UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

How are gyms and bowling alleys more risky than pubs? 

It's too far in the future to risk waiting any longer for my haircut unfortunately. 

On a separate note, police investigating the banner at the football 'to see if any offences were commited' is fucking pathetic. If you dont know, then there weren't. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

On a separate note, police investigating the banner at the football 'to see if any offences were commited' is fucking pathetic. If you dont know, then there weren't. 

Banner was stupid, obviously not against the law though and it would cause a huge backlash if anyone was arrested for it.

But unfortunately we live in an age of divisive rhetoric and politics, if you are going to be defining everyone purely by their race then you will see stuff like this quite often.

This whole reopening thing seems bound to lead to a second wave and a prolonging of the problem and is pretty much typical of our country's half-arsed and generally nonsensical approach to covid.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How are gyms and bowling alleys more risky than pubs? 

It's too far in the future to risk waiting any longer for my haircut unfortunately. 

They aren't. We just don't pay as much tax... 

45 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Will just have to apply for an alcohol licence for the gym then can open. That's about how much sense this all makes. 

What a brilliant loophole.

I've probably lost a lot of muscle mass, but I can bike a lot further and my yoga skills are slightly above shit now.

And despite the need for social distancing, lots of people really just want to have sex. Which is the hidden fail in all of this. 

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

At least you can go get smashed in a pub though. 

I just don't understand this reasoning. I know that much of it is based on the heavy breathing and shared equipment during exercise, but the other two biggest risk factors (besides being indoors which is moot in the comparison) are density and time of exposure. 

Most people spend far longer in a pub than a gym, and I doubt that drunk people are more concerned about social distancing and hygiene than people working out. Besides, it would seem like the loud talking and shared restrooms in a bar would wipe out any advantage it may have over a gym.

That's not saying I think bars should be open now (not here in the U.S. anyway), but if bars are going to be open, I don't see why gyms wouldn't be.

Isn’t the issue of pubs v gyms the amount of stuff you touch? You’re indoor for both, in close quarters, but the drinker basically holds a glass while the gym user could be touching many pieces of equipment. Even pre-pandemic there were lots of stories on line about people picking up infections after going to the gym. Every piece of equipment at the Y I went to then had a spray bottle of something (it didn’t seem to have scent, I was suspicious it was just plain water) and a disgusting rag to wipe down the equipment. I was not impressed.

Things should be far better now, of course.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Gyms better open soon.. these press ups are not getting me very far.

I hear that; I'm already starting to get a little thicker in the middle because I just can't keep up the same level of intensity at home. The injury didn't help either.

Of course, our gyms are open; I'm just staying away because we're headed to another peak.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Isn’t the issue of pubs v gyms the amount of stuff you touch? You’re indoor for both, in close quarters, but the drinker basically holds a glass while the gym user could be touching many pieces of equipment. Even pre-pandemic there were lots of stories on line about people picking up infections after going to the gym. Every piece of equipment at the Y I went to then had a spray bottle of something (it didn’t seem to have scent, I was suspicious it was just plain water) and a disgusting rag to wipe down the equipment. I was not impressed.

Things should be far better now, of course.

Yes, it's the increased number of shared surfaces and more forceful exhalations in a gym.

But I'd argue that an enhanced sanitation system and limiting occupancy and duration, at least in larger gyms, could ameliorate risk better than drunks spending hours in a bar, no matter how good a sanitation system you employ.

Of course, I'm also speaking from my experience here in the U.S., where people are partying like it's 1999.

ETA: That's speaking as a self-professed drunk who loves chilling in a bar.

14 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I hear that; I'm already starting to get a little thicker in the middle because I just can't keep up the same level of intensity at home. The injury didn't help either.

Of course, our gyms are open; I'm just staying away because we're headed to another peak.

The problem is, being at home all the time means I snack pretty much constantly, and mentally don't feel very athletic without a real gym routine. I've been going to gym religiously for years, barely missing a single session. But since this has kicked in I'm hardly able to muster the effort to do a pull up once a week. 

So yeah, they have opened the pubs, but if you combine the lack of gym and the inability for me to have a haircut, there is zero chance I would want to be seen in public anyway.

3 hours ago, Poobah said:

This whole reopening thing seems bound to lead to a second wave and a prolonging of the problem and is pretty much typical of our country's half-arsed and generally nonsensical approach to covid.

I feel like I’m seeing different numbers to everyone else. Remember when everyone was screaming for a lockdown, and it finally happened on the 23rd March and was widely considered to be overdue? The deaths that day were 54. It reached 181 on the 27th March four days later, and today they’re 171. I know there’s a bunch of variables that complicate matters ... but not that many. I don’t really understand what’s stopping the virus spreading widely again in July.

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I feel like I’m seeing different numbers to everyone else. Remember when everyone was screaming for a lockdown, and it finally happened on the 23rd March and was widely considered to be overdue? The deaths that day were 54. It reached 181 on the 27th March four days later, and today they’re 171. I know there’s a bunch of variables that complicate matters ... but not that many. I don’t really understand what’s stopping the virus spreading widely again in July.

The figures are heading downwards rather than upwards, which the government seem to be crossing their fingers over and hoping will continue as measures are eased. Exactly why the figures are heading downwards seems to be the subject of much debate, whilst it was fairly obvious why they were heading upwards. The big test will come after 4 July which will be our biggest step to resuming "normal life", and then seeing how the figures start faring two weeks later (the upper limit on any lag between measures being taken and infections becoming detectable).

Based on other countries' experiences, it's all down to keeping the R rate below 1, and that can actually be accomplished without lockdowns as long as other measures are adhered to: social distancing, minimising time spent with others, keeping masks on, track and tracing etc. Each one of those mitigating measures you're missing increases the risk of the R figure moving above 1. Track and trace is out the window until August because of our government's typical arrogant incompetence, so it's going to come down in the main to people being sensible and taking precautions. As long as a certain number of people are doing that, the populace can withstand a certain number of people not taking any precautions whatsoever (I think the figure is roughly 80-20). So it will really come down to people voluntarily wearing masks, self-isolating the nanosecond they think they might have symptoms and contacting other people, minimising time spent in shows and social settings etc.

I'm not 100% convinced that Britain is in a place where those things can be relied upon. It might actually just come down to sheer luck.

Another scandal, same tactics:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53172995

First, deny that you did anything wrong. Then, when forced to release the evidence that you did do something wrong, insist that the matter is now closed and it's time to move on. I particularly like Jenrick's simultaneous insistence that the suggestion he did anything wrong is 'not simply wrong but actually outrageous' while admitting that he did, in fact, do things wrongly.

Archived