Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess if they do regular flashbacks they'll have McGregor playing obi so it makes sense to use Hayden for anakin irrespective of time passed. Guess it depends how much Hayden has aged. 

God forbid the show has vader temporarily able to heal himself (or via emperor) to the extent he doesn't need the mask and we get helmetless vader.

It's a clone!

2 hours ago, Week said:

It's a clone!

A clone that's aged 15 years since Obi-Wan got the high ground?  I guess that could be explained/established, but just seems really forced.  Guess they could do that de-aging stuff, but seems like a waste of money just to get back Hayden Christensen.  I thought he was vilified a little too much, but still, it's not like anyone was clamoring for his return.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

A clone that's aged 15 years since Obi-Wan got the high ground?  I guess that could be explained/established, but just seems really forced.  Guess they could do that de-aging stuff, but seems like a waste of money just to get back Hayden Christensen.  I thought he was vilified a little too much, but still, it's not like anyone was clamoring for his return.

I agree and I don't put any blame on his performance on him.  Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, and Jimmy Smits were all award winning actors and even they struggled to put forth convincing roles.  If they were all out there winning Oscars and such and Christensen was still wooden, well that would be a different story.

Christensen's still looking pretty good for his age. But has he ever managed to be in anything worthwhile? His general style of acting could politely be described as mumblecore. Think Star Wars messed up his career in some ways - if he'd gone to drama school and spent time working on the stage, he might have developed a bit of charisma to go with the pretty face. 

58 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Christensen's still looking pretty good for his age. But has he ever managed to be in anything worthwhile? His general style of acting could politely be described as mumblecore. Think Star Wars messed up his career in some ways - if he'd gone to drama school and spent time working on the stage, he might have developed a bit of charisma to go with the pretty face. 

He was good in Shattered Glass, thats all I got. 

29 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

There’s a generation that grew up watching the the prequels as kids that is actually quite keen to see him again.

I was 17 when Attack of the Clones came out.  Guess that makes me a too old cuz I don't know anyone within 5 years (either way) of my age that would be keen to see him again - even among those that liked the prequels.

6 hours ago, dog-days said:

His IMDB is pretty barren post prequels. Jumper was okay I guess. One of my step-brothers swears he was good in another movie, but I'm not sure which one it it is. I think Awake, but idk.

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was 17 when Attack of the Clones came out.  Guess that makes me a too old cuz I don't know anyone within 5 years (either way) of my age that would be keen to see him again - even among those that liked the prequels.

I'm thinking more of people who were like 9 or 10 when say, SIth came out. I know some people that age who LOOOOOOVE the prequels.

I think The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are fine. I'm not thrilled with the story they chose to tell but they're competent films. Mostly. The last one I can't see myself ever watching again except for the sake of completion in some kinda marathon. Which is about where I'm at with the prequels too. I have a little nostalgia for them (DO NOT WANT) but they are not good. 

On 7/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, RumHam said:

I think The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are fine. I'm not thrilled with the story they chose to tell but they're competent films. Mostly. The last one I can't see myself ever watching again except for the sake of completion in some kinda marathon. Which is about where I'm at with the prequels too. I have a little nostalgia for them (DO NOT WANT) but they are not good. 

I think this generally sums it up. The prequels had a better story and more interesting premise, but the moment-to-moment scripting, dialogue, staging, acting, directing and, especially in the latter two films, the editing is utterly mediocre to totally inept. They're a good idea let down by poor execution.

The sequels don't really have a coherent story or premise, but in terms of the competence of the film-making, they are vastly ahead of the prequels (especially the first two; Rise of Skywalker is an incoherent mess in many respects). They're a vague idea elevated by mostly competent execution. Rey's through-line through the three films is nowhere near as thematically rich or resonant as Anakin's on paper, but in execution is a lot better handled.

It's amusing to think there is a timeline where Lucas retained ownership of the franchise and never bothered to make another Star Wars film after 1983 and in that universe it's still held up as a peerless icon (the odd grumble about Ewoks aside), never to be added to whilst people clamour for more films.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:10 PM, Werthead said:

Bit odd. He's 15 years older that Anakin was when he became Vader. Him playing Vader in a new series set between Sith and Hope and we get to see him with his helmet off or something, maybe, but having him show up in a dream sequence seems strange. Of course, as a stylised dream sequence they can de-age him digitally a bit more convincingly, probably.

I'm not sure how the 15 years in between siths release and now is really a problem.  They could just set it 15 years after Revenge of the Sith which would make it a few years before New Hope.  For dream sequences they could always do nightmarish ones as suggested but also could be dreams of Obi Wan imagining how Anakin should have been sort of thing.

Interesting that he is going to be a regular though.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Please don't suck please don't suck

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I was just thinking as I started to read the article that it would be the perfect way to resolve some of the storylines from Solo.  A movie which the article summed up well as being fun but unnecessary.  

I also kind of like the speculated idea of going the Young Indiana Jones route by having an aged Billy Dee Williams post RoS telling stories via flashback using Glover.

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, I won't believe this one til its officially announced. Way too good to be true.

Yeah, I still don't believe we're getting Rosario Dawson as live action Ahsoka until it's announced. But these things are fun to think about.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I also kind of like the speculated idea of going the Young Indiana Jones route by having an aged Billy Dee Williams post RoS telling stories via flashback using Glover.

It could be fun to have Billy Dee Williams' Lando bullshiting in narration while we see what actually happened. I hope they bring back Ehrenreich a bit, he was not the problem with that movie. 

36 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It could be fun to have Billy Dee Williams' Lando bullshiting in narration while we see what actually happened. I hope they bring back Ehrenreich a bit, he was not the problem with that movie. 

Agreed.

I still don’t understand what Disney was doing with the scheduling of that movie.  They had carved out a nice window of the holiday calendar for TFA, R1, and TLJ.  Then they botch it by putting Solo out just five months after the controversial TLJ.

I am firmly convinced that had the movie released at December, it would have performed fine.  Wouldn’t have set records, but it would be fine.

Archived