Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

I was just thinking as I started to read the article that it would be the perfect way to resolve some of the storylines from Solo.  A movie which the article summed up well as being fun but unnecessary.  

I also kind of like the speculated idea of going the Young Indiana Jones route by having an aged Billy Dee Williams post RoS telling stories via flashback using Glover.

I'd also like to see some of the plots set up in solo be explored in the lando, obi wan and the vlone wars spin off. Particularly the black sun/darth maul angle. I'm sure they had a loose plan with Solo for another two films (although given the ramshackle planning of the last trilogy maybe not). A lot of it could be shifted from han to lando and may even be better that way as Han shouldn't really have a heavy heroic backstory prior to episode IV. Although i also agree that ehrenreich wasn't a problem (more me seeing him as a serviceable non han character) and it'd be good to include him at points.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I am firmly convinced that had the movie released at December, it would have performed fine.  Wouldn’t have set records, but it would be fine.

They were using it as a canary in a cage to see if they could release 2 or even 3 Star Wars movies a year (like Marvel movies). I'd argue they perhaps shouldn't have done that with a film with so many problems that the budget had ballooned over $200 million and maybe closer to $300 million, and waited until they had a smaller, cheaper film which wouldn't have been so embarrassing to fall over with.

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine this was already discussed but here goes.  I watched the Mandalorian earlier this summer and am currently blowing through Rebels with my kid (Disney + signup obvs.) and both shows are great fun, top tier Star Wars content. However, it's really weird to me that the Mando show wasn't set much farther into the future, closer to tFA at least. In Rebels, there's lot of Mandalorians (homeworld, colonies, etc...), all running around with helmets off. Then 3-4 years later in the OT, there's just one around, Boba Fett* and then only 15 years later, they're completely underground AND aren't supposed to take off their helmets. It's silly and ponderous. The various internal inconsistencies in the movies are understandable due to the vast amount of ret-conning that was going on but this series was a total blue water creation, free of Skywalker narrative gravity.

* not a real Mandalorian I think but still.

Rey being Ezra's daughter would have been 100000x cooler than what took place in RoS. He would be 50 or so right so the timing would be ok.

13 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

I imagine this was already discussed but here goes.  I watched the Mandalorian earlier this summer and am currently blowing through Rebels with my kid (Disney + signup obvs.) and both shows are great fun, top tier Star Wars content. However, it's really weird to me that the Mando show wasn't set much farther into the future, closer to tFA at least. In Rebels, there's lot of Mandalorians (homeworld, colonies, etc...), all running around with helmets off. Then 3-4 years later in the OT, there's just one around, Boba Fett* and then only 15 years later, they're completely underground AND aren't supposed to take off their helmets. It's silly and ponderous. The various internal inconsistencies in the movies are understandable due to the vast amount of ret-conning that was going on but this series was a total blue water creation, free of Skywalker narrative gravity.

* not a real Mandalorian I think but still.

Rey being Ezra's daughter would have been 100000x cooler than what took place in RoS. He would be 50 or so right so the timing would be ok.

Considering that The Mandalorian has already done flashbacks, albeit related to the main character only, I suspect we will get an explanation as to why the Mandalorians have changed their way. I don't know how much of Rebels you've watched, but the explanation isn't there.

Spoiler

We're told the Empire launched some kind of great purge of Mandalore, but that didn't happen in Rebels, but it's likely the reason why The Mandalorians live underground and keep their faces hidden. Why Gideon has the Darksabre also needs to be answered, and will connect with the Great Purge, no doubt.

I guess but doesn't his origin story go back before Rebels, to the Clone Wars? He's maybe 10 years older than Ezra so was already being raised to never remove his helmet while all the Mandos in Rebels were running around and Sabine was hanging out on Lothal (with no helmet) maybe 5 years before this show (end of 'A New Hope'). Just set the series 20 years after ANH and it makes so much more sense.

The Star Wars world is full of explanations I don't need while ignoring obvious timeline issues which, since it's all fictional, could be easily avoided.

I think Filoni said it was this one sect of Mandalorians who don't remove their helmets, not all of them.

Spoiler

If Sabine Wren really is in Season 2

, we should hopefully get more info then.

Yeah, the simple explanation is just that not all Mandalorians think the same. The guys who saved Mando were part of Death Watch, but that doesn't mean that everyone that was part of it agreed on everything, since the unifying goal of Death Watch was the oppose the pacifism of the New Mandalorians and not anything else. So you've got a bunch of different clans united only under the banner of "fuck pacifism" and quite possibly a bunch of other clans that don't even care enough about the planet itself to get involved. And wouldn't that be a interesting thing to get brought up? That there are actually a bunch of Mandalorians running around that just weren't there for the purge.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Werthead said:

They were using it as a canary in a cage to see if they could release 2 or even 3 Star Wars movies a year (like Marvel movies). I'd argue they perhaps shouldn't have done that with a film with so many problems that the budget had ballooned over $200 million and maybe closer to $300 million, and waited until they had a smaller, cheaper film which wouldn't have been so embarrassing to fall over with.

I think the production costs are as much a problem as the release and general ill will/fatigue from last jedi. if they'd kept the original budget the whole thing would have been less drastic but the film. It cost the same as Force awakens (probably more if promotion was included for solo) but was never going to be anywhere near successful.

Then things spiralled with them sticking to an earlier release in light of a divisive film and then deciding to try and save money by not going all out on the promotion. And to be fair it was a film where for all intents and purposes we knew how things would pan out. Yes, we knew how "rogue one" would end but it featured all new characters meaning we had no idea whether they'd make it out alive or not (and were therefore surprised if they didn't)

The film had a lot of things going wrong for it. What could have been interesting was seeing how Solo would have fared as a 6 part "first live action star wars tv show"

Had a weird star wars related dream last night in which Disney having realised they couldn't come up with how to go forward with their film franchise actually decided to remake last jedi and rise but oddly gave it to JJ abrams to direct the way he "would have". Funny thing is the films still weren't great but rise was improved. I'd been drinking.

Thinking about how the first season of The Mandalorian ended, it seems inevitable to me that...

Spoiler

Ahsoka Tano would come seeking the source of the disturbances in the Force she's been sensing.

Sabine Wren would come seeking the Darksaber if it becomes known who wields it. 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, ithanos said:

Thinking about how the first season of The Mandalorian ended, it seems inevitable to me that...

Hide contents

Ahsoka Tano would come seeking the source of the disturbances in the Force she's been sensing.

Sabine Wren would come seeking the Darksaber if it becomes known who wields it. 

Wouldn't that mean Luke should come looking too?

That character doesn't have any ties to any of the characters in Rebels other than Obi-wan, Vader and Sheev though, so I can't see why they would get involved.

I also don't know how far out in the Outer Rim the Mandalorian takes place - is that clear? If it's on the other side of known space from the core planets, maybe that would also explain why other known characters wouldn't show up, other than ones who are already on a mission. Or does hyperspace eliminate the issue of remoteness?

1 minute ago, Vaughn said:

That character doesn't have any ties to any of the characters in Rebels other than Obi-wan, Vader and Sheev though, so I can't see why they would get involved.

I also don't know how far out in the Outer Rim the Mandalorian takes place - is that clear? If it's on the other side of known space from the core planets, maybe that would also explain why other known characters wouldn't show up, other than ones who are already on a mission. Or does hyperspace eliminate the issue of remoteness?

Yes, but if the premise is that someone senses the child, Luke, who at this time is likely trying to rebuild the Jedi order, would be the one to come looking. Other Force sensitive characters may simply stumble upon him. That being said, the way season 1 ended

Spoiler

Mando may go looking for Jedi, and thus attract the attention of possibly Ahsoka, along with unwanted attention, no doubt. Would Snoke show up?

3 hours ago, Relic said:

would you accept a Luke that was re-cast and NOT played by Hamill? 

Sure. as many on the internet have pointed out Sebastian Stan looks a lot like him. 

36 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Well we know he visits Tatooine in one episode, and will return there in season two. Anyway travel speed is entirely dependent on the needs of the plot in...well in practically everything but especially Star Wars. 

31 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yes, but if the premise is that someone senses the child, Luke, who at this time is likely trying to rebuild the Jedi order, would be the one to come looking. Other Force sensitive characters may simply stumble upon him. That being said, the way season 1 ended

Hide contents

Mando may go looking for Jedi, and thus attract the attention of possibly Ahsoka, along with unwanted attention, no doubt. Would Snoke show up?

Does Snoke exist yet? or is that what they need the little guy's blood for? Making force sensitive abominations can't be easy, or everyone would be doing it!

It might even be at this point that the emperor is still dead, or is surviving off unicorn blood in a forest somewhere waiting for Moff Gideon to bring him baby yoda. 

What I have enjoyed about Rebels and the Mando is the scale of new, weird things that come in and out of the stories. While there are characters from the movies but they made it feel organic to the story, not fan service or a lack of imagination on the part of Chris Terrio the writers. However, there's plenty of room for random stuff like the Bendu (surely a sign that there's lots of force stuff out there which isn't subject to Yoda/Luke, etc... sensing it) and the purglii (sp?) Bringing a live action Ahsoka seems to be on the right side of that line where Luke would be disappointing, especially since he's presumably busy working on his (very flammable) school for Jedi. 

After playing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, I'm now wondering what the fate of those characters is during and/or post Galactic Civil War. Since they motion captured actors for those characters, it would be easy to bring them into a live-action story.

Archived