Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

46 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I think you're misunderstanding me because this is what I'm saying.

I think that was a "no, it's not just your read, that's definitely what TLJ was saying".

We're at a particular point in time where how we deal with edgelord kids turned Nazis that continue to choose evil every time a choice is presented is becoming quite topical and "sacrifice everything to try redeem them" can't be the only option.

Indeed :( On the other hand, I would hope there's a better solution to that problem than killing all the little bastards. Their mothers would certainly take a lot of persuading that that's the only viable course of action. Convincing them that they should stop watching Fox News etc (ie killing Snoke) would be a big step in the right direction, but only a first step - they can't be expected to throw off years of brainwashing instantly.

I'm also not bothered by Ren being weaker than Snoke for a couple of reasons: the way TLJ presented things you would expect Ren and Rey to both get stronger as the older and more powerful figures are gone, but more importantly I think Ren is both more dangerous and more scary despite being less powerful.

I'm not convinced - look at all the damage Snoke did with his manipulations. He'd potentially be a big threat even without being a Force wielder. Ren is vicious and unpredictable,and perhaps more scary to be stuck in a room with, but he's not a leader and I don't think he even knows what he wants. With him in command I'd expect the First Order to start falling apart rather than consolidating its power.

It was an odd choice to take away Ren's authority over the First Order in TRoS. That's one thing that could have made redeeming him a better option than killing him - it would be the easiest way to eliminate the entire First Order threat.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

I think you're misunderstanding me because this is what I'm saying. That is dissonant with redeeming Ren because he's set up by TLJ to be the big bad and they're not going to risk any more lives hoping he'll suddenly find his humanity. He had his choice in that throne room after killing Snoke and he made it.

Sorry, I was attempting to 100% agree with you and say that your interpretation is reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Kalibear said:

Sorry, I was attempting to 100% agree with you and say that your interpretation is reasonable. 

All good, Felice got what you meant and I'm on migraine day 6 now and I can assure you cognitive skills are already pretty degraded on day 5 :P I'm going to own that confusion

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Really? I thought the ending to 8 was pretty hopeful. What with Leia saying we have all we need, C3P0 reunited with R2, the whole thing with the kids acting out Luke's last stand...*shrug*

If you believe Leia is right, perhaps, but the dozen or so survivors of the Resistance have just seen hundreds of their friends killed and it's not clear what they could hope to achieve against the First Order which has apparently conquered the galaxy. I guess the idea that evil will never win completely because some of today's kids will grow up to resist is slightly optimistic, but there's no reason to expect them to be any more successful than the last lot (and if they are going to succeed, why not make movies about them instead?)

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good LORD, SIX DAYS? I get the occasional migraine to do bloodsugur levels that last maybe an hour and they make me want to die. 

This one is at least easing through the afternoon and evening as the good meds do their thing, I had an 8 day one with zero let up back before i got the good meds. My mum passed them onto me and she had a 10 month one and that's what I can't imagine facing.

I wasn’t over the moon with I at the time, and thought II was shit, so I kinda ignored the prequels and that whole era after that (and I can’t remember if I’ve even seen III all the way through), but it feels like I’m missing more and more references, Ahsoka Tahn being in Mandalorian, for example, so I’m embarking on what I think is a complete chronological rewatch.

I’ve watched I and II, and now I’m doing The Clone Wars in chronological order. It’s pretty good, I was never sure how ‘essential’ it was deemed to be by fans in general. Then I’ll do III, then however the rest goes (I forget exactly where Rebels and Resistance goes ... any others worth checking out? What is and what isn’t canon is still seems unclear...)

I’ve only seen a handful of Clone Wars episodes and already, Anakin is such a long way ahead of his character in the films. This is the guy Obi Wan called a cunning warrior and a good friend. This is the stuff that we needed to see in the films. I know the performances are widely bad in the prequels, but I still struggle to believe that Hayden Christensen isn’t partially to blame here. Did he get specifically directed to give Padmé a super creepy, letchy grin after she specifically tells him to stop looking at her like that? The ‘love’ scenes in II are just unwatchable.

Sorry, I know it’s old ground, I always thought it was bad, but just didn’t know The Clone Wars created a far better character and cast someone else who could act in the role, albeit only a voice.

It's still good to hear. Clone Wars was great, and Rebels has some real high points too. One of the best things in CW is the development of the clone troopers - giving them personalities, enjoying their triumphs and feeling for their suffering. 

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I wasn’t over the moon with I at the time, and thought II was shit, so I kinda ignored the prequels and that whole era after that (and I can’t remember if I’ve even seen III all the way through), but it feels like I’m missing more and more references, Ahsoka Tahn being in Mandalorian, for example, so I’m embarking on what I think is a complete chronological rewatch.

I’ve watched I and II, and now I’m doing The Clone Wars in chronological order. It’s pretty good, I was never sure how ‘essential’ it was deemed to be by fans in general. Then I’ll do III, then however the rest goes (I forget exactly where Rebels and Resistance goes ... any others worth checking out? What is and what isn’t canon is still seems unclear...)

I’ve only seen a handful of Clone Wars episodes and already, Anakin is such a long way ahead of his character in the films. This is the guy Obi Wan called a cunning warrior and a good friend. This is the stuff that we needed to see in the films. I know the performances are widely bad in the prequels, but I still struggle to believe that Hayden Christensen isn’t partially to blame here. Did he get specifically directed to give Padmé a super creepy, letchy grin after she specifically tells him to stop looking at her like that? The ‘love’ scenes in II are just unwatchable.

Sorry, I know it’s old ground, I always thought it was bad, but just didn’t know The Clone Wars created a far better character and cast someone else who could act in the role, albeit only a voice.

Yes, The Clone Wars essentially redeemed the prequels era and gave us a lot of worthy characters. It humanizes the clones and gives more character to the background Jedi we see in the movies, thus making us care more about their downfall when it happens.

Rebels is set between the Episodes III and IV, but closer to IV. It ends very close to the the events in Rogue One. If your intent is to understand the universe better ahead of The Mandalorian season 2, then rumors are there might be a character or two from Rebels popping up, too. Both CW and Rebels go into Mandalorian culture, too, only it's pre-Empire, and the don't remove your helmet ideology is not followed. And the Darksabre is featured in both shows. 

Btw, by chronological order, do you mean you're following this? https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Btw, by chronological order, do you mean you're following this? https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Yep, that’s the one. Thanks for the info. The Darksabre was the kinda thing I was talking about, the way that closed out the first season of Mandalorian made me think it was supposed to be familiar.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yeah Clone Wars is great! I only watched it this year and was very glad to have done so. I generally agree with everything you've said here.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I forget exactly where Rebels and Resistance goes ...

Resistance starts some weeks before The Force Awakens, and ends some weeks after The Last Jedi. It's not essential viewing.

The end of Rebels has original trilogy spoilers, and the last arc of Clone Wars overlaps with Revenge of the Sith, but that's not a problem when you've already seen the movies. It just makes a chronological watch of all of Star Wars a bit tricky.

The last 4 episodes of CW is the only part overlapping with RotS at least, they're effectively an animated movie and a damn good one at that. I wonder if a super long cut of the two together into chronological order would improve RotS or harm the TCW arc. I think for me at least it would do the former.

I just recently started Clone Wars for the first time. I’m about finished with S2. I’m a bit on the fence whether or not I’ll watch Rebels or not. Even just finishing Clone Wars feels like a massive undertaking since it’s so many episodes, but I’m starting to get pretty into it. 

I’ve heard Rebels is aimed at kids a bit more, which would also kind of put me off. I’m mostly interested in all the different Jedi from the prequels that we didn’t learn much about in the movies. They’ve been my favorite part of Clone Wars so far. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I just recently started Clone Wars for the first time. I’m about finished with S2. I’m a bit on the fence whether or not I’ll watch Rebels or not. Even just finishing Clone Wars feels like a massive undertaking since it’s so many episodes, but I’m starting to get pretty into it. 

I’ve heard Rebels is aimed at kids a bit more, which would also kind of put me off. I’m mostly interested in all the different Jedi from the prequels that we didn’t learn much about in the movies. They’ve been my favorite part of Clone Wars so far. 

Rebels may start a little YA in tone, but there are some great scenes for kids and grown ups alike as it progresses.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

You should at least watch some of rebels. The stuff with Vader is really good. The show is more consistent than Clone Wars, which has some episodes you could skip and lose nothing. 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, Nictarion said:

Rebels feels like it's aimed at a younger audience than The Clone Wars for mayyyybe the first episode, maybe the first two. Then they say sod it and just go back to business as normal. It also gets way darker than The Clone Wars at times (TCW can't go "full dark" because it's saving that up for RotS).

I think Rebels is a stronger, and certainly much more consistent and coherent show than The Clone Wars, and The Clone Wars is pretty good when it's on form.

Maybe I’ll do Rebels when I’m done with Clone Wars then. I’m still undecided whether or not I’m going to pay for Disney Plus though when my free year through Verizon is up. I was originally thinking about just doing it for a month so I could watch the new season of The Mandalorian.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Maybe I’ll do Rebels when I’m done with Clone Wars then.

Do it.

Soldiering through The Clone Wars' seasons can feel like a campaign. But an affinity for the characters builds quickly and by the end of season 7 you'll be able to list off a platoon of them. Since it dovetails into The Revenge of the Sith the end is bittersweet but its still a worthy journey to get there.

And when you finish The Clone Wars consider this. The best dozen or so episodes of The Clone Wars are easily matched by the best dozen episodes of Rebels.

Another reason to watch Rebels after The Clone Wars is you get to follow the best character arc of any Star Wars figure in any media. You may not be up to that part of TCW where this character (re)appears but you'll need to also watch Rebels to see the arcs progression and conclusion. You won't be disappointed.

Archived