Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

10 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I somehow suspect that Padme liked her love interests to be well-spoken, well-groomed, and clean, preferably with some kind of light flowery scent.

Unlike her daughter, who definitely went after the dirty, rugged guy.

If that's the case, Obi-wan was better spoken AND better groomed (no rat tail for him) than Anakin. He was a delightful gentleman!

1 minute ago, Vaughn said:

If that's the case, Obi-wan was better spoken AND better groomed (no rat tail for him) than Anakin. He was a delightful gentleman!

And they got along rather well, didn't they?

My personal headcanon is that if Anakin hadn't been the one hitting on her, Obi-wan would definitely have been Padme's crush.

And I don't think it's just me. The ending of episode 3 kinda suggests that kind of dynamic.

In fact, call me crazy, but I think that's why they created Duchess Satine as Obi-wan's love interest. It would have been difficult to keep the Anakin-Padme mismatch for entire seasons, when Obi-wan so much better in every possible way.

Damn, maybe I'm the one who had the hots for Obi-wan... Though if that's the case, I'm pretty sure something like 80% of the StarWars fandom is with me on this one.

5 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Heh reminds me of the Robot Chicken clip where Obi-Wan is looking in a mirror, using his Force persuasion power to convince himself he’s a good dating prospect:

”You’re a handsome man for your age ... I am a handsome man for my age.”

”You have a lot to offer a woman ... I have a lot to offer a woman.”

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

You have to be fucked-up to fall for a guy you first met as Jake Lloyd. Anakin has no attractive qualities (unless you want to count his looks) in AOTC. He is a whiny, spoiled, self-righteous, fascist brat.

I'd say what's fucked up is him coming back with his dead mom describing in detail how he just committed genocide and she's just like "aw that's ok sweetheart, poor you."

22 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I always have success with the good old 'when I'm not with you I can't breathe' line, especially when I demonstrate that this actually true...

Yeah, yeah, I know that's what they tell us in the story that she didn't have time and all ... or rather that's what they have in the scenes with her parents and sister. But what she actually likes about him as a person is still completely unclear. Which is something the movie should have told us.

What if the reason she was that into him is because he has a huge hog.  Is that supposed to be something the movie tells us?

I find that the novelization of Revenge of the Sith shows kind of why anyone would be into Anakin, he's basically a rock star.  Yes that wasn't in the movies and probably should have been but still.

56 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

What if the reason she was that into him is because he has a huge hog.  Is that supposed to be something the movie tells us?

I find that the novelization of Revenge of the Sith shows kind of why anyone would be into Anakin, he's basically a rock star.  Yes that wasn't in the movies and probably should have been but still.

But that was the Anakin at the end of the Clone War, not the nobody padawan from AOTC Padmé fell for.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

I'd say what's fucked up is him coming back with his dead mom describing in detail how he just committed genocide and she's just like "aw that's ok sweetheart, poor you."

I guess we are supposed to assume there that Padmé sees the difference there between Anakin running amok after seeing a tribe of 'evil people' abduct, rape, torture, and kill his mother and him deliberately butching his fellow Jedi and, especially, the Jedi children.

But I agree that Padmé not giving a damn about Tusken children as compared Jedi children was always very odd - one of the many unintentionally funny moments in the movies.

This is what I meant when I referenced that Lucas actually sees Padmé-Anakin as a dysfunctional romance/relationship. Padmé not caring about the Sand People - if we take it seriously, for a moment - means that she is so obsessed with/into Anakin that she can just brush that aside.

And that means she is nearly as twisted a person as Anakin himself - who ends up joining Palpatine basically for the false promise of saving Padmé's life. It would have been great if this kind of Padmé's character would have actually been explored - if she had similar fears about losing people, etc. as Anakin had.

Anakin cannot let go of Padmé at all, and she can only do it when she confronts him on Mustafar. If she was 'more normal' she should have never entered into a relationship with him ... or at least broken up with him when she realized that his fascist leanings weren't just 'a joke' - which she should have realized before ROTS.

21 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Honestly, that's the whole problem with the prequels - Obiwan made Anakin look like a sullen chump at every turn.

That is the conceptual problem of there being only three prequels. With TPM being a thing, the actual PT should have started with AOTC - to be able to cover both Anakin's training as well as him and Obi-Wan being great friends.

If you take only the PT the only time Anakin and Obi-Wan are friends are the first twenty minutes or so of ROTS.

TCW rectified that to a point, but it only takes place after AOTC - while not elaborating on the time Anakin was Obi-Wan's apprentice.

We never really learn how Anakin became this arrogant and self-involved. And what role Palpatine played in all that. More focus on that era could have made everything more believable, too.

21 hours ago, Rippounet said:

And they got along rather well, didn't they?

My personal headcanon is that if Anakin hadn't been the one hitting on her, Obi-wan would definitely have been Padme's crush.

And I don't think it's just me. The ending of episode 3 kinda suggests that kind of dynamic.

In fact, call me crazy, but I think that's why they created Duchess Satine as Obi-wan's love interest. It would have been difficult to keep the Anakin-Padme mismatch for entire seasons, when Obi-wan so much better in every possible way.

Damn, maybe I'm the one who had the hots for Obi-wan... Though if that's the case, I'm pretty sure something like 80% of the StarWars fandom is with me on this one.

The issue I'm having is what the hell Padmé sees in that arrogant, whiny man-child. There is just not much attractive about a whiny Hayden Christensen.

I know they cut far too much dialogue and that the script makes the thing somewhat better, but if Anakin just succeeds there because he hits on her again and again - which is how their romance goes - then her utter devotion to him in the wake of the Tusken massacre is just weird.

Thus the point I made about the story perhaps making more sense if we the movie had bothered with giving us Padmé's reason why she is into Anakin even after the Tusken incident.

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Ah, the novelization that is ten times better than the film itself. Rare, but not unheard of.

Archived