Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I forgot about the show. 

You guys are weird just pretending Crystal Skull doesn't exist. Shouldn't we "never forget" as opposed to falling into denialism? 

Just as some people aren't worthy of statues, some stories aren't worthy of movies.

Which is not to say that there is no mention of these things out there - perhaps a Library of Horrors will have a book or two of information on the vile swill you seek!

6 hours ago, Denvek said:

The order should be Clone Wars, then Rebels, then The Mandalorian. There are elements in each that feed into the next

Clone Wars, then Solo, then Rebels, then The Mandalorian.

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Thanks.  I've heard that before.  Not on Disney+ unless it also has another name?

The people you've heard it from are perhaps not the most trustworthy bunch :rolleyes: The Holiday Special makes the Ewok movies look good.

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

That's 7 and 4 seasons each! I thought they were standalones or single seasons.  I'm tempted to watch the Mandalorian first for reasons of time. 

Are you in that much of a hurry to stop watching Star Wars? Surely it's a good thing that there are enough episodes to keep you entertained for a nice long while?

2 hours ago, felice said:

Are you in that much of a hurry to stop watching Star Wars? Surely it's a good thing that there are enough episodes to keep you entertained for a nice long while?

Not in a hurry at all.  I just like the sense of accomplishment that comes from checking things off mental lists.  If, as seems to be the consensus, Clone Wars and Rebels are both worth the watching, that's all to the good.  I may not binge watch them or watch them exclusively as I have been with the movies, but I'll get there. 

So I've decided to watch the IJ movies starting next week and will start a new thread with my reactions.  

I'm also starting the Clone Wars.  I may cheat and watch episode 1 of the Mandalorian tho, just to get a feel. 

I've never watched the Terminator movies.  Are they good?

13 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The first one is typical 80s sci fi action.  The second is a legit great movie.  After that it’s a crap shoot and a couple of failed reboots.

31 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The first two are very good, the third has some good elements, and the TV series is excellent but lacks resolution due to premature cancellation.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

What else haven't you watched? Have you seen Spaceballs?

No.  Sounds cool though.  I'll check it out. 

7 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Harry Potter.

I have read and watched all of Harry Potter.  Even the weird play.  But just for you @Jace, Basilissa, I will go through the top fantasy/scifi movies of all time and identified the ones I haven't watched.  Bladerunner, Alien v Predator, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future are amongst them. 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I have read and watched all of Harry Potter.  Even the weird play.  But just for you @Jace, Basilissa, I will go through the top fantasy/scifi movies of all time and identified the ones I haven't watched.  Bladerunner, Alien v Predator, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future are amongst them. 

In what universe is Alien v Predator a “top sci-fi movie”? :P

16 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Well there are only three Indiana Jones films, so that won't be too much of a time sink - just watch them in order- Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade.

Don't pay any attention to what the internet may say, there are only three films.

Has there been any further talk of IJ sequels? I was under the impression Ford had signed on for one but haven't cared enough to really try and follow news on that front 

16 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I haven't seen any of the IJ movies.  Have seen a few of the Bond movies (the more recent ones).  I'd be happy to do either from the beginning if there's interest from others.  Do you have a preference?

I've also never seen Star Trek apart from a few episodes here and there.  :uhoh:

Watching all of the Bond movies would be quite a lengthy undertaking. Some are very dated now but it would be interesting to see your feelings on it. Particularly would like to see who your favourite Bond turns out to be, and which film you like the most. 

But you should finish the Star Wars stuff first! I would still recommend watching Solo. It's not the best film but I don't think it was some awful travesty as others seem to have said. I would say it is average/passable. I think I was most disappointed by how under utilised Thandie Newton and Woody Harrelson were!

This is great. Love transitioning to IJ movies. 

Honestly, the other SW series are good for the most part, but it’s completely different than the movies and it’s quite a time investment.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan from childhood (Empire Strikes Back was my first movie theater experience at 2 years old, and my mom took me and my brothers out of school to watch RoTJ the day it came out). But I only watched the cartoon series because my children got into it so I would watch with them Saturday mornings. Good stuff, but could have went my whole life happily not seeing them. 

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

By Alien v Predator, do you mean that you didn't watch anything from those two franchises, or just that movie?

46 minutes ago, unJon said:

This is great. Love transitioning to IJ movies. 

Honestly, the other SW series are good for the most part, but it’s completely different than the movies and it’s quite a time investment.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan from childhood (Empire Strikes Back was my first movie theater experience at 2 years old, and my mom took me and my brothers out of school to watch RoTJ the day it came out). But I only watched the cartoon series because my children got into it so I would watch with them Saturday mornings. Good stuff, but could have went my whole life happily not seeing them. 

Right.  The SW movies are a transformative experience and I have/had highbrow colleagues who were ubernerds for it.  I'm glad I got to see what the fuss was about.  Totally worth it.  Would you say, beyond GoT for which fandom is assumed, there were any movies/tv shows that made a similar impression? 

For me, as a dinosaur nerd growing up, Jurassic Park was probably the closest.  I got to see all the dinosaurs of my imagination transferred to the screen.  

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Has there been any further talk of IJ sequels? I was under the impression Ford had signed on for one but haven't cared enough to really try and follow news on that front 

Watching all of the Bond movies would be quite a lengthy undertaking. Some are very dated now but it would be interesting to see your feelings on it. Particularly would like to see who your favourite Bond turns out to be, and which film you like the most. 

But you should finish the Star Wars stuff first! I would still recommend watching Solo. It's not the best film but I don't think it was some awful travesty as others seem to have said. I would say it is average/passable. I think I was most disappointed by how under utilised Thandie Newton and Woody Harrelson were!

I will watch Solo.  I assume it's the story of the Kessel run? 

Re Bond, I've heard so much of Sean Connery that I'm quite embarrassed only having seen Brosnan and Craig productions.  Even with the Craig movies the storyline sort of morphs or breaks down from movie to movie. 

42 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Wasn't there one that James Cameron made that is supposed to be a great movie? 

Alien - Ridley Scott

Aliens - James Cameron

These are the best Alien movies. The rest are lower, much lower in quality. Ridley Scott's prequels, The Prometheus movies are... not good.

Predator with Arnold is great. Predator 2 and Predators are ok. The new Predator is trash.

Alien v Predator is ok, but mostly meh, and PG-13 which is a sin. Its sequel is trash.

Archived