Jump to content
Gaston de Foix

Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Has there been any further talk of IJ sequels? I was under the impression Ford had signed on for one but haven't cared enough to really try and follow news on that front 

Yeah they've been writing the fifth one for a while, supposedly they finally have a good script but Spielberg isn't gonna direct anymore the guy who did Logan is. No word on what it's about, but they've been clear it's not a pass the torch to LeBouf kinda thing. 

@Gaston de Foix You're not alone! or is this you?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/21/review-watching-star-wars-for-the-first-time-on-disney-plus.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2020 at 1:16 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Has there been any further talk of IJ sequels? I was under the impression Ford had signed on for one but haven't cared enough to really try and follow news on that front

Yeah, as RumHam mentions, there is apparently another film in the works. Given Ford's age though, I'm not sure if Indiana Jones is going to be much more than a head in a jar.

Edited by Soylent Brown
Replacing 'such sure' (??) with 'not sure'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Right.  The SW movies are a transformative experience and I have/had highbrow colleagues who were ubernerds for it.  I'm glad I got to see what the fuss was about.  Totally worth it.  Would you say, beyond GoT for which fandom is assumed, there were any movies/tv shows that made a similar impression? 

For me, as a dinosaur nerd growing up, Jurassic Park was probably the closest.  I got to see all the dinosaurs of my imagination transferred to the screen.  

For TV shows my top recs would be:

sopranos

the wire

breaking bad

Let me think a bit on movie recs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've met people who hate Last Crusade though I've never really understood why. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Right.  The SW movies are a transformative experience and I have/had highbrow colleagues who were ubernerds for it.  I'm glad I got to see what the fuss was about.  Totally worth it.  Would you say, beyond GoT for which fandom is assumed, there were any movies/tv shows that made a similar impression? 

For me, as a dinosaur nerd growing up, Jurassic Park was probably the closest.  I got to see all the dinosaurs of my imagination transferred to the screen.  

Many feel similarly about (various iterations of) Star Trek.

Also while we're recommending you excellent movies (though I'm doubling down on recommending the Star Wars tv stuff), if you are already familiar with Star Trek then I thoroughly recommend Galaxy Quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, felice said:

The first two are very good, the third has some good elements, and the TV series is excellent but lacks resolution due to premature cancellation.

Are you referring to the Sarah Connor Chronicles?, I really enjoyed that show and was so annoyed when it got cancelled early, although it did work out quite well for Lena Heady!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, unJon said:

For TV shows my top recs would be:

sopranos

the wire

breaking bad

Let me think a bit on movie recs. 

Agreed, I’d like to add Deadwood to your list too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen'ari said:

Are you referring to the Sarah Connor Chronicles?, I really enjoyed that show and was so annoyed when it got cancelled early, although it did work out quite well for Lena Heady!

Yep. I didn't have high expectations going in because I wasn't sure the premise could sustain a whole series (and the later movies definitely show diminishing returns!) but I found it quite compelling. And I liked how it incorporated T3. It could really use a novel or comic series or something to wrap up the story. Maybe audio plays, if they can get the original cast back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fell off the wagon.  I was only going to watch 1 episode of the Mandalorian but I looked up and now I'm watching chapter 4: Sanctuary. 

My thoughts so far:  I knew Baby Yoda was coming because I saw the margheritas on twitter.  But this show is really good.  Just loads of fun.  Is the plotting a little too predictable at times?  Yes.  Does it suck you have Pedro Pascal as the lead and you never even see his face?  Yes, but I'm hoping that will be remedied at some point.  And the worldbuilding and culture is excellent.  Plus, baby Yoda!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

Right.  The SW movies are a transformative experience and I have/had highbrow colleagues who were ubernerds for it.  I'm glad I got to see what the fuss was about.  Totally worth it.  Would you say, beyond GoT for which fandom is assumed, there were any movies/tv shows that made a similar impression? 

For me, as a dinosaur nerd growing up, Jurassic Park was probably the closest.  I got to see all the dinosaurs of my imagination transferred to the screen.  

When I was a kid I loved Star Wars, had the toys, all that. I was only two years old when the original movie came out though, I saw it when it came back around in 81, then my friend down the street got it on laserdisc (tron and The Black Hole too). I never even saw Empire in the theater, my friend took care of spoiling the major spoil for me. When Jedi came out I didn't go because I was too scared to see Jabba on the big screen, when it came back around the next year I was ready though.

What I'm trying to say in my usual round about way is while I enjoyed Star Wars it wasn't that transformative thing you mentioned, it was just something that I really liked and was always around. When He -man, Transformers, New G.I.Joe came out Star Wars was put way on the back shelf.

But then in 1985, Back to the Future came out and that was the movie that had the major impact on me. It was the greatest movie I ever saw.

Ghostbusters a year before almost was that for me but at 9 years old it also scared me pretty bad, when that came back again the next year I handled it much better and totally loved it.

The other franchise I wanted to make sure to mention is the Christopher Reeve Superman films. I was too young to see the first two in theaters, but when the first movie came in TV I recorded it on Betamax and watched it a million times, not only because I loved it but because my father was a fan of Superman as well, we bonded over it, it is a very special franchise to me.

Oh, and Trek. I watched the original series in reruns as a kid and liked it, but I loved the movies! Star Trek 2, 3, and 4 make a wonderful trilogy that to me is on par with the original Star Wars trilogy. It's also a great place to start for anyone wanting to get into the franchise, Star Trek 6 I'd recommend as well, it serves as a great coda for the trilogy. 

When TNG started I paid mild interest in it, but when it got into its 3rd season I got really into it and became a full fledged trekkie for about a decade. TNG is great and Deep Space Nine is my favorite Trek.

There was also Babylon 5. I fell completely in love with that show, it was just amazing. I hesitate recommending it though because I'm afraid these days the heavy amount of early to mid 90's CGI might turn people off.

There's also Firefly, fantastic series!!! Only one season and a.movie, any fan of.sci-fi/fantasy must watch it!

Also a few movies that I think are great must see films:

The Last Starfighter

Willow

The Princess Bride

The Goonies (any fan of Indiana Jones needs to watch this)

Gremlins (1 & 2)

Alien

Aliens

The Terminator

T2

Total Recall (1990)

Robocop (1987)

Bumblebee (recent film but after I saw it, it immediately became one of my top 10 favorite films. It's as good as the other live-action Transformers movies are bad...minus the first one...that was pretty much ok.

Sorry for the long reply, I live to talk this stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 6:20 PM, Rhom said:

The first one is typical 80s sci fi action.  The second is a legit great movie.  After that it’s a crap shoot and a couple of failed reboots.

Dark Fate is also legitimately great. Excellent sequel that didn't get enough attention because of the many failed attempts at continuing the series.

Re: Indiana Jones, I don't understand why people want to pretend the alien one doesn't exist, but not the racist as balls one. Like god damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Re: Indiana Jones, I don't understand why people want to pretend the alien one doesn't exist, but not the racist as balls one. Like god damn.

Temple of Doom gets a lot of undeserved flack, but I think it’s a genuinely great callback to a more classic action genre. It’s a real distillation of what George Lucas was trying to achieve. I don’t even mind the screaming Willie Scott, she’s a hell of a lot better than Elsa Sneider in Last Crusade.


It is definitely 1000 times superior to the Crystal numbskull

As for Dark Fate being a great movie.. I don’t even know where to start with such a statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Temple of Doom gets a lot of undeserved flack, but I think it’s a genuinely great callback to a more classic action genre. It’s a real distillation of what George Lucas was trying to achieve. I don’t even mind the screaming Willie Scott, she’s a hell of a lot better than Elsa Sneider in Last Crusade.


It is definitely 1000 times superior to the Crystal numbskull

As for Dark Fate being a great movie.. I don’t even know where to start with such a statement.

Racism? Was he trying to achieve just being racist as fuck? Cause sure it distilled a whole lot of racism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Racism? Was he trying to achieve just being racist as fuck? Cause sure it distilled a whole lot of racism.

Ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Re: Indiana Jones, I don't understand why people want to pretend the alien one doesn't exist, but not the racist as balls one. Like god damn.

Temple of Doom was shot in Sri Lanka because the Indian government refused permission to film there, purely because of the offensive stereotyping and racism. On release, it was banned in India for the same reasons.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/what-was-the-indian-response-to-temple-of-doom-upon-release

Also, it's a fairly weak movie in other respects. Not going to derail the thread by getting into those, but yeah, it has not aged well and absent the nostalgia value has nothing over Crystal Skull at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is Indiana Jones the only series where everyone agreed what the ranking order is 1,3,2,4.

Are there people that dont have it that way round? 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mormont said:

Temple of Doom was shot in Sri Lanka because the Indian government refused permission to film there, purely because of the offensive stereotyping and racism. On release, it was banned in India for the same reasons.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/what-was-the-indian-response-to-temple-of-doom-upon-release

Also, it's a fairly weak movie in other respects. Not going to derail the thread by getting into those, but yeah, it has not aged well and absent the nostalgia value has nothing over Crystal Skull at all.

A lot of the controversy around it’s release in India was because it depicted Indian cuisine as monkey brains and eyeballs, which was seen to be offensive to a largely vegetarian country. ( completely missing the point that the scene is meant to be a send up of western views of India, the prince serving up what westerners expected)

Sure there was also the ‘white saviour trope’ but this had more to do with the depiction of Christianity saving Hinduism than anything around race.

The other issue was the depiction of Kali as a god.

As a general point, Indiana Jones uses nationalistic stereotypes for almost all its characters, that’s just what it does. 
 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I thought Indiana Jones was the only series where everyone agreed what the ranking order is 1,3,2,4.

Are there people that dont have it that way round? 

Id say that was the excepted ordering. I do think that Last Crusade is pretty terrible from the point River Phoenix leaves to screen until Sean Connery arrives but after that it’s great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Last Crusade, but Temple of Doom sucks and I advise you to skip it. I was shown the 1st and 3rd films as a child but not the 2nd, and when I watched it a few years ago I realised why. Any racism aside (which I’ll freely admit I didn’t notice at the time, but don’t deny its existence), it’s just crap and you don’t need to see it.

 

I can’t speak for the rest of the Star Wars media because I’ve only watched the films. Rogue One and Solo are both decent IMO. Watch Terminator 1 and 2 and then stop.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is Indiana Jones the only series where everyone agreed what the ranking order is 1,3,2,4.

Are there people that dont have it that way round? 

Last Crusade is my favorite, maybe because I saw it first. Raiders is a very close second. I prefer 4 over 2 because of the setting, premise, and Cate Blanchett.

Edited by Corvinus85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...