Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

Skip Temple of Doom? Crystal Skull over Temple of Doom?? I personally love it. The opening, the mine car chase, the bridge, a great sidekick in Short Round...

I’d rewatch it any day over Crystal Skull. And wasting Cate Blanchett by having her doing a terrible Russian accent should definitely not be a point in it’s favor.

I was going to comment on Terminator: Dark Fate and then I realized I never saw it, that was Genisys. So many bad sequels, almost all of them trying to startnew trilogies that never went anywhere.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is Indiana Jones the only series where everyone agreed what the ranking order is 1,3,2,4.

Are there people that dont have it that way round? 

I would definitely agree with that ordering.  Temple of Doom beats out the Crystal Skull.  This may be because whenever I see it, parts of it remind me of the Cary Grant movie Gunga Din, which I have always loved.

This thread's got me interested in watching the clone wars series, rather than just the bits and pieces I've seen, and the thing that sticks out to me after the first couple of episodes is, damn they don't pull any punches with showing the clones going down.

Also the separatists are war criminals.

32 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

damn they don't pull any punches with the clones going down.

Man... didn’t expect explicit sexual content with a kids show...

:leaving: 

On 7/1/2020 at 11:23 AM, Leofric said:

I would definitely agree with that ordering.  Temple of Doom beats out the Crystal Skull.  This may be because whenever I see it, parts of it remind me of the Cary Grant movie Gunga Din, which I have always loved.

The relationship to Gunga Din was intentional even up to a thinly veiled reference to the events in Gunga Din actually having happened in Indiana Jones' reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Stuckmann just released a video on why Temple of Doom is awesome. He is correct.

Actually watching this video has reminded me how many brilliant scenes are in ToD, it is jam packed with iconic sequences. I'm changing my order, I'm not putting it in second place in front of the over rated Last Crusade.

New animated series, The Bad Batch to come to Disney+ in 2021. Dave Filoni as EP.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/star-wars-the-bad-batch-new-animated-series-ordered-by-disney-1202984190/

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch – a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

Seems really obvious now, they spent a lot of time introducing them in the final season of The Clone Wars. 

I wonder if they order 66'd anyone? I could see one of them carrying a light saber of a Jedi he killed. 

Yeah I think we were all hoping for the Ahsoka and Sabine search for Ezra show. But hey at least this show will probably tell more of Rex's story. and who knows who else could show up. (Hondo!) 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah I think we were all hoping for the Ahsoka and Sabine search for Ezra show. But hey at least this show will probably tell more of Rex's story. and who knows who else could show up. (Hondo!) 

I think they're currently assessing that as a live-action project, and will base their decision on live-action Ahsoka's reception in Season 2 of The Mandalorian.

It just seems odd to me that Disney paid a billion dollars for the franchise just so they could expand that part of their theme park  and to give Filoni a place to play around with cartoons.

Disney paid 4 billion.  They have already recouped that and more, and seem set to be pulling in tens of millions, and probably hundreds of millions, in yearly profit from the franchise from here to eternity.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

It just seems odd to me that Disney paid a billion dollars for the franchise just so they could expand that part of their theme park  and to give Filoni a place to play around with cartoons.

Well, there's the enormously successful live-action show they just did as well. I suspect that expanding things in that direction is their next priority, and they're giving Filoni these pet projects before getting him (maybe with Favreau) to spearhead the next phase of the films. Filoni seems to be their main resource at the moment for doing something that's new whilst also touching base with the classic Star Wars tropes (I know some people are a bit wary of the introduction of the space/time doorway thing he introduced as not being very Star Wars-y, but I suspect they're not going to go to that well very often, or maybe ever again).

I think the notion that somehow Disney isn't absurdly happy with the amount of money they spent on Star Wars and what they got back is pretty insane. They're probably happier with Marvel, given how little it cost them, but Star Wars by virtually every account has been a monstrously successful investment so far. Even with TRoS not doing super amazing at the box office. The Mandalorian alone is almost worth it with how well it brought people on the streaming platform. 

They're probably not super thrilled with Kennedy and Abrams, but making a 300m-500m profit per movie AND having crazy merchandising AND having extra theme park traffic from a lot of people who didn't go to disney before? And having exclusive rights to the backlog of the Star Wars movies on their streaming service, which are some of the most rewatched movies ever? They're doing just fine. 

On 7/14/2020 at 8:37 AM, RumHam said:

I would love any show, real life or animated, which explored this. And Hondo! Having watched Rebels before Clone Wars, it only dawned during CW that Hondo was basically...

Spoiler

Long John Silver. And if Ezra is his Jim Hawkins then it would be fitting for an elder Hondo to tag along with, or follow, Ashoka & Sabine. 

Archived