Star Wars: The Saga Continues

Gaston de Foix

16 hours ago, Relic said:

would you accept a Luke that was re-cast and NOT played by Hamill? 

I'd prefer Hamill, he's already familiar with the sets from last season. But done right, a good re-cast is also acceptable. I wouldn't want Luke appearing just for fan service - but if the setting is 5yrs after RotJ, when presumably the preeminent Jedi/Force wielder around is Luke, then any emerging Force wielder causing perturbations in the Force should attract his attention.

I think Feloni & Favreau may have inadvertently backed themselves into a corner, narratively - with how well baby Yoda has been received (Steve Urkel was originally intended to be a one-time guest appearance in Family Matters). Di$ney execs would be looking over their shoulders and whispering if the show can be re-titled to something like Baby Yoda & the Mandalorian, or Bayda and the Bounty Hunter. Having a Jedi or ex-Jedi turn up to chaperone Baby Yoda away for a few episodes might help them out.

On 8/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, RumHam said:

I wish they'd re-cast or used de-aging to do a sequel trilogy where the main trio was 30-40 instead of what they did.  

They still could with a carrie fisher face on another actor but i still think the tech is a few years off being fully convincing and not distracting

16 hours ago, ithanos said:

I think Feloni & Favreau may have inadvertently backed themselves into a corner, narratively - with how well baby Yoda has been received (Steve Urkel was originally intended to be a one-time guest appearance in Family Matters). Di$ney execs would be looking over their shoulders and whispering if the show can be re-titled to something like Baby Yoda & the Mandalorian, or Bayda and the Bounty Hunter. Having a Jedi or ex-Jedi turn up to chaperone Baby Yoda away for a few episodes might help them out.

Or they could kill him off so they could literally hear millions of voices cry out in anguish. :devil: 

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Or they could kill him off so they could literally hear millions of voices cry out in anguish. :devil: 

Force ghost baby yoda just follows Mando around for the rest of the series annoying him. 

12 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It boggles my fucking mind that people would rather see a film devote time and effort towards ghoulish efforts at cinematic grave robbing than see a recast.

I would have taken either to get a proper continuation of the OT and not the "passing the baton and killing them off" thing we got. Though I did like CGI Rogue One Tarkin better than "Epsiode 3 deleted scene recast" Tarkin. "cinematic grave robbing" seems a little dramatic. It's not like they had Fisher's CGI ghost doing beer commercials or anything. Her family supported using her image. 

Just finished 'Rebels' last night and one take away is that Abrams and Terrio should never be allowed near Star Wars again. I was legitimately moved by a Disney XD cartoon sticking the landing, unlike every 'moment' in the Rise of Skywalker.

On 8/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

It boggles my fucking mind that people would rather see a film devote time and effort towards ghoulish efforts at cinematic grave robbing than see a recast.

I'd much rather they recast but for those wanting younger versions of the original actors the morbid option of using Fisher's face is still there. Personally if I were an actor I'd probably make sure people couldn't use my image to generate new material but I guess family can be persuaded if the money is good enough. Maybe they should start listing actors' faces like important buildings so they can't be tarnished afterwards?

I'm also fine with them just using Hamil. It's not like actors (especially male ones) don't play characters much younger than they are. 

On 8/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, red snow said:

I'd much rather they recast but for those wanting younger versions of the original actors the morbid option of using Fisher's face is still there. Personally if I were an actor I'd probably make sure people couldn't use my image to generate new material but I guess family can be persuaded if the money is good enough. Maybe they should start listing actors' faces like important buildings so they can't be tarnished afterwards?

I'm also fine with them just using Hamil. It's not like actors (especially male ones) don't play characters much younger than they are. 

There is no compelling narrative reason to go back to the now thoroughly exhausted Skywalker well. Ahsoka, Sabine, even Ezra could be brought into the Mando without having to somehow retcon them out of the new trilogy because none of them appear there, much like the baby Yoda, Mandalorians and the Darksaber don't.

6 hours ago, Vaughn said:

There is no compelling narrative reason to go back to the now thoroughly exhausted Skywalker well. Ahsoka, Sabine, even Ezra could be brought into the Mando without having to somehow retcon them out of the new trilogy because none of them appear there, much like the baby Yoda, Mandalorians and the Darksaber don't.

Both Ahsoka and Ezra are in ROTS the same amount of time as Anakin.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

??? I'm bad with acronyms, are you using the right one?

First time I've noticed revenge of the sith and rise of the Skywalker are same. Guessing it's about the latter in terms of voiceover presence.

22 minutes ago, red snow said:

First time I've noticed revenge of the sith and rise of the Skywalker are same. Guessing it's about the latter in terms of voiceover presence.

It’s not Rise of the Skywalkwer, is The Rise of Skywalker.  That’s why they are similar but not the same.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

It’s not Rise of the Skywalkwer, is The Rise of Skywalker.  That’s why they are similar but not the same.

Ah that makes sense and avoids a lot of confusion (but clearly not all)

I think technically it should be called 'Rise of "Skywalker"' because Rey just claimed that name after the real Skywalkers were all conveniently dead. Do we even know Owen Lars didn't have some actual blood relatives with a better claim to the farm than some offworlder? SMH.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’m a bit of a Star Wars apologist, and I love most of them despite their flaws, but man is The Rise of Skywalker an absolutely terrible title. 

To be fair... it’s an absolutely terrible movie.

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’m a bit of a Star Wars apologist, and I love most of them despite their flaws, but man is The Rise of Skywalker an absolutely terrible title. 

Most of the Star Wars movies have terrible titles. I mean, when the best titles in the series are probably The Empire Strikes Back (leading to the joke that Star Wars should have been retcon-named The Empire Strikes rather than the insipid A New Hope) and The Force Awakens, you have a problem with naming conventions. Although I'm pretty sure that picking terrible names is baked into the franchise at this point.

Since when is The Return of the Jedi a bad title? :blink:

Or The Empire Strikes Back for that matter? I mean I'll give you A New Hope and Phantom Menace. Even Attack of the Clones if your argument is fun enough. But that's half at most.

Archived