Matching Characters to Targaryen Kings

In this topic we match characters who are alive during the span of the books to the Targaryen Kings. I go first:

Aegon 1 - Daenerys Targaryen. Conquerors with dragons. 

Aenys 1 - Edmure Tully. Well meaning characters but doesn't have enough authority

Maegor 1 - Gregor Clegane. Good at fighting, very violent.

Jaehaerys 1 - Master Aemon. Wise and looking for smallfolk

Viserys 1 - Renly Baratheon. Well loved well meaning characters but not to be trusted in crysis

Aegon 2 -Tywin Lannister. Ruthless and amoral, desires power although not as smart as Tywin

Aegon 3 - Sandor Clegane. Have trauma in childhood. Well meaning, very distanced from people

Daerion 1 - Robb Stark. Great commanders but not very good with diplomacy which causes their downfall

Baelor 1 - High Sparrow. Overly zealots

Viserys 2 - Jon Arryn. Successful administrators doesn't have much recognition

Aegon 4 - Robert Baratheon. Take Robert Baratheon's worst traits and multiply by 10.(Evil Robert)

Daerion 2 - Tyrion Lannister. Use brain instead of muscle, great at diplomacy. Not afraid to think outside social norms

Aerys 1 - Samwell Tarly. Isn't interested in ruling. Prefers reading.

Maekar 1 - Stannis Baratheon. Distanced and anti social. Shadowed by others. Harsh but fair and successful at ruling

Aegon 5 - Jon Snow. Cares for smallfolk. Tries to change things better for them at a cost of making enemies with his court

Jaehaerys 2 - We don't know much about hım. Could be any above average ruler

Aerys 2- Viserys Targaryen. If we lived long enough and become the king he would be exactly like his father

20 minutes ago, pride of the 7 kingdoms said:

Aerys 2- Viserys Targaryen. If we lived long enough and become the king he would be exactly like his father

Lol, the most obvious one, Westeros can have a better sleep with him dead.

I totally agree with your list otherwise.

3 hours ago, pride of the 7 kingdoms said:

I don't think so.  Look closely at what Viserys was able to do.  He was able to survive in the mean streets of the Free Cities while taking care of a little girl.  Powerless, penniless, and humiliated at every turn, he never lost his goal to take his kingdom back from Robert.  Would you be able to say the same if Samwell Tarly was in his boots?

Viserys had a mean streak but that was not unusual for a feudal noble of his era.  All of the top POV characters have a touch of cruel streak in them.  Viserys was abusive to his little sister and that is not something easy to overlook.  In his defense, they were always under stress and in survival mode.  Powerlessness and being penniless cause moral and spiritual corruption.  

Viserys would have been okay if the rebellion had not happened.  The shock and hardships caused by his family's fall were the source of his PTSD.  Take those away and he would have been okay.  I would prefer a King Viserys III over King Rhaegar.  Viserys would never have kidnapped Lyanna Stark unless it was to disrupt the Stark-Baratheon marriage, in which case it would have been alright.  

Many a young man would have made the same mistakes in Vaes Dothrak.  A Theon who was feeling cheated and disrespected would have stormed into the ceremony and made the same demands.  Jon Snow would have also lost his temper if he had felt his family was being insulted, Dothraki rules notwithstanding.  What Viserys did in Vaes Dothrak is not any different from Jon attacking a superior officer after his family was insulted.  

• Aegon I + Visenya + Allisanne + Jaeherys I combine to form the personality of Daenerys.
  • Maegor is most similar to another historical figure, Theon Stark.  They were brutal men who saved their families from persistent enemies.  They needed to exceed the brutality of their enemies to keep their families safe.  Tywin is his equivalent during the time of the story.  They are men who are willing to do what it took to beat the enemy.

4 hours ago, James Steller said:

Personally, I think Stannis has as much in common with Aegon III as he does with Maekar, but I already listed their similarities in another post recently.

Aegon never killed a brother.

The most obvious ones for me are.

Dany- Aegon 1

Robert - Aegon 4

Stannis- Maekar 1

Tywin/Tyrion- Viserys 2

Robb- Daeron 1

Joffrey - Aerys

1 minute ago, frenin said:

Aegon never killed a brother.

That doesn’t discredit the similarities they do have. And to be fair, Aegon III WAS wracked with guilt over a younger brother’s “death” for part of his life. 

17 minutes ago, James Steller said:

That doesn’t discredit the similarities they do have. And to be fair, Aegon III WAS wracked with guilt over a younger brother’s “death” for part of his life. 

Maekar and Stannis have the simmilarities Aegon and Stannis may have and the fact that both of them did kill a brother. Was Maekar's cheerful then?? Besides Stannis was grieving his brother just for like half a year, so sure, it may be Aegon. Aegon was only overshaodowed by his brothers during his infancy, Stannis and Maekar through all their lifes. Aegon adored and never resented his brothers... Stannis and Maekar...

And my father...he never thought the throne would pass to him, and yet it did. He used to say that was his punishment for the blow that slew his brother. I pray he found the peace in death that he never knew in life.

Dany comparison to Aegon I is limited because he stopped fighting and rebuilt Westeros. Dany hasnt really built anything except more armies for herself and tried to care about rebuilding Meereen, but decided that didnt suit her.

I think the Dany-Baelor comparison is underrated. Its drawn directly when she doesnt allow the Meerenese to open the fighting pits. 

17 hours ago, Texas Hold Em said:

I don't think so.  Look closely at what Viserys was able to do.  He was able to survive in the mean streets of the Free Cities while taking care of a little girl. 

They have political importance and were guests of the nobles of the free cities. Not a very comfortable situation but I don't think they need much survival skills. I wouldn't consider him as a survivor type. 

Viserys would have been okay if the rebellion had not happened.  The shock and hardships caused by his family's fall were the source of his PTSD. 

Aerys II was also fine when he was his age. He got mad during the last years of his reign especially after the imprisonment in Duskendale. 

Many a young man would have made the same mistakes in Vaes Dothrak.  A Theon who was feeling cheated and disrespected would have stormed into the ceremony and made the same demands.  Jon Snow would have also lost his temper if he had felt his family was being insulted, Dothraki rules notwithstanding.  What Viserys did in Vaes Dothrak is not any different from Jon attacking a superior officer after his family was insulted.

His family wasn't insulted. Only him. Considering his treatment to his sister, I think he did it only because of his pride, him jealous of his sister and wanted to show authority(which he doesn't have) I don't think Theon or Jon would try to kill his sister's unborn child.

Viserys wasn't as crazy as his father but he definitely shows potential to be like him. Given enough power, time and some bad events to trigger it, I think he could act very similar to his father. Sadly, we can't know this since he's dead but I believe if he lived past the first book and got enough power he would be hated by readers as much as Joffrey or Ramsay. 

4 hours ago, James Steller said:

Personally, I think Stannis has as much in common with Aegon III as he does with Maekar, but I already listed their similarities in another post recently.

I don't think they are very similar. Being antisocial and losing a parent at a young age is a similarity but how they handle it is different. Stannis faces people to do stuff his way. Aegon III doesn't want to confront people at all. I don't think Stannis would be as passive as Aegon III if he would be the King. He wouldn't be much reliant to other people at his court as much as Aegon III did. I can't see Aegon III building army to try to take the throne like Stannis did.

26 minutes ago, pride of the 7 kingdoms said:

I don't think they are very similar. Being antisocial and losing a parent at a young age is a similarity but how they handle it is different. Stannis faces people to do stuff his way. Aegon III doesn't want to confront people at all. I don't think Stannis would be as passive as Aegon III if he would be the King. He wouldn't be much reliant to other people at his court as much as Aegon III did. I can't see Aegon III building army to try to take the throne like Stannis did.

True, but Aegon does face his nobles down during the final chapters of FaB, even before he comes of age. And while Stannis is much more confrontational now, we can’t forget that he spent his younger years being withdrawn yet ultimately obedient to his duties. Aegon was similar in that he didn’t press issues when he knew he was able to be overruled by men like Unwin Peake. He found opportunities to use his authority to his advantage, like when he chose his own bride or refused to allow dragons in his presence. And then when he came of age, he lost no opportunity taking control of his life once and for all, refusing to play the social game and never trusting any nobles again (and rightly so, I might add). Stannis trusts the nobles no more than Aegon III, and he sees no issue with rewarding a smuggler with titles based on merit rather than position. They both stick a middle finger to the hypocrisies they see in convention, stubborn enough not to care about popularity. Plus they ultimately want to provide justice to the people (though Stannis has yet to announce his dancing bears policy).

20 minutes ago, James Steller said:

He didn’t trust Torrhen Manderly, who was one of the last loyal blacks during the war.

He trusted him, in fact going as far to say he was loyal to his mother, but he made clear that he wanted to make his own decisions and have the people he personally choose to serve and counsel him, nor other's impositions.

A king should have a Hand of his own choosing,” said Aegon III, rising to his feet. “You have served me well, no doubt, as you served my mother before me, but it was my lords who chose you. You may return to White Harbor.”

Nothing in his words imply distrust.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 1:06 PM, pride of the 7 kingdoms said:

They have political importance and were guests of the nobles of the free cities. Not a very comfortable situation but I don't think they need much survival skills. I wouldn't consider him as a survivor type. 

That was only after years of wandering the Free Cities.  King Viserys the Third had to sell his mother's crown.  They know what it was like to be hungry.  I would like to toss Edric Storm into the streets with no money and see how he fares.  

Archived