US Politics: “How did we come to this...”

Ser Scot A Ellison

To follow the previous thread - the many arrests of Boogaloo Boys and other right-wingers inciting violence and zero arrests related to antifa* STILL you see the protestors and Antifa maligned for violence. Fuck, last night the president was sharing random videos of violence against white people by black people. Moderating a message to speak to the Right is a fool's errand. 

*(to my knowledge- please correct me)

Lol, you can't make this shit up.

Reporter: Why aren't you wearing a mask?

Pretty white woman: Because I know how to hold my breath.

(said like three feet away from the reporter)

God bless attractive dumb white women. 

Just saw an article about Wall Street billionaires (Stephen Schwartzman of Blackstone and David Solomon of Goldman Sachs.) funding the campaign of one Michelle Caruso-Cabrera in order to defeat AOC in New York's 14th district's primary.

Because of course having one democratically elected radical in Congress is utterly unacceptable.

24 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Just saw an article about Wall Street billionaires (Stephen Schwartzman of Blackstone and David Solomon of Goldman Sachs.) funding the campaign of one Michelle Caruso-Cabrera in order to defeat AOC in New York's 14th district's primary.

Because of course having one democratically elected radical in Congress is utterly unacceptable.

They're welcome to waste their money however they want.  AOC isn't going anywhere.  

Few things I've read this morning.

1) Press were ejected last night from the WH for the first time since 9/11.  No reasons given why and Trumps tweet during that time was clearly not written by him.  People are speculating that it's because he didn't want to be seen going down into his bunker during protests, others think it might be because he's become ill.  Nothing is coming from the WH.

2) Hundreds of gigs of police data (local, state, & federal) was leaked yesterday.  https://www.wired.com/story/blueleaks-anonymous-law-enforcement-hack/ 

DDOSecrets notes that none of the files appear to be classified, and Best concedes that they may not show illegal behavior on the part of police. But the group argues that the documents instead reveal legal but controversial practices, as well as the tone of police discussions around groups like Antifa—for instance, describing white nationalists like Richard Spencer as anti-Antifa, rather than acknowledging that Antifa expressly opposes groups like those who follow Spencer.

"The underlying attitudes of law enforcement is one of the things I think BlueLeaks documents really well," Best writes. "I've seen a few comments about it being unlikely to uncover gross police misconduct, but I think those somewhat miss the point, or at least equate police misconduct solely with illegal behavior. Part of what a lot of the current protests are about is what police do and have done legally."

3) 2 more staffers have tested positive for C-19 after the Tulsa rally.  I think that's 8 total just in staffers.

38 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

There are more radical members than AOC in Congress, albeit not as popular.  As for Caruso-Cabrera, it should be noted she's a business correspondent for CNBC.  The entire thing smacks of a publicity stunt on behalf of Wall Street.  They look at the market all day, no way they actually think she has a chance.

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'll own that.  I was wrong.

36 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

The Trump Admin is looking for scapegoats and considering the CDC. Rather than you know to actually lead. Meanwhile, Trump leads his diseased caravan all over the country to various super-spreader events.

The CDC did fuck up. But the West Wing and other Trump advisors fucked up even more. The CDC probably does need some reforms after all this, but Trump is not the one to implement them, and the current suggestion (more political appointees at the agency) would just make the current problems worse.

Michelle Caruso-Cabrera is a Trump-Republican plant who's lived in Trump buildings.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/politics/michelle-caruso-cabrera-aoc-challenger/index.html

In Caruso-Cabrera's book, "You Know I'm Right: More Prosperity, Less Government," Caruso-Cabrera unveiled her vision of limited government and explained why Ronald Reagan was her favorite president. (The forward to the book was written by Larry Kudlow, President Trump's National Economic Council director.)

https://theintercept.com/2020/05/04/michelle-caruso-cabrera-gwg-holdings-aoc/

On February 21, Caruso-Cabrera resigned from her board positions to run for Congress, according to SEC filings. She has positioned herself as a moderate, pro-business Democrat in the race, accusing Ocasio-Cortez of being “out of touch” with her constituents and not actually being working class. Caruso-Cabrera, who lived in a high-priced apartment in Trump International Hotel and Tower in Manhattan for years, told Business Insider that Ocasio-Cortez “doesn’t know what it takes to put food on the table and to put a roof over the head of a family.”

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

The CDC did fuck up. But the West Wing and other Trump advisors fucked up even more. The CDC probably does need some reforms after all this, but Trump is not the one to implement them, and the current suggestion (more political appointees at the agency) would just make the current problems worse.

Nobody has covered themselves in glory during this thing, except for perhaps Dr. Fauci (although I feel even he can be too optimistic sometimes, but he at least couches his language in qualifiers) and Dr. Bright, but the CDC really screwed the pooch. Was there even a rationalization ever given as to why the agency felt the need to develop its own tests?

I know it's a moonshot, but it might be time to start looking into how to blunt the effect of political appointees on agencies that we rely upon to be neutral and working in the best interests of everyone in the U.S. 

The CDC and DOJ are the two that spring most immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more affected by this. 

41 minutes ago, DMC said:

They look at the market all day, no way they actually think she has a chance.

Most likely not, but it's still smart money to spend from their perspective. You'd just think they'd find someone better to back so early on in AOC's career. 

13 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Nobody has covered themselves in glory during this thing, except for perhaps Dr. Fauci (although I feel even he can be too optimistic sometimes, but he at least couches his language in qualifiers) and Dr. Bright, but the CDC really screwed the pooch. Was there even a rationalization ever given as to why the agency felt the need to develop its own tests?

I know it's a moonshot, but it might be time to start looking into how to blunt the effect of political appointees on agencies that we rely upon to be neutral and working in the best interests of everyone in the U.S. 

The CDC and DOJ are the two that spring most immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more affected by this. 

The CDC developed it's own test because the CDC always develops its own tests. Other countries develop their own tests as well. And I saw interviews with WHO senior personnel about the story that was going around, about the CDC being offered the WHO test and rejecting it. The WHO never offered their test to the CDC because...the CDC develops it's own tests. And those tests are usually among the best in the world and are offered to other nations, particularly third-world nations.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/health/who-coronavirus-tests-cdc/index.html

24 minutes ago, Fez said:

The CDC had a significant budget cut in 2018.  Prior to that, there were many unfilled management positions or dept heads due to Trump's hiring freeze in 2016 and lackluster recruiting afterward.  Yeah the CDC did messed up but there are reasons why they were in a position to fail.

5 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

This is absurd. Caruso-Cabrera accuses AOC of being a carpetbagger because she lived in Westchester, but MCC lived in Manhattan and only moved to the district 2 years ago. 

She has also been endorsed by the Chamber of Commerce, and wrote that Medicare and Social Security should be privatized. Just gross.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Most likely not, but it's still smart money to spend from their perspective. You'd just think they'd find someone better to back so early on in AOC's career. 

Nah. The serious attempt to get rid of AOC will be next year, during redistricting. New York is losing at least one congressional seat, maybe two seats. There will probably be a strong push on the state legislature to carve up her seat. There's even a reasonable good government excuse they could give. It's on both sides of the East River! They could give some of the district to Carolyn Maloney (so her district is no longer both sides either), a bit to Jose Serrano, some to Grace Meng, and the rest to Eliot Engel/Jaamal Bowman. And all of them would give up a bit to the districts on their other borders to keep all the population sizes in line.

Her only option would be a race against an incumbent, but all of them are very secure in their seats (except Engel, but I suspect he loses today, and I don't think AOC would beat Bowman in that district). Otherwise, I think she'd need to try primarying Schumer, who is up 2022, if she wants to stay in Congress. But Schumer is far more popular and organized in New York than people give him credit for, and I really don't think that's a fight AOC would win. Or she could run against Cuomo for governor in 2022; but he's looking pretty untouchable right now (and also, I do think AOC would run better than Cynthia Nixon, but Cuomo crushed Nixon in the 2018 primary).

Archived