US Politics: “How did we come to this...”

Ser Scot A Ellison

Time to retaliate. @Tywin et al. and @Jace, Basilissa

I challenge you to sit thru this shit sober.

I know those lunatics did one of their shows at Disney World in 1998. As if Florida and Mickey Mouse are not a bad enough mix. Couldn't find that shit on youtube unfortunately.

From 5:45 the yodels shall be returned.

For the German boarders, yes, I have obviously watched some old Mattscheibe eps, where he made fun of that shit.

At least in my neighborhood of SoHo, the people who left were almost entirely students enrolled in some of the most expensive universities in the country -- and in apartments their parents rented or bought for them as investment.  I do doubt however, that any of them will be coming back for the next two or three years, though the schools think they are going to have a real semester in the fall, I think they're in denial.  What else SoHo isn't going to get back are the thousands of European tourists.  Maybe idiot USians still coming for Air B&B, but not those big spending, long staying Europeans with their many and long paid vacations. Anyhow, they aren't registered voters. But at the moment thousands are converging down here to drink and howl and pee.  Sigh.  It's not gonna last.  There were way too many restaurants for this area Before.  Without the tourists they can't survive. There is no other reason to come here other than food and booze since the high end retail and restaurants drive the art and performance and music out of here.  Only students and residents have real reasons to be here, and the students are gone and we aren't enough to support 8 - 9 restaurants and cafes per block.

As for the other wealthy neighborhoods, that's where the internationally plutocratic criminals have a second, third, fourth, fifth home, where the embassies are, etc.  Those 'homes' are mostly empty anyway.

45 minutes ago, Zorral said:

though the schools think they are going to have a real semester in the fall, I think they're in denial.

This is why I can't get a job.  I want the denial!

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

This may be a silly question, but does Barr now face the same calculus as Trump where he needs them to win re-election in order to avoid prosecution himself?  Quite a terrifying thought.

The US has a strong tradition of not going after high-level politicians and bureaucrats after the latter have left positions of power. Despite actually having a campaign slogan that would imply the breaking of this tradition, Trump has done nothing of the sort and, should Biden win, it's very unlikely that he would break it either -- the consequences are just not worth the risk.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The US has a strong tradition of not going after high-level politicians and bureaucrats after the latter have left positions of power.

Well, recent history includes two GOP presidents covering up their predecessors and his administration's crimes between Ford/Nixon and Bush I/Iran Contra, yes.  I don't know if I'd call that a tradition, and certainly not a norm.  I'm honestly not sure where I sit on this - my inclination is actually to agree with you - but don't tell me Trump and his lemmings shouldn't be prosecuted because it'd break "tradition."  It's ridiculous.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Again, just looking at the basics, New York state as a whole has grown 0.4% since 2010 based on the 2019 estimates.  NYC has grown 2 percent.  That strongly indicates the eliminated seat will be upstate, not NYC.

I did not.  Interesting thanks.  My cousin's family certainly has contributed to that increased birthrate.  I can't keep track of all the kids her kids are having, and she's only in her forties.

I guess there are two things to do in Montana and Idaho.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

This is why I can't get a job.  I want the denial!

So does the travel and entertainment industries!

But honestly, I don't think the students from all over the globe are coming back to NYU and Columbia -- and most of them pay full fare. The universities have been bilking those students for years.  But like the Korean student and the Hawaiian student who ended up doing Zoom with me -- the hell they went through when NYU shut down, they had nowhere to go, getting tickets home weeks later, and then quarantining for 4 weeks -- they aren't coming back because they aren't going through that again.

However, it seems that this is an Opportunity for more local colleges and universities for recruitment of students that normally would have headed out of state to the prestige schools.  An article about this in the NY Times yesterday, focusing on West Virginia.

2 hours ago, Altherion said:

The US has a strong tradition of not going after high-level politicians and bureaucrats after the latter have left positions of power. Despite actually having a campaign slogan that would imply the breaking of this tradition, Trump has done nothing of the sort and, should Biden win, it's very unlikely that he would break it either -- the consequences are just not worth the risk.

Although as soon as there is a Republican majority in the House, if it happens while there is a Democrat in the White House there is a very high chance that articles of impeachment will be drawn up quite quickly. If Biden wins this one I can imagine there will be calls for impeachment before inauguration day. 

Nascar and nooses, if there is a more instructive response to the campaign to have the confederate flag removed from Nascar events I don't know what it would be.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Although as soon as there is a Republican majority in the House, if it happens while there is a Democrat in the White House there is a very high chance that articles of impeachment will be drawn up quite quickly. If Biden wins this one I can imagine there will be calls for impeachment before inauguration day. 

Nascar and nooses, if there is a more instructive response to the campaign to have the confederate flag removed from Nascar events I don't know what it would be.

In the case of NASCAR it looks like we may have over reacted

No Crime Over Noose NBC news

As to the post Trump question, too risky to prosecute but give him the Herbert Hoover treatment.  Ice him out of all Presidential functions.

7 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

As to the post Trump question, too risky to prosecute but give him the Herbert Hoover treatment.  Ice him out of all Presidential functions.

Don't you wonder why someone had a noose handy?

Looks like I may have been wrong about how strong Maloney still is in her district.

Although, for some reason New York law is that absentee ballots can't start being counted until 8 days after an election (I assume the reasoning is so that all ballots can be counted at once and there's not trickle count as ballots post-marked by election day continue to show up); so we likely won't have final results for any of these races for a while. And the absentee vote may look quite different from the election day vote.

18 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Does the fact that it wasn't tied this week (apparently) make it any less of a hate crime?

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Does the fact that it wasn't tied this week (apparently) make it any less of a hate crime?

Reading that article I got the impression that it was a big coincidence. He was just assigned that bay where it had been fashioned back in October. 

That's... not easy to swallow. As in, I cannot believe it. That is to say, I do not think the truth has been divulged. In other words, bullshit.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What would this accomplish? Unless there's an ironclad case, there's simply no way any article of impeachment is getting 67 votes in the Senate. Impeachment for the sake of impeachment is just a waste of time and will probably be seen as such.

9 minutes ago, Altherion said:

What would this accomplish? Unless there's an ironclad case, there's simply no way any article of impeachment is getting 67 votes in the Senate. Impeachment for the sake of impeachment is just a waste of time and will probably be seen as such.

Sorta like 10 separate investigations into Bengazhi?

Looks like a good opportunity for leverage for the Democrats.

Also, LOL on the Republicans concerned about the deficit. They still have white powder on them from the massive Coke party they held on the taxpayer's dime.

The Treasury secretary told senators the administration’s goal is to get another coronavirus relief bill passed through Congress by the end of July, according to Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), who attended the meeting.

Congress has already appropriated nearly $3 trillion to respond to the pandemic, a significant portion of which has yet to be spent.

Trump and Mnuchin may be able to circumvent GOP opposition to a second round of checks by cutting a deal with Democratic leaders.

Trump, GOP clash over new round of checks

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/504216-trump-gop-clash-over-new-round-of-checks

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Sorta like 10 separate investigations into Bengazhi?

Impeachment is much more formal than that. If Biden wins and in 2022 the Republicans get the House back, it's quite likely that there will be plenty of investigations of Burisma and the firing of the Ukrainian prosecutor, but the odds of impeachment are much lower.

Archived