US Politics: “How did we come to this...”

Ser Scot A Ellison

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

after 2010, when New York lost 2 congressional seats, it was basically 1.5 upstate seats lost when it should have been an even split with the NYC region

In 2010 both of the seats eliminated were upstate, and quite far away from NYC.  They can be viewed here.  And that's due to the fact that's where population is decreasing around where I grew up (Rochester).  Ballotpedia's data on 2010 supports this.  My understanding of New York's "latfor" redistricting process helps ensure, under New York state law, that targeting an area - let alone a specific congressperson - is not allowed by the commission.  And would be incredibly blatant if they went after AOC. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fuck you. You don't even believe this. I lived in a developing country that was more advanced than Arkansas. There is no hope for them.

It would seem as my allusion went right by you.

"Arizona Mega-Church Set to Host Trump Rally Falsely Claims Its Air Filter Zaps COVID-19
‘KILLS 99.9 PERCENT’
Dream City Church’s claim that it has technology to kill the coronavirus and protect rallygoers “is absurd,” says one epidemiologist"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/arizona-mega-church-set-to-host-trump-rally-falsely-claim-its-air-filter-zaps-covid?

40 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The Theodore Roosevelt National Park and Badlands are pretty awesome, if you are into nature and stuff.

Yep, the western third of South Dakota is really beautiful. Most people think of Mount Rushmore when they think of S. Dakota, but it's a place you can see once (or not at all really, it's a big tourist trap essentially) and be done. 

But you're really doing yourself a disservice by not taking a drive through the Black Hills or the Badlands at least once. Lots of beautiful vistas out there.

I'm not sure I would ever permanently move there, but South Dakota is at least definitely worth visiting.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

How dare you talk about the Huckabees that way!

I'll talk about fake Christians using their religion to make money any damn way I please. 

I do wish the Huckabees had the Huntsmans' looks though......

#AbbyMayBeAnEvilFoxButShe'sStillAFox

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'll talk about fake Christians using their religion to make money any damn way I please. 

I do wish the Huckabees had the Huntsmans' looks though......

You're conflating southern evangelicals with Mormons.  Trey Parker is right, the latter not only are bafflingly nice and considerate, but usually quite attractive as well.  Abby is certainly another example of that.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

You're conflating southern evangelicals with Mormons.  Trey Parker is right, the latter not only are bafflingly nice and considerate, but usually quite attractive as well.  Abby is certainly another example of that.

Abby is a dimple faced saint, even if she's kind of an evil liar on T.V. 

Well kind of is way too nice, but still. Fire emoji.

Until have you seen former First Lady of Utah Huntsman?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!~?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jon really dunked on Mittens. 

The fuck do those Mormons put in their milk? 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

"E.U. May Exclude U.S. as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus
European Union officials are racing to agree on who can visit the bloc as of July 1 based on how countries of origin are faring with new coronavirus cases. Americans, so far, are excluded, according to draft lists seen by The New York Times."

Which means Europeans won't be coming here either, since they'll have to quarantine for two weeks on return. So much for the great planning for reviving NYC's economy, which is geared solely, as far as I can see, on the conviction that hundreds of thousands of outsiders will be coming in every day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html?

I'm surprised it took this long for people to start thinking, "I'm staying away from that shit hole."

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Again, just looking at the basics, New York state as a whole has grown 0.4% since 2010 based on the 2019 estimates.  NYC has grown 2 percent.

It rather depends on how they do the census. The population of NYC grew 2% from 2010 to 2019, but then it shrank by around 5% in 2020 because of the virus. Some of those people have already come back, some might come back once there is a vaccine (or they're forced to go to the office by their employer) and some are not coming back at all.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The population of NYC grew 2% from 2010 to 2019, but then it shrank by around 5% in 2020 because of the virus.

NYC has had 17.5 thousand coronavirus deaths according to google.  That's...not even close to 5 percent of a population of 8.3 million.  Where are you pulling that number from?  For ~400,000 NYC residents to no longer be available to vote since 2019, that would necessitate a hell of a lot of moving I haven't heard about.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

NYC has had 17.5 thousand coronavirus deaths according to google.  That's...not even close to 5 percent of a population of 8.3 million.  Where are you pulling that number from?  For ~400,000 NYC residents to no longer be available to vote since 2019, that would necessitate a hell of a lot of moving I haven't heard about.

You clearly have forgotten that Godzilla attacked the city on several occasions.  

Heartless bastard!

Do I need to remind you of the time that Batman let Bane blow up the sports stadium? DO I?

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

I wasn't thinking of the deaths, just the people who left:

Hundreds of thousands of New York City residents, in particular those from the city’s wealthiest neighborhoods, left as the coronavirus pandemic hit, an analysis of multiple sources of aggregated smartphone location data has found.

Roughly 5 percent of residents — or about 420,000 people — left the city between March 1 and May 1. In the city’s very wealthiest blocks, in neighborhoods like the Upper East Side, the West Village, SoHo and Brooklyn Heights, residential population decreased by 40 percent or more, while the rest of the city saw comparably modest changes.

4 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I wasn't thinking of the deaths, just the people who left:

That hardly means a bunch of rich people are gonna change the address on their census form, which takes like 30 seconds to do online.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do I need to remind you of the time that Batman let Bane blow up the sports stadium? DO I?

That was Pittsburgh, did you not see Hines Ward?!?

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

That hardly means a bunch of rich people are gonna change the address on their census form, which takes like 30 seconds to do online.

That was Pittsburgh, did you not see Hines Ward?!?

The most unrealistic thing I saw in that movie was Hines Ward returning kicks. Antonio Brown was right there! Much better athlete.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, you can't make this shit up.

Reporter: Why aren't you wearing a mask?

Pretty white woman: Because I know how to hold my breath.

(said like three feet away from the reporter)

God bless attractive dumb white women. 

Hum, nah. Too easy.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

"Arizona Mega-Church Set to Host Trump Rally Falsely Claims Its Air Filter Zaps COVID-19
‘KILLS 99.9 PERCENT’
Dream City Church’s claim that it has technology to kill the coronavirus and protect rallygoers “is absurd,” says one epidemiologist"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/arizona-mega-church-set-to-host-trump-rally-falsely-claim-its-air-filter-zaps-covid?

Absurd and false claims in a Church? I am shocked! Shocked! I tell you.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Abby is a dimple faced saint, even if she's kind of an evil liar on T.V. 

Need a tissue?

Judging from the rant, that's a bit too long to quote,  maybe you should do a mormon thing. Before you get too excited, I said do a Mormon thing, not a Mormon girl, or Abby Huntsman. And I meant, substituting the whiskey with some milk.

Archived