The Hightowers

Lady Rhodes

1 hour ago, Bloodraven’s Spider said:

Do you support R+L=J? We learn from Quathi that the glass candles are indeed burning and their emergence are directly related to the Dragons. Could Euron have been in Qarth when Dany was there? Yes absolutely. To say Qarth acted as his home base is a stretch because he sailed all over the world. I dont think Euron will get his hands on a glass candle but he did essentially mind rape The Damphair with shade of the evening I believe. I’m sure Euron has a few tricks up his sleeve. 

I do.

i think you are neglecting the chapter where Dany dreams of having sex with Hizdahr but his lips are blue and when he plunges into her he is as cold as ice. I cannot help but connect this to Euron and e glass candles.

Euron had to have had a home base somewhere, even though he traveled around the world. Everyone needs a port. I think there is enough evidence, especially the name Urrathon Night walker, to indicate an alias 

10 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Given the Sparrow influence in King's Landing, could the High Sparrow be a Hightower?

I doubt it. The High Septons have been Hightower creatures by default since the religion became established on the continent, so one would expect a Hightower-aligned High Septon to behave similarly to every other High Septon, but the High Sparrow is a fairly radical departure. The implication of this appears to be that the Hightowers are losing their grip on the Faith. After all this time one has to wonder "why"? To me the Sparrow Movement most closely resembles the zealotry you see from those under the influence of the hivemind in "And Seven Times Never Kill Man" which raises the possibility there is some kind of Mind Control at work, though who is pulling the strings isn't clear. The most obvious candidate would be Bloodraven/The Children of the Forest (they're the alien mind-control gestalt in the series, after all) but it's also possible that with magic returned a gestalt formed among the smallfolk of its own accord due to the proliferation of telepathic genes during the period where magic was inert, which would mean that nobody is at the wheel of that particular truck. I know a lot of people like the idea that the High Sparrow is a Faceless Man, but that doesn't fit well in my opinion. Its also possible that the schism we see in the Citadel between the magic users and the abolitionists exists within the Faith as well, and the High Sparrow is an agent of the magic-using faction.

17 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

OK my big take away here is the glass candles in Qaarth haven't burned for 100 years.   Would be better with an actual date or historical citation, but it's a start.  Certainly Euron was in Qaarth, so that lends some weight to your idea about Urrathon Night Walker.  But how would he get multiple candles in his house?  The quote sort of implies the candles have always been there or at least for 100 years, so how did he score the pad?  Perhaps the accumulation of magical items is specific to Euron's task.  Sure seems like someone knows those candles, emphasis on plural, are burning in Qaarth.  But if they are all at this single house, how does Quaithe get access?  Ah, now all the possible identities for Quaithe are making more sense.   

As to point 2), I am not sure it's strongly implied Euron was using the candles, though it's not a stretch to put that together.  Why would he give Dany a vision like that--seemingly warning her he's coming?  I've always thought Quaithe was something of a foil for Dany, not a help.   I hang this upon Quaithe warning Dany off people who could actually help her along with those sure to get in her way.  This is incomplete, but damned fascinating.  

How does Euron get any of his artifacts? Plunder and the pillage and piracy. I can see him somehow ingratiating himself into Qartheen society and being given the house. Part of what makes him so scary and formidable is his charisma. He was able to get himself elected at the Kingsmoot. He is not an idiot.

re: others dreams being infiltrated. I suspect that you have to know, at least in a round about way, where someone is to use the glass candles on them. It may not have to be exact, but a round about idea. Euron knows Dany is in Meereen, Quaithe knee she was heading in that direction...not positive but a thought. I do like you theory of others dreams being infiltrated, though. Did johns strange dreams stop when he wasNorth of the Wall? I recall a discussion of the Wall being a magical hinge and he had trouble sensing ghost, so I wonder if the candles would be rendered ineffective too

18 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I do.

i think you are neglecting the chapter where Dany dreams of having sex with Hizdahr but his lips are blue and when he plunges into her he is as cold as ice. I cannot help but connect this to Euron and e glass candles.

Euron had to have had a home base somewhere, even though he traveled around the world. Everyone needs a port. I think there is enough evidence, especially the name Urrathon Night walker, to indicate an alias 

Thats fair and true. 

Only time will tell i guess. 

On 6/25/2020 at 11:02 AM, Lady Rhodes said:

But the topic has diverged. The Hightowers!

what could they be up to?

Waiting for Euron to attack. What they do at that point is the real question. Being they do not like Targaryens I wouldn’t be shocked if they help Euron in some form only to help diminish Dany’s/Aegon’s power. Then rid Euron after.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:48 PM, Bloodraven’s Spider said:

Waiting for Euron to attack. What they do at that point is the real question. Being they do not like Targaryens I wouldn’t be shocked if they help Euron in some form only to help diminish Dany’s/Aegon’s power. Then rid Euron after.

That would be quite the gamble. But why do they not like the Targaryens? They fought on the side of mad king (via the Tyrells) and Gerold Hightower was lots commander.

The Hightowers used to be the most powerful house before Aegon’s conquest. Only when the high Septon said if they attacked Oldtown would burn so Lord Manfred Hightower decided to not oppose Aegon. Keep in mind he didn’t join his lord liege Mern Gardener to battle which became the Field of Fire. They knew they couldn’t beat or defeat the dragons so they bent they Annointed Aegon king and made peace. As soon as he dies the realm starts to revolt (lead by the Faith/Hightower’s) in the first year of Aenys reigns he faces 4 rebellions...

The Hightowers and the faith are heavily aligned (they wanted the Targaryens gone)

The Hightower’s supported the Greens over the blacks in the Dance of Dragons, Queen Alicent is truly Saera Targaryen.

They also had a hand in both the Targaryen side and the Blackfyre side in the first rebellion.

House Hightower will do a lot to rid the realm of Targaryen power

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2020 at 2:28 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

Especially after reading Fire & Blood, it is obvious that House Hightower features prominently in Westerosi history. However, they have been noticeably absent in our current story.  I don't believe that they are just irrelevant, though, given the few scant mentions that we do have.  I think there is something going on, but what?

Here are a few tidbits that I have noticed, but I am wondering if anyone else has noticed/connected anything.

You can supposedly see the Wall from the top of the Hightower.

Lord Leyton and the Mad Maid have been locked at the top floor of the Hightower for 10 years, which is conspicuously around the length of the summer.

While is Vaes Torro, Jorah tells Dany of his marriage to Lynesse.  He said that he expected to be refused by Lord Leyton, but he accepted.

Now this is a big discrepancy.  Pate says that Lord Leyton had not left the Hightower in a decade, but Ser Jorah, who admits he was very drunk, asked for her hand after the Tourney of Lannisport, which was held after the Greyjoy rebellion.  I believe that was only 6 years prior to our current events.  So did Jorah not actually speak to Lord Leyton?  Did Lord Leyton leave the tower and if so, why?  Was there a purpose?  And why did Lord Leyton (or his proxy) permit this marriage?

Twyin offered Tyrion to Lord Leyton, but was refused.

Willas sent word to Lord Leyton to see to the defenses of Oldtown due to the Ironborn raids.

The biggest issue I have currently is the discrepancy with the tourney of Lannisport.  Especially since we have Jorah's admittance that he was very drunk on wine and glory, is it possible that it was not Leyton there, but someone that could still have offered permission for a marriage? 

Unless she has actually spent the past ten years educating a pisswater prince in Essos. 

It is a bit of a conundrum.

We are told (Sam AFFC) that they can field three times as many "swords" as any other Tyrell bannermen PLUS the manpower of Oldtown. Hypothetically, if the Florents were the next most powerful bannermen at 2,000 (unlikely), they have to have at least 6,000 without counting Oldtown, the second biggest city in the Kingdoms. Plus they are apparently as rich as the Lannisters?

I feel as they have to show up at some point. Whether to complement one claimaint's claim or to stab the Tyrells in the back or as a last reserve against the Others.

Archived