The next Baratheon

TheLastWolf

Even if Stannis survives winter and defeats the Boltons and Freys in the North, I have a hunch that he is going to meet his red god before he can seat his puckered arse on the Iron throne. (There are already so many new claimants...one with dragons itself... and lets admit, no one wants him and his obnoxious wife ruling the Seven Kingdoms.)

Say he dies, who will become the next Lord Baratheon? If he dies no one would call his daughter heir to the throne as he was supposed to be Azor Azhai reborn, and how could he die then? We know that Dawn is the true Lightbringer (and old/new Ice,  according to which theory you believe) so he is not Azor Azhai either. If his cause is doomed after his death, who would be his heir? I also have a (another hunch) premonition that Val's prediction about Princess Shireen's Greyscale is true.So who will be the next Baratheon after bearded Selyse and Shireen reach their beloved Rh'llor? Never Axell Florent , whatever may happen. And I won't bring Mya stone into this as she'd never leave the Vale.

Would it be Edric storm or Gendry? Though Edric has been trained in arms, courtesies, faith and history by septons, knights and maesters, that does not make one fit to rule.Joffrey and Tommen were brought up the same, were they fit? Edric is too vain about his father. And he may not live long in the Stepstones anyway, with Salladhor Saan returned to piracy, he may sell Edric to Stannis's enemies without hesitation.

Gendry has lived among the people and knows their hardships and he's a great fighter by the way.Whatever required to be Highborn can easily be learnt, but not what's learnt by living with commonfolk like fAegon. Plus Gendry was knighted by Beric Dondarrion who remained loyal to  the father of both the bastards who I'm writing about to the bitter end and beyond (this fits him better than Mace Tyrell) ...just that one is highborn and the other is not.If Gendry is legitimized and becomes Lord, then I bet he will marry Arya if, no, when she returns.

P.S. Some of you may be against a bastard becoming Lord, but the first Baratheon, Orys himself was the Conquerer's baseborn half brother. 

Likely no one, there must be a great line that ends by the end of the books and the Baratheons have all the odds to perish. While the blood will survive through Robert's many many bastards, the name will disappear. As it happened to the Durrandons.

30 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Some of you may be against a bastard becoming Lord, but the first Baratheon, Orys himself was the Conquerer's baseborn half brother. 

And this, actually, is the best argument, why there would be no new Baratheons after Stannis and Shireen meet their demise. When Orys became a lord, he didn't became Orys Targaryen - he became a lord in his own right not was legitimised under his father's name. Therefore, if either Gendry or Edric would ever become lords, I doubt they would do so under the name Baratheon, to se-establish the family line. 

Would they, though? Maybe. If their own future accomplishments justify that in the future. But at this point neither one is a very good material for a lord. Edric, as you said, has all the trappings of a lord but that's all surface-level. We had no idea how he'd use all that capital as a leader. Gendry is a hard-working, honest and decent guy with a strong moral fiber, who we can be pretty sure wouldn't abuse power - but if there's one point ASOIAF drives home with vengeance is that good intentions and justifiable goals don't make good rulers, if those rulers don't know how to exercise their power (see: Ned, Jon, Dany). So Gendry isn't as good candidate for lordship as it might seem. 

As the dust begins to settle from the near-endless wars, people might be inclined to look back more skeptically on the whole Baratheon family.

• Robert truly was the Wastrel King, squandering the wealth of the Seven Kingdoms on having a good time, plus a war or so thrown in, and a weak, Lannister-led ruler.
  • Joffrey "Baratheon" was a mini-Aerys II from his first day on the throne, and seemingly getting worse over time. Under his disastrous rule, the wars began people starved, the country was brutalized.
  • Tommen "Baratheon" was even weaker than his wastrel "father", a child figurehead for his evil, deranged Lannister mother and her henchmen.
  • Renly tore the kingdom in half by refusing to yield to his brother's better claim; good thing he died early. Admittedly, he had good fashion sense, but that was probably due to his being an Abomination.
  • Stannis completed the work of devastating the kingdom through wars, defied, defiled, and threw down the Gods of the Seven Kingdoms that people had worshipped for thousands of years, and led tens of thousands of lawless Wildlings through the Wall and gave them land, so they could rape, steal and kill the good people of the Seven Kingdoms.

I think, should both Stannis and Shireen perish, the Baratheon name will be toxic. People will be glad that it's as dead as the Reynes, the Tarbecks, the Gardners. Someone new will take over Storm's End and establish a new House.

(I'd also like to see this with House Frey, but that's another story.)

The only thing I don’t like about Stan the man is r’hllor tbh, without it he’s great as shit. I’ll be sad when he died though, it’ll lead to House Baratheon being extinct and that makes me really deeply sad, I want them to survive the book series.

Edric Storm seems the best candidate by far. Openly acknowledged as Robert's child unlike Gendry (who may always be seen as a pretender by some), and safely tucked away in Lys (unless Dany brings dragonfire to the place, but I don't think she'll have time). 

Stannis just doesn't seem like the type of man who would bend the knee to another monarch. I believe his fate is death, but if not, he would probably choose to take the black rather than give up his claim. 

4 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

And this, actually, is the best argument, why there would be no new Baratheons after Stannis and Shireen meet their demise. When Orys became a lord, he didn't became Orys Targaryen - he became a lord in his own right not was legitimised under his father's name. Therefore, if either Gendry or Edric would ever become lords, I doubt they would do so under the name Baratheon, to se-establish the family line. 

Addam and Alyn Velaryon did adopt the old house name after being legitimised, however. And we don't know that there was ever a formal act of Orys being made legitimate: if anything, being Aegon's bastard brother is framed as a highly credible rumour rather than fact. So it is possible, if not overwhelmingly likely.

I'm sure if they needed to they could dig back into Baratheon lineage and find a junior line descended through one of the stormlands houses. Or if the castle has not fallen yet, they may entice the current castellan, Gilbert Farring, to give it up by offering him the lordship.

8 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Or if the castle has not fallen yet, they may entice the current castellan, Gilbert Farring, to give it up by offering him the lordship.

And there's another thought: Elevate House Farring and let them keep Storm's End. That's how the Tyrells, castellans for the Gardners, got Highgarden. Making "Farring" a major house has got to be more enticing than having them rename themselves after a failed, corrupt, and brutal dynasty (see my earlier rant).

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

Edric Storm seems the best candidate by far. Openly acknowledged as Robert's child unlike Gendry (who may always be seen as a pretender by some), and safely tucked away in Lys (unless Dany brings dragonfire to the place, but I don't think she'll have time). 

Stannis just doesn't seem like the type of man who would bend the knee to another monarch. I believe his fate is death, but if not, he would probably choose to take the black rather than give up his claim. 

Addam and Alyn Velaryon did adopt the old house name after being legitimised, however. And we don't know that there was ever a formal act of Orys being made legitimate: if anything, being Aegon's bastard brother is framed as a highly credible rumour rather than fact. So it is possible, if not overwhelmingly likely.

I went straight for Edric, too, but maybe we are overlooking Mya Stone?  She doesn't seem to know who her father is but certainly the noble lords of the Vale do.  

44 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Or if the castle has not fallen yet, they may entice the current castellan, Gilbert Farring, to give it up by offering him the lordship.

That would be my guess as well, if there would be a Storm's End castle to occupy at the end of the story. 

In general, there is too much of deliberate destruction of both Houses and land as a consequence of all the wars raging across Westeros - and at least 2 more books to wreak whatever stayed relatively in shape untill now - for me to believe that Martin will end this story with bringing back the status quo. And that's what legitimizing either Edric or Gendry as the new Baratheon lord would be. It makes no sense on a thematic level and Martin isn't D&D. 

2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I went straight for Edric, too, but maybe we are overlooking Mya Stone?  She doesn't seem to know who her father is but certainly the noble lords of the Vale do.  

Mya has that sort of ambiguous status where she is publicly known about but not officially acknowledged. She'd probably be viewed as more official than Gendry being pulled out of nowhere, but thanks to her gender, I'd say it's unlikely unless Lys is torched.

2 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Mya has that sort of ambiguous status where she is publicly known about but not officially acknowledged. She'd probably be viewed as more official than Gendry being pulled out of nowhere, but thanks to her gender, I'd say it's unlikely unless Lys is torched.

Sorry, I am not making the connection between Mya and Lys.  

Just now, Curled Finger said:

Sorry, I am not making the connection between Mya and Lys.  

Well, I meant a situation where Edric Storm died, as long as he is alive he'd make a far better candidate than Mya.

I may be wrong but I took impression "Baratheon" was name of some knight from dragonstone who served targaryens, whose wife was "blessed" by aegons father. seems possible to me orys took his mothers husband last name. he being a bastard was not undisputed fact but sort of gossip or public secret.

Tommen will be the last Baratheon to sit on the iron throne.  But there will be another Baratheon to lay claim to Storm's End.  This will be Gendry because George likes to turn the tables on the arrogance of the families.  Snobs don't fare well.  Industry and work ethic pays off.  Big G is the person who is the most likely to learn the art of making folded damascus-like steel weapons.  

Gendry and Arya could be a future couple.  Do keep in mind the warning from the first chapter, the momma wolf and the stag.  A Stark who goes to bed with a stag, figuratively, dies.  This is one of the themes.  The stag causes the death of the direwolf whenever the two come together.  I believe it has to do with the fire in the Baratheon family.  They carry the fire gene of Valyrian Dragonlords.  Fire and ice do not and should not mix.  This relationship with Gendry will kill Arya.  

46 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Edric Storm is a much more reasonable candidate.

Also, Edric has a noble mother despite being a bastard, and has been raised as a noble. The right manners, training in arms, education in reading and writing, as well as history, and other basic subjects. Gendry was unfortunate enough to grow up poor, illiterate, ignorant. It's not his fault, but that's too much to overcome in a feudal society like Westeros.

That said, I still think that House Baratheon is toast.

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

A bastard of uncertain birth who has abandoned the Faith to follow a foreign god would never be an accepted as lord of Storm's End.

Edric Storm is a much more reasonable candidate.

It depends on how people react to the time of hardships brought on by winter. Their faith in the seven will be shaken if their prayers are not answered and their bellies are empty.  They might start looking for another religion.

Archived