The next Baratheon

TheLastWolf

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

If Aegon were to legitimize a Baratheon bastard and make her the new Lady of Storm's End they should be pleased with that, one assumes.

The idea of Aegon marrying a legitimized Mya Baratheon to one of his loyal men - Harry Strickland, say, or another important leader in the Golden Company, to sweeten the fact that he is making Strickland the new Lord of Storm's End could also work.

If Mya grew up in Stormlands and the idea of legitimizing her would come from the people there, then this scenario would be very likely. But Mya has more ties with the Vale than with Stormlands. The Storm Lords may very well see her as a person who could be easily influenced/more loyal to the interests of the Vale (as it were people of the Vale, who raised her to the status of a lady) and this might not please them quite as much. Sweetening the Strickland deal may be better served by giving him a trueborn daughter of some sufficiently powerful Storm Lord for a wife.

17 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, but Edric Storm is just a bastard. He is completely irrelevant as a political player/pawn unless a monarch actually legitimizes him.

And once he is legitimized, he'll be legal heir to Robert Baratheon in everything - not only his claim to Storm's End but also to the Iron Throne. Of course Dany might legitimize him under condition that he very publicly renounces any claim to 7K throne, admits his father was a traitor for rebelling against Aerys and bends the knee in show of his obedience and support for Dany (basically, what Robb Stark was called to do, before Ned was executed). But it's not like switching sides and breaking oaths doesn't happen in this story. So legitimizing Edric (or any Baratheon bastard for that matter) always carries a bit of a risk.

17 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The idea that Daenerys has any desire to harm or persecute the children of the men who deposed and murdered her family are, so far, completely without basis. And there isn't any reason why she should be doing that. If, say, Tommen were still in charge and would actually abdicate offering her the throne she would likely accept that without insisting that she wants both the throne and his head.

As long as any plausible Baratheon heir exists, Dany or Aegon are at risk of rebellion down the line. Not immediately, but if one of them gets the throne at the end and then starts making unpopular decisions, there is a non-zero chance someone will remember there are living Baratheons with some claim for the crown and will use that to stir trouble. Sure, Dany especially, could be pretty sure, she'll mow any future rebels with her dragons, but why should she even chance something like that? 

I do agree though, that Tommen and/or Myrcella could be spared, if Tyrion interceded on their behalf (he seems to be fond of them) and convince Dany and then the rest of the 7K that they are indeed Lannister bastards. Some sort of public confession/pledge would be needed though - if either Dany would force Cersei into one (not very likely, even if Cersei's kids life were on the line, i think) or perhaps if Cersei would screw her Faith trial badly enough (which I think is pretty much given) and Faith would declare guilty of incest and adultery and her children a product of that.

13 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:
23 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

A little bit aggressive here, don't you think?

Not at all. I'm just scrutinizing your theory.

@Lord Varys also scrutinizes my theories, but with much less vitriol. You may not deliberately aim to come across as aggressive, but the way you form your replies is hardly polite disagreement.

13 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

So what is he going to impress a king with - looking like a knock-off Renly? Unlike Edric, he's not particularly charismatic. His only skill is at an anvil. You seem to be hinting at his moral fibre but that can be found in hundreds of other people.

Also unlike Edric, Gendry has some actual fighting experience (though not much or anything very impressive - I'd admit that), and I don't think he's consistently displaying his willingness to protect people for nothing to come of it in future books. His 'I'm a knight' declaration to Brienne signs that he probably won't sit on his ass, while things go progressively more downhill around him when the Others come. Also, I think you're under impression that Gendry is dumb muscle good for nothing but hammering his days away in the forge. He is actually has good survival instincts (his insistence to avoid the road after Yoren was killed), at least some smarts (he was able to steal chainmail and swords while his group was escaping Harrenhall) and will chose to act, if he sees people in need of his help (saving Brienne in ADWD). Has he makings of a great hero and savior of entire kingdoms like Dany or Jon? Nope, of course no. But if he would find himself in a position to do something heroic (say, in a fight with Others) he would act not sit on his ass and he might even succeed. Mind you, I've never said he will definitely do such a thing and earn himself a lordship as a reward, only that it's not totally impossible. And way better way for him that impressing anybody with his knock-off Renly looks.

14 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

But why would they get bastards from KL to fill those seats?

And where did I specify that - if at all - Gendry would get a castle in Stormlands? There will be empty castles all over Westeros after wars, Others, winter and possibly a greyscale plague are done with the place. If anything, I suspect there won't be enough people to once again fill them all.

14 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

And whoever is king in the end will have plenty of men wanting lands to  reward their service.

Plenty might be a bit of a stretch, but sure - if either Aegon or, more likely, Dany will become the endgame ruler, Gendry's chances of ever getting anything from them are slim to none. But I don't think any either one would actually be in power by the epilogue, so who knows whose people would need to be rewarded and who those people will be? But that is matter to discuss in another thread.

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:
On 6/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, Miss_Saffron said:

unlike in the abomination

Wow....you must really hate the TV series more than me....as all the real asoiaf fans should.

Hate is too strong of the word. But not by much ;). And the handling of the Others plot is a particular pet peeve of mine, because it defeats the entire purpose for which they were put into the narrative. They're supposed to be an existential threat to all of Westeros - and they can't actually be one, if their influence is only ever felt in the North. Hearing about an end-of-the-world threat and being forcefully confronted with one are two different things and one of them is much lamer story than the other. 

Also, 100% agree on the points you make about Gendry.

I don’t think the Baratheon name will end with the demise of Stannis and Co. Gendry could take the name or Edric. Will they ever reach the lordship that is Storms End? If so who is giving them that title and why? If either meet up with Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Aegon. Etc. they will have to contribute in some monster way to be rewarded Storms End. I don’t see that happening. They may be legitimized thats about it. If the north get destroyed as we expect to in the Great War, and Winterfell as well the other great castles are uninhabitable:

I can see Jon (if not king by the end of the story): Possibly taking up residence at the Wolfs Den, it was originally built by King Jon Stark... He can rule from here.

Bran taking Storms End as his seat makes sense as it was built by none other then the founder of house Stark Bran the builder. Or Rickon if her survives. Does storms end have a Weirwood in their godswoods? I would imagine Bran wont take up residence anywhere without it having a weirwood tree. So perhaps he goes elsewhere. If Rickon doesn’t live Storms End will go to some loyal supporter

I do expect the following housed to be extinct by end of the story:

Tully

Arryn

Targaryen

Deaths come in 3’s, 3 major houses need to vanish. The Tullys at the moment are relying on Edmure (and his newborn) To further the family line, Arryn’s are relying on sweetrobin... and Targaryen well Dany that dumb fucking wench she wont survive to the end. There will still be Targaryen blood out their but the line will end with her.

10 minutes ago, Bloodraven’s Spider said:

they will have to contribute in some monster way to be rewarded Storms End. I don’t see that happening. They may be legitimized thats about it

A nitpick here, but as I understand - legitimization is basically recognizing a baseborn child as a legal heir of their noble parent. Therefore, if any of Robert's bastards would be legitimized, they would inherit Storm's End by default as rightful Baratheons. 

Being elevated into nobility by the way of legitimization and by the way of gaining the title in one own's right are two different things. 

9 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

If Mya grew up in Stormlands and the idea of legitimizing her would come from the people there, then this scenario would be very likely. But Mya has more ties with the Vale than with Stormlands. The Storm Lords may very well see her as a person who could be easily influenced/more loyal to the interests of the Vale (as it were people of the Vale, who raised her to the status of a lady) and this might not please them quite as much. Sweetening the Strickland deal may be better served by giving him a trueborn daughter of some sufficiently powerful Storm Lord for a wife.

The point really aren't the Stormlords. They are likely going to join Aegon, anyway. And since Mya would be Robert's bastard they really cannot have any objection to her being legitimized and marry their new liege or even become their liege herself.

And the idea that a Lord Harry Strickland of Storm's End could strengthen his claim to the Stormlands (which would just be a grant of Aegon) by marrying some Stormlord's daughter rather than somebody with clear Baratheon blood isn't all that convincing. Who could that be? There aren't any Stormlords who take precedence among their peers or who are seen as the most powerful house in the Stormlands after the Baratheons.

And once he is legitimized, he'll be legal heir to Robert Baratheon in everything - not only his claim to Storm's End but also to the Iron Throne. Of course Dany might legitimize him under condition that he very publicly renounces any claim to 7K throne, admits his father was a traitor for rebelling against Aerys and bends the knee in show of his obedience and support for Dany (basically, what Robb Stark was called to do, before Ned was executed). But it's not like switching sides and breaking oaths doesn't happen in this story. So legitimizing Edric (or any Baratheon bastard for that matter) always carries a bit of a risk.

The scenario is that she and Edric team up while they are both in Lys. If he got legitimized by her and would eventually be installed as Lord of Storm's End by her he would of course not be a pretender to the Iron Throne.

Edric could be the heir of a Baratheon king if such a king had legitimized him, i.e. Robert or Stannis or Renly or Joffrey/Tommen, but since that didn't happen. By the time Dany and Edric return the Baratheons as a (royal) house might already be extinguished. Aegon or Euron might sit the throne, and Stannis and Shireen and Tommen and Myrcella might be dead.

They could be line of usurpers that had been overthrown before Daenerys even comes west.

As long as any plausible Baratheon heir exists, Dany or Aegon are at risk of rebellion down the line. Not immediately, but if one of them gets the throne at the end and then starts making unpopular decisions, there is a non-zero chance someone will remember there are living Baratheons with some claim for the crown and will use that to stir trouble. Sure, Dany especially, could be pretty sure, she'll mow any future rebels with her dragons, but why should she even chance something like that? 

The Baratheon claim doesn't really exist as a rival claim to the Targaryen claim, especially not if bastards are involved. Legitimized or not - bastards are bastards, and people don't forget that. Using a legitimized bastard from a line of overthrown usurpers is not something one has to be afraid of all that much ... especially if one could use them to one's own advantage, which is the point in this Edric scenario. He and Dany would both return home to lay claim to their father's old seats - Dany to KL and Edric to Storm's End.

I do agree though, that Tommen and/or Myrcella could be spared, if Tyrion interceded on their behalf (he seems to be fond of them) and convince Dany and then the rest of the 7K that they are indeed Lannister bastards. Some sort of public confession/pledge would be needed though - if either Dany would force Cersei into one (not very likely, even if Cersei's kids life were on the line, i think) or perhaps if Cersei would screw her Faith trial badly enough (which I think is pretty much given) and Faith would declare guilty of incest and adultery and her children a product of that.

The idea was more that Dany wouldn't prefer a war for the Iron Throne to Tommen peacefully abdicating. If he did that, she would not persecute him afterwards. That would be insane.

8 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

You may not deliberately aim to come across as aggressive, but the way you form your replies is hardly polite disagreement.

Why, because I cussed? I haven't insulted you or laughed at your ideas. I really don't know what I can do to make you feel less attacked, short of not challenging the logic of your posts at all.

Also unlike Edric, Gendry has some actual fighting experience (though not much or anything very impressive - I'd admit that), and I don't think he's consistently displaying his willingness to protect people for nothing to come of it in future books. His 'I'm a knight' declaration to Brienne signs that he probably won't sit on his ass, while things go progressively more downhill around him when the Others come. Also, I think you're under impression that Gendry is dumb muscle good for nothing but hammering his days away in the forge. He is actually has good survival instincts (his insistence to avoid the road after Yoren was killed), at least some smarts (he was able to steal chainmail and swords while his group was escaping Harrenhall) and will chose to act, if he sees people in need of his help (saving Brienne in ADWD). Has he makings of a great hero and savior of entire kingdoms like Dany or Jon? Nope, of course no. But if he would find himself in a position to do something heroic (say, in a fight with Others) he would act not sit on his ass and he might even succeed. Mind you, I've never said he will definitely do such a thing and earn himself a lordship as a reward, only that it's not totally impossible. And way better way for him that impressing anybody with his knock-off Renly looks.

The topic of this thread is who becomes the next Lord Baratheon and you replied to my comment, which was specifically about Gendry heading the Stormlands, so I really don't see the point of arguing the possibility of Gendry becoming a lord.

So to stick to the topic, there is no reason for anyone to raise Gendry to being the lord of Storms End if not for his blood. Even if he does something really heroic, it would be a move that pisses off the existing lords in the region and the Baratheon's closest cousins, who were set to inherit the title. And if no one cares about nobility anymore after the war for the dawn, well, then there would be no lordships for him to claim.

Plenty might be a bit of a stretch, but sure - if either Aegon or, more likely, Dany will become the endgame ruler, Gendry's chances of ever getting anything from them are slim to none. But I don't think any either one would actually be in power by the epilogue, so who knows whose people would need to be rewarded and who those people will be? But that is matter to discuss in another thread.

No matter who is charge, there will be handing out of land. Look at the ambitious knights in Stannis' camp, or Tywin divvying land after Blackwater. The Frey family alone could fill up a tonne of seats.

12 hours ago, Bloodraven’s Spider said:

I don’t think the Baratheon name will end with the demise of Stannis and Co. Gendry could take the name or Edric. Will they ever reach the lordship that is Storms End? If so who is giving them that title and why? If either meet up with Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Aegon. Etc. they will have to contribute in some monster way to be rewarded Storms End. I don’t see that happening. They may be legitimized thats about it. If the north get destroyed as we expect to in the Great War, and Winterfell as well the other great castles are uninhabitable:

I can see Jon (if not king by the end of the story): Possibly taking up residence at the Wolfs Den, it was originally built by King Jon Stark... He can rule from here.

Bran taking Storms End as his seat makes sense as it was built by none other then the founder of house Stark Bran the builder. Or Rickon if her survives. Does storms end have a Weirwood in their godswoods? I would imagine Bran wont take up residence anywhere without it having a weirwood tree. So perhaps he goes elsewhere. If Rickon doesn’t live Storms End will go to some loyal supporter

Tully

Arryn

Targaryen

Deaths come in 3’s, 3 major houses need to vanish. The Tullys at the moment are relying on Edmure (and his newborn) To further the family line, Arryn’s are relying on sweetrobin... and Targaryen well Dany that dumb fucking wench she wont survive to the end. There will still be Targaryen blood out their but the line will end with her.

I don't think the Targaryen line will end.  Daenerys is too smart to let that happen.  I believe she will eventually marry Aegon Blackfyre and have lots of beautiful, blonde children. 

That long-faced idiot of a lord commander on the Wall, Jon Snow, is crazy enough to cause an extinction of the humans in Westeros.  But our dragon-riding heroine in the east is not going to make that kind of mistake.

3 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

I don't think the Targaryen line will end.  Daenerys is too smart to let that happen.  I believe she will eventually marry Aegon Blackfyre and have lots of beautiful, blonde children. 

I assume that Dany is sterile. Or that was the price she had to pay for becoming Mother of Dragons.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, Loose Bolt said:

I assume that Dany is sterile. Or that was the price she had to pay for becoming Mother of Dragons

@Bloodraven's Spider said,

Tully

Arryn

Targaryen

Those who really deserve to end are the Boltons and the Freys..

And about Dany being sterile... 

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/157243-are-the-targaryens-not-as-godly-as-they-were-can-dany-bear-children-again/

19 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

A nitpick here, but as I understand - legitimization is basically recognizing a baseborn child as a legal heir of their noble parent. Therefore, if any of Robert's bastards would be legitimized, they would inherit Storm's End by default as rightful Baratheons. 

Being elevated into nobility by the way of legitimization and by the way of gaining the title in one own's right are two different things. 

You can become legitimatized without being named heir. I understand by Westeorsi tradition in this scenario it would make sense to name him heir and lord. Westerosi tradition as we have seen it has been breaking down since the death of Aerys. Westeros will look and feel completely different at this point of the story. 

Though You may be right and they get it automatically due to tradition but it really depends who needs to be rewarded and for what. 

7 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

That long-faced idiot of a lord commander on the Wall, Jon Snow, is crazy enough to cause an extinction of the humans in Westeros.  But our dragon-riding heroine in the east is not going to make that kind of mistake.

George used the number “3” to symbolize deaths. She is good as dead. She happens to be the opposite of too smart. She might be one of the dumbest players in the game. No way both Jon and Dany survive and since Jon has already been killed (and presumably brought back) one of them has to go. This is not a fairytale. George is writing a war story and her along many others will die. And Aegon is Targaryen, He is the son of Rhaegar & Lyanna. Dany will kill him and be cursed a kin slayer without knowing 

On 6/26/2020 at 3:01 AM, zandru said:

I  thought we were discussing the feudal world of Westeros? Not modern day US. I was trying to make an in-book observation, not current political commentary. What do you think your Westerosi Smallfolk on the Street would think about Renly's sexual preferences? Howza bout the Sept? That was my point.

No one calls them an abomination. That comes from Christianity, a religion that doesn't exist in Westeros. Are some people homophobic in Westeros? Yes. Do most small folk give a crap? No. Renly was well loved by the smallfolk; and based on what we see, rumors of his sexuality are fairly widely spread. As far as the Sept is concerned, they seem more concerned with bastards (something Renly and Loras can't produce) than they do homosexuality. There is very little in world reference that suggests that the faith would be any more upset about Renly cheating on Maergerry with Loras than they would if he cheated on her with some woman. Now again, this doesn't mean there wasn't plenty of homophobia, there clearly is, or Loras and Renly wouldn't be so secretive. However, the plain fact that..everyone basically knows about it and doesn't really do anything about it...almost suggests there is less homophobia in Westeros than there is in like...1960's United States. And again, even taken all of this in mind, your comment is still in bad taste, because we aren't Westerosi dude. Your other comments seem to be written by a book reader, not a character in ASOIAF. So don't know why you'd suddenly go into character mid-post. 

Actually, as long as I'm replying to part of what you said about Renly, let me add more. Renly didn't "tear the kingdom in half by not declaring for Stannis". If Stannis had not had a sorceress, he would have either died or been captured by Renly. Renly would have then easily, easily taken King's Landing. Now, what would happen after that is unknown, but I would put money down on Renly and Robb not going to war, and instead making common cause against Tywin. Even in universe, no one thinks of Renly that way. Stannis is basically universally disliked. I would guess after these wars end, the Lannisters (outside of the Westerlands) will be universally disliked. Also note, even if Renly hadn't have declared himself King, Robb was already on that trajectory as well. The Lannisters will get blamed for tearing the Kingdom apart, as they should, because it was absolutely their lust for power that led to basically everything that happened. Again, Renly was well liked. I see no reason for that to change in universe. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:17 PM, Miss_Saffron said:

If Mya grew up in Stormlands and the idea of legitimizing her would come from the people there, then this scenario would be very likely. But Mya has more ties with the Vale than with Stormlands. The Storm Lords may very well see her as a person who could be easily influenced/more loyal to the interests of the Vale (as it were people of the Vale, who raised her to the status of a lady) and this might not please them quite as much

But I think it is upto her. Nearly everyone in the Vale know her parentage, while she doen't(she barely remembers Robert from her childhood). Would she want to be a Lady with problems about running a whole part of the 7K or would want to be happy and carefree with her mules in the place she loves,(though the boy she loved left her)?

I agree neither Stannis nor Shireen will survive, or be in a position to claim Storm's End by the end. So it would logically go Edric. But IMO he is too minor a character, and the story is already late for him to develop. There will be plenty of opportunities for him to die.

IMO the place is set for Gendry. The world will be different after the LN. The aloft, uncaring lords dead. I hope those replacing them will be more caring, will have a better understanding of the common folk, like Davos and Gendry. Like Egg had. Like fAgeon has. But of course he is cannon fodder for Dany.

Robert said to Ned they should marry their children. He was talking of Joffrey and Sansa. But it fits nicely with Gendry and Arya. They would be quite unconventional lord and lady of Storm's End.

IMO Mya will stay with Sansa. Probably in the Vale.

Who the hell is Gendry?  And why should anyone choose him to be Lord of anything?

Yes, I know that Gendry is Robert's bastard son.   But nobody in Westeros knows that.  Not only is he unacknowledged, he is entirely unknown, and appearances and note from Varys won't change that.

He has no real accomplishments to speak of, and I see no likelihood of any to come.  He has no education, no knowledge of politics or military subjects at all, and I've seen no real leadership skills either.  He seems to have little knowledge or interest in anything that doesn't involve bashing metal.  I like the kid, but leadership/lordship material he isn't.

If anyone becomes Lord of Storms End after the deaths of Stannis and Shireen (that they will die I don't doubt) it will be Edric Storm.  He has essentially been shrink-wrapped off stage.  He is a known quantity to the Stormlords and has sufficient education to make a go of it.  While he may be a bit of a minor character, the Stormlands haven't exactly played a major part in the series, either.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:35 AM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The Baratheons will die out and deservedly so.  They took the kingdom from the family who built it and brought it to ruin.   Gendry will be the only one who might live.  He will figure how to make Valyrian Steel by sticking his iron sword into Arya's chest. 

The Targs were dishonourable and broke marriage contracts, they burned high lords in their armour and killed heirs to other high lordships - Elbert Arryn, for example. They were asking to be removed from Kingship with their actions.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:41 AM, Nevets said:

Who the hell is Gendry?  And why should anyone choose him to be Lord of anything?

Yes, I know that Gendry is Robert's bastard son.   But nobody in Westeros knows that.  Not only is he unacknowledged, he is entirely unknown, and appearances and note from Varys won't change that.

He has no real accomplishments to speak of, and I see no likelihood of any to come.  He has no education, no knowledge of politics or military subjects at all, and I've seen no real leadership skills either.  He seems to have little knowledge or interest in anything that doesn't involve bashing metal.  I like the kid, but leadership/lordship material he isn't.

If anyone becomes Lord of Storms End after the deaths of Stannis and Shireen (that they will die I don't doubt) it will be Edric Storm.  He has essentially been shrink-wrapped off stage.  He is a known quantity to the Stormlords and has sufficient education to make a go of it.  While he may be a bit of a minor character, the Stormlands haven't exactly played a major part in the series, either.

Please see the reply which precedes yours. 

Westeros needs rulers and lords who are mindful of the commonfolk's sufferings like Gendry, Davis, fAegon etc. And those who are gonna believe Jon is Rhaegar s and Lyanna s son,  fAegon is is really Aegon are the same who are gonna believe Gendry. 

Blood does not matter in these hard times, deeds do. 

20 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Please see the reply which precedes yours. 

Westeros needs rulers and lords who are mindful of the commonfolk's sufferings like Gendry, Davis, fAegon etc. And those who are gonna believe Jon is Rhaegar s and Lyanna s son,  fAegon is is really Aegon are the same who are gonna believe Gendry. 

Blood does not matter in these hard times, deeds do. 

If he does great deeds,, fine.  But I have yet to see him do anything outside of a blacksmith's shop.  And if he has any leadership skills, he has kept them well hidden.  And nobody knows he is Robert's son, so it's going to be hard to disclose.  Jon's heritage is known to at least one other person, plus it can be figured out if you think on it enough.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

And nobody knows he is Robert's son, so it's going to be hard to disclose

Arya suspects, Brienne knows and certainly Varys and LF would know. 

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

If he does great deeds,, fine.  But I have yet to see him do anything outside of a blacksmith's shop

He has survived for so long with the BwB, that says something. And at the fight outside the Crossroads Inn, he didn't disgrace himself (meaning that he held his own)

He is known to be clever(not IQ160+ clever, but clever nonetheless), selfless and has shown leadership skills while with Arya and the BwB. 

7 hours ago, Nevets said:

And nobody knows he is Robert's son, so it's going to be hard to disclose.  Jon's heritage is known to at least one other person, plus it can be figured out if you think on it enough.

I don't really know how it can be figured out, Jon is Ned's copy and people believe him his bastards, in fact Gendry looks so much like Robert and Renly that only plot explains why he is still in the dark, that or the fact that people are used to think of fat Robert.

The only literal thing Gendry needs to do for people to know who he comes from is wash himself and put on some nice clothes.  Besides people know Gendry is Robert's son, Varys does and Brienne figured it out inlike what 5 minutes.

Archived