Jump to content
TheLastWolf

The next Baratheon

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

They lost the battle but not the war.  King Viserys III survived, as did Princess Daenerys and Prince Aegon. 

The Baratheons had a brief victory.  Which did not last one succession. 

1) They literally lost a war. It was Targaryen vs. Targaryen and they brought it on themselves.

2) Aegon conquered Westeros with 3 Dragons. Robert conquered Westeros with a hammer while he was drunk.

3) You’re still dodging. The Targaryens literally lost to the Baratheons. If the Baratheons are losers, the Targaryens are bigger losers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Orm said:

If Orys and the Targs never conquered we simply would have Robert Durrandon and Stannis Durrandon...lol....

The Targaryens could have taken Storm's End and its lands without Orys. 

17 minutes ago, Orm said:

 

 The results of Roberts rebellion disagrees I am afraid.......

No it does not.  Robert lasted less than 20 years compared to 300. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The Targaryens could have taken Storm's End and its lands without Orys. 

No it does not.  Robert lasted less than 20 years compared to 300. 

It's fair to call the Baratheon reign a total failure, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

They did.  Every ruler during that time period of approximately three hundred years was a Targaryen.

:D

And the Baratheons?  Oh yeah, Robert was on the throne. Talk about a disaster.  All the while getting cuckolded.  Then bringing the kingdom to financial ruin. Losing his Hand.  And then his little brothers fighting over the throne as soon as he stopped his oxygen addiction.  The Baratheon reign will be a small footnote in history.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The Targaryens could have taken Storm's End and its lands without Orys

Without midieval magical nukes, could they?.....

 

12 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

No it does not.  Robert lasted less than 20 years compared to 300

Technically speaking the right to Roberts legacy is what being fought over currently in the story thus far......

 

Anyways I am done throwing jabs at people who are being Targ-tards...

Take the dragons away.... And they are just a bunch of inbred lunatics....

Edited by Orm
Punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Orm said:

Without midieval magical nukes, could they?.....

 

Technically speaking the right to Roberts legacy is what being fought over currently in the story thus far......

 

Anyways I am done throwing jabs at people who are being Targ-tards...

Take the dragons away.... And they are just a bunch of inbred lunatics....

Bye and have a nice day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Edric is the most likely choice, since he’s had an aristocrats education.

Joffrey, Aegon the Unworthy, maegor the cruel, Tommen and a countless other Lords, knights, prince's and kings had aristocratic education. That didn't make em fit to rule. Add Robert too. Good knight, bad king. 

Gendry is from the smallfolk. He would understand their needs and do the required. Edric would strut and boast about his father, nothing more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Gendry is from the smallfolk.

If Gendry ever became lord or king he will probably be like Aegon V.....

 

21 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Edric would strut and boast about his father, nothing more. 

Edric is a decent enough kid.... Comparing him to Joffrey is uncalled for.....

And since he had good times with his Absentee dad..... It is also uncalled for to demean him for hyping a dude who's a self-made king even if he can't handle kingship...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Joffrey, Aegon the Unworthy, maegor the cruel, Tommen and a countless other Lords, knights, prince's and kings had aristocratic education. That didn't make em fit to rule. Add Robert too. Good knight, bad king. 

Gendry is from the smallfolk. He would understand their needs and do the required. Edric would strut and boast about his father, nothing more. 

I never said that would make him a good ruler. Some of my favourite leaders in history, weren’t the best educated. I’m just saying that it would make him easier to accept by the nobility and it doesn’t hurt that he was recognized by Robert, had a higbirn mother and grew up at Storms End.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

It was also destructive.

Didn’t Aerys try to burn around a half a million Westerosi alive in the capital, because he was losing the war that he’d started with the Baratheons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can actually see Stannis do an Aegon IV - legitimize every of Robert's bastards - but only if Shireen dies before him. At the moment he would not, but Stannis has proven to adapt his opinion on certain issues with experience, especially when his situation becomes desperate. What I don't see him doing is acknowledging defeat for the Baratheon line and allow Targ or Lannister to claim the Iron Throne without resistance. So, in case his direct heir Shireen is dead, I don't see him putting his eggs in one basket (Edric) anymore, but acknowledge and legitimize any bastard, so that there will always be a Baratheon to rally behind if needs be, girl or boy.

As with Aegon IV's bastards, some will go on to establish their own house, others will try to claim the Baratheon house. So, Edric gets Storm's End, Gendry establishes his own house wherever he requires it to be, and Mya gets to be a Lady whose hand will be sought after. Not sure about Bella.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

As with Aegon IV's bastards, some will go on to establish their own house, others will try to claim the Baratheon house. So, Edric gets Storm's End, Gendry establishes his own house wherever he requires it to be, and Mya gets to be a Lady whose hand will be sought after. Not sure about Bella.

Aren't the only royal bastards alive are Gendry, Mya, Edric and Bella?

 

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

can actually see Stannis do an Aegon IV -

Well if he does that.... How is he gonna make it public? Could the situation turn out to be like Robb's will?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Joffrey, Aegon the Unworthy, maegor the cruel, Tommen and a countless other Lords, knights, prince's and kings had aristocratic education. That didn't make em fit to rule. Add Robert too. Good knight, bad king. 

Gendry is from the smallfolk. He would understand their needs and do the required. Edric would strut and boast about his father, nothing more. 

George loves his simple but good protagonists.  Duncan.  Davos.  Men with very little formal education and are not the sharpest tools in the shed.  But they have stout hearts and fundamentally good inside.  Even so, I don't want Gendry's ass on any throne except his own chamber pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

They did.  Every ruler during that time period of approximately three hundred years was a Targaryen.

A remarkable achievement by any measure.  The Targaryens are at the top of the food chain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I can actually see Stannis do an Aegon IV - legitimize every of Robert's bastards - but only if Shireen dies before him. At the moment he would not, but Stannis has proven to adapt his opinion on certain issues with experience, especially when his situation becomes desperate. What I don't see him doing is acknowledging defeat for the Baratheon line and allow Targ or Lannister to claim the Iron Throne without resistance. So, in case his direct heir Shireen is dead, I don't see him putting his eggs in one basket (Edric) anymore, but acknowledge and legitimize any bastard, so that there will always be a Baratheon to rally behind if needs be, girl or boy.

Nah, Stannis would never do that. Any such legitimized children would have better claims than he does, considering that they are Robert Baratheon's children. That would be an invitation to usurpation (further down the road), especially in light of the fact how Stannis treated Edric. The boy is not going to forget that he had to flee Dragonstone to stay alive.

Also, it would complicate things if an older Stannis - perhaps with a new wife - finally fathered a son. I mean, the guy is only in his thirties and if he were to win his war he could live to the age of seventy or eighty.

Bottom line is - Stannis doesn't give a rat's ass about his dynastic duties. He failed to produce a son with Selyse during the reign of Robert, and he failed to make any attempts to impregnate his lawful wife during the months he was preparing for war on Dragonstone after he had become convinced of the twincest - which gave him the notion that he and his line were the rightful heirs to the Iron Throne - nor during the War of the Five Kings itself.

Stannis doesn't give a damn what happens to House Baratheon when he closes his eyes for good. He doesn't even groom Shireen to take up his torch should he die. She never attended his councils, never spent time with her father, was never presented to the troops as the heir apparent, etc. I mean, the man helped to ensure its ruin and eradication when he had Renly murdered.

And one can even make a case that he may have refused to tell Robert his twincest story because he feared that Robert might rather legitimize one of his bastards than actually naming Stannis his heir. In fact, if Ned had told Robert the truth on his deathbed and Robert had believed it and decided to disinherit Cersei's children I don't think he would have chosen Stannis as his successor. He wanted Ned to rule because he thought Ned would do a good job ... and that indicates he may have decided to legitimize Edric Storm to make him his successor who Ned would then serve as Lord Regent and Protector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Orm said:

Aren't the only royal bastards alive are Gendry, Mya, Edric and Bella?

Robert tried for a tour of Westeros and allegedly had 16 bastards, and not all presumably in King's Landing. Cersei allegedly had twins killed in Lannisport. Barra we know for certain. We don't know how many others she had killed in KL. We know of Gendry, Mya, Edric and Bella being alive, but there could be others.

20 hours ago, Orm said:

Well if he does that.... How is he gonna make it public? Could the situation turn out to be like Robb's will?

I believe Stannis will be still in a position again to announce his intents. I don't think he will go Robb's secretive way, but make it known to all of Westeros. Likely by raven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...