Covid-19 #15 : It Ain't Over Until It's Over

Fragile Bird

As this was the last in the old thread, I'll copy it here:

Now is absolutely not the time to relax one's own measures for one's own safety, especially masking, distancing, self isolation as far as possible, and washing and disinfecting.

This is particularly true for those of us in the vulnerable categories due to age and / or underlying conditions such as respiratory problems like ours from 9/11, diabetes, heart disease.

The cases all around the country are spiking as badly as they did here in April.

For one thing the cases among the under thirty demographic are spiking the highest, and those are everywhere and doing nothing in terms of safety for themselves or others. They are now the superspreaders.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/opinions/20-and-30-year-olds-spreading-covid-19-bromage/index.html

These people will come where we / you are. Despite what these governors think they can do to stop it.

Because deathcultists chose to do little or nothing, and to lie lie lie, this means the virus keep expanding the human population in which it exists, whether asymptomatic or full blown near death infection. Which means the virus has more territory in which to mutate. Which means it's here for good. And our chances of getting it will keep growing too -- at least until there's some sort of vaccine (if ever) that can at least work like the seasonal flu vaccine -- meaning a new one every year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/world/coronavirus-updates.html?

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut will require certain out-of-state residents entering their states to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival. At the moment, that applies to nine states, including Florida, Texas and Washington State, New York’s governor said.

How they think they can do this, enforce it, I don't know. Maybe at the airports? maybe at NYC's bridges and tunnels, but otherwise? But I don't think this is going to stop a new spike here because, as I said before, the Young aren't observing any safety precautions at all. They are also coming and going to other places and seeing other people than NYers. The spiking is definitely coming back. So we are staying in isolation ourselves for sure as much as possible, while trying to squeeze in the medical attention we need that has been postponed for so long due to trying to survive covid-19.

In the meantime EU countries opening for tourism won't accept people from the US, which means Europeans aren't coming here either. Would you in these conditions?

Which among other things means -- well, let's just think about NYC in Junes past. From the first week of June, every day saw more LGBTQ people from Europe particularly, but from all over the US and the world show up, and show up particularly down here where we live. They were very well heeled, and they stayed for long periods, peaking with the annual Gay Pride Weekend and parade. Not happening. So think of the lost revenue to NYC just from that single event, in the single month of June. This is going to be the case every month from here on out.

As far as possible we distance and self isolate. But, even we, we are going to experiment tonight after 11 PM meeting up with our friend and drink wine together in a local pocket park, bringing our own seating, 6 feet apart and masks.  How this will work, or if it can work, I have no idea!  The only reason we three are meeting like this is that we trust each other implicitly, through many years of emergencies, crises, and working together.  We know he's been as careful all through this as we have been, and he knows the same with us.  Shoot, he hasn't even been in the same room with his baby mama -- they talk outside, in masks, at Distance.  And on Zoom, Skype, phone, and so on. But not the same.  Not the same at all.

And wearing masks has never been required.  Though when it was in California, that's when the virus cases dropped spectacularly.  As soon as people stopped wearing masks back it was.

And now ball-less TX gov can only timidly 'recommend' people wear masks and stay home.  He's terrified if he did more They would kill him.  But he helped created this, including the climate in which people are willing to kill people who want to wear masks.

39,072 news cases on April 24th was the US high point, according to Worldometer, which tracks slightly differently from Johns Hopkins. Today right now Worldometer is showing 38,960. I don't know if more will be still added. The high was at the peak of New York's outbreak. I suspect a new high is going to be set pretty soon, if not today.

According to NBC news, which does it's own tracking, the number of US cases on Wednesday set a new rcord of 45,557.

Worldometer cuts off at 8 or 9 pm US time. I assume NBC includes the late reporting states, which Worldometer will pick up tomorrow. By their calculations, this number is more than 9,000 cases higher than the previous record set April 26. (Also slightly different than Worldometer).

I'd say that where I'm at the number of people wearing masks in grocery stores and gas stations has dropped to maybe 60-70%.   And a decent portion of those wearing masks are wearing them not covering the nose, sometimes not even the mouth.  It's even worse at the lumber yard and Home Depot/Lowe's/Walmart.  Had a customer ridicule me on monday for not wanting to enter their house to look at a job.  

Another wave here seems inevitable.

I really do not get why it is this controversial to wear masks. As lock-down rules go this is easy to achieve and is not hard like staying at home or school closures or shop closures.

About two month ago I wrote here about our countrys intention for a tracking app. This led to a long discussion about state control and data safety. Last week the tracking app was finally ready and this is how it works (or at least this is my understanding how it works):

You can (but don't have to) download the tracking app from the goverment website for free.

If you activate it (optinal) and if you activate Bluethooth, it will exchange a code with every other phone in the near vicinty (I think up to 4 m) which also has the app. This data will only be saved on these meeting phones (no central database). If you find out later that you were infected, you can (optional) tell this to your app, your phone will then notify all other phones which it has met. It does not give information where (so it is not known if the infected person is neighbour or a office coworker or such). If one gets such an alert on the app one can take the corona test for free  even without any symptoms and quickly (though this may be wishful thinking in a major outbreak situation).

I think, if this works, it looks like a good solution and data safety seems fine. 12 million (out of 80) people downloaded the app in the first week, but I think it will be much more if infections rise again; I have not downloaded it myself, since there were no infections in my city in the last 6 weeks, but I think I would use it in fall when the second wave starts.

So many perfect storms, deliberately created by deathcultchief whose cultists gleefully dash blindly in unison to whatever killing demand he puts forth.

Throw all safety -- gloves, masks distance, etc. -- into the garbage bin; make everyone sick. Plus, now and additionally, this crazy thing of fireworks -- not to mention destruction of an entire environment -- and his cultists are SO THERE. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/06/24/trump-mount-rushmore-fireworks/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-high_rushmore-tt-740pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Trump is headlining a fireworks show at Mount Rushmore. Experts worry that coronavirus and wildfire could both spread.
President Trump is planning a massive display July 3 despite a decade-long ban on pyrotechnics at the iconic monument because of concerns about public health and environmental and safety risks.

A national tragedy, creating ever more division among us, rather than bringing us together, creating ever more poverty and homelessness, rather than even a attempt for prosperity.

The 07/04 fireworks shows have all been canceled here, as they should be. Macy's, however, is putting up several unannounced smaller displays in a variety of locations on the rivers during the week, so that crowds won't be gathering.

17 hours ago, Fez said:

The lengths these fucks go to revel in their asshole-ness...

Look man. I saw this documentary when I was a kid and it can solve everything.

Just make them all where iron masks. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, JoannaL said:

I really do not get why it is this controversial to wear masks.

Europe just hates freedom?

But likes sex too much too? 

As others have said, the masks are controversial because Trump made it controversial.  It’s really a shining example of Trump’s complete and total lack of leadership.  The example set at the top really does matter, and when you have a narcissistic, ignorant, selfish asshole in the highest position in the land it shouldn’t come as a surprise when a segment of the population emulates that behavior.  

The area where I live is mainly a liberal area while my parents live in a mainly conservative area within the same state.  We were visiting them this weekend as our state guidelines allowed for a small expansion of the social bubble, and the difference in mask wearing around town between here and there was pretty stark.  Here I would say it really is near 100% in indoor settings like stores, while there almost nobody was doing it.  There is a direct correlation between mask wearing in an area and the popularity of the President.  It’s an absolute disgrace that so many prefer a Trump promoted fantasy over scientific reality and it’s an even bigger disgrace that this is where the President of the United States has led us.

The only good news I can scrape out of this is that there is a tiny glimmer of hope that his absolutely abysmal leadership in the handling of the two recent crises is actually starting to hurt him a little bit - and at just the right time.  Lets just hope that the Democrats don’t find some way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

16 minutes ago, S John said:

The only good news I can scrape out of this is that there is a tiny glimmer of hope that his absolutely abysmal leadership in the handling of the two recent crises is actually starting to hurt him a little bit - and at just the right time.  Lets just hope that the Democrats don’t find some way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Not when over 125,000 people requested tx to the Mount Rushmore wildfire of environment and virus, and 75,000 were on offer.

1 hour ago, JoannaL said:

I really do not get why it is this controversial to wear masks.

When the containment measures first started, the health care professionals in the US told people that masks aren't all that helpful for the general public and should be saved for people working directly with patients. Over time, this position slowly moved towards the global consensus (i.e. that everyone should wear masks), but by that time, enough people had internalized the original advice for Trump to try capitalizing on this split. Thus, strongly Republican areas are now anti-mask. In addition, the US has a strong libertarian streak and those people don't like being told what to wear on principle.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not when over 125,000 people requested tx to the Mount Rushmore wildfire of environment and virus, and 75,000 were on offer.

The Dems were never going to convince everyone, but the polling for Trump is terrible right now.

14 minutes ago, Altherion said:

When the containment measures first started, the health care professionals in the US told people that masks aren't all that helpful for the general public and should be saved for people working directly with patients. Over time, this position slowly moved towards the global consensus (i.e. that everyone should wear masks), but by that time, enough people had internalized the original advice for Trump to try capitalizing on this split. Thus, strongly Republican areas are now anti-mask. In addition, the US has a strong libertarian streak and those people don't like being told what to wear on principle.

Yes, as Dr. Fauci told Congress last week, they originally downplayed the importance of masks to stop a run on masks and to make sure healthcare workers wouldn't face a shortage of masks and other PPE.  In retrospect, that initial attempt to control mask demand has backfired, as wearing masks has proven even more effective in stopping the spread than they thought, if people use them.  

2 hours ago, Leofric said:

Yes, as Dr. Fauci told Congress last week, they originally downplayed the importance of masks to stop a run on masks and to make sure healthcare workers wouldn't face a shortage of masks and other PPE.  In retrospect, that initial attempt to control mask demand has backfired, as wearing masks has proven even more effective in stopping the spread than they thought, if people use them.  

This should be highlighted. Yes, I don't understand either the reluctance of people to wear masks. It is a simple yet quite effective measure, even if your masks aren't professional.

4 hours ago, S John said:

The area where I live is mainly a liberal area while my parents live in a mainly conservative area within the same state. 

If you're from West Virginia, do you ever get to say you live in a liberal area? I feel like you inherently just kind of bring all of that with you wherever you go. 

Except if you go to Nepal. I think they can save you. I think. 

But dear god, do not go to Australia. Those wild ass mofos aren't ready for your lot. Even they would look at your kind and be like "what the fuck are these monsters?" 

And it's the TX governor's fault as much as anyone's. (Full disclosure -- many very dear friends in Texas, and they aren't leaving their houses except to drive for groceries.)

This account of things in Texas is truly horrifying. And yes, they have run out of beds even in Houston.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coronavirus-fear-and-resignation-surge-with-the-pandemic-in-texas?ref=home

At the end of each day, Pranish Kantesaria takes off his N95 mask—sometimes soiled in spit and mucus from COVID-19 patients—and drives home from a hospital in Austin, Texas.

Months into the pandemic, the director of pharmacy at Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation said his family’s life has changed in ways both trivial and severe. The constant, bubbling anxiety inspired a pivot from wine to cocktails. His wife, a physician’s assistant, switched to the night shift so that a parent can always be home with their children aged 1 and 6. Kantesaria started financial planning classes in case he one day feels he must leave the health-care industry to protect his daughters, one of whom is immune-compromised.

“If one of us brings COVID home, she could end up in the ICU in a couple of days,” he said.

But while Kantesaria, his wife, his 71-year-old mother, and their daughters have adjusted to life under the novel coronavirus, other Austinites have seemingly gone about their business. Kantesaria told The Daily Beast on Wednesday that it’s frustrating to see people at the grocery store or dining-in at restaurants without masks or appropriate social distancing. 

That’s a common complaint amid a massive surge of COVID-19 cases in a slew of states that public experts have said reopened too quickly and recklessly, and without following federal recommendations for supplies, testing, and contact tracing. But it’s especially glaring in Texas, where officials reported 5,551 new cases on Wednesday—a new record—after breaking the 5,000-case mark for the first time a day earlier.

[....]

Still, on Tuesday, Abbott urged Texans to stay home if they can; gave local authorities the power to restrict outdoor gatherings of more than 100 people; and said Texas would create mandatory health standards for child care centers since the rules were until now voluntary, The Texas Tribune reported.

On Thursday, Abbott took an extra step, pausing the phased reopening of the state and suspending elective surgeries at hospitals in Bexar, Dallas, Harris, and Travis counties. 

“COVID-19 is now spreading at an unacceptable rate in Texas, and it must be corralled,” Abbott said during a news conference this week. [....]

To continue with Abbot's ranchy imagery -- that's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Archived