Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Losing the Covid-19

Tell me about it, i slid on some ice three weeks ago, didnt even fall, and im still pretty much sidelined because i hurt my stomach in the unfall and its still not good.

I can run in pretty cold temps, but I can't run in the snow. Recent snowstorms here have forced me onto the treadmill, and it's so awful. I have to do a walk/run to even get through a medium length run (5 miles). Definitely not going to attempt my weekend long run on the damn thing. Plus the polar vortex is coming through now, which means the snow/ice that's down isn't going to clear up anytime soon. Grumble grumble

Slowly rehabbing my finger after a mild joint strain in October last year. Keeps getting a little irritated and swollen after a hard climbing session, but hasn't completely locked up and given significant pain like it was semi-regularly a month ago. Bloody soft tissue injuries. I swear it'd be faster healing if I'd just broken the thing. But I'm getting back towards as strong as I was about 6 months ago.

Working on core / pull up strength in the meantime. Core I'm mainly working hanging L-sits, working longer term towards the front lever. I didn't appreciate that these are extremely shoulder intense too. They really ache afterwards, but starting to comfortably hit 10 second holds. 

Edited by Impmk2

I've mostly started a routine of biking about 25 miles on my stationary bike when I use it. It seems like how I hard I push myself when biking makes a bigger difference to my energy level by the end of the day than I would have anticipated. Going at a leisurely pace about the whole time doesn't seem to sap me nearly as much as a faster pace that causes me to breath hard even though it was all 25 miles the same.

Back and arms are sore as hell from shoveling snow - hot Epsom bath and a 45 min yoga routine helped.

Plan is to do a few rounds on the pull-up bar and then a moderate hangboard routine this afternoon, we’ll see.

I’d really like to build some muscle but am having a hard time finding routines that work with my equipment, just have adjustable (2x 52.5lb) dumbbells. Don’t have a ton of space, so getting a bench/bar isn’t out of the question, but it’s hard to justify when I don’t have a weightlifting background/am not sure I’ll enjoy it long term/probably have shite technique and no one to correct me.

Shoveling snow really does mess with workouts, although it is a type of exercise.  It takes me 90 minutes to clear our large driveway of just a light snowfall like 1-2 inches — and that’s working fast, saturating my T-shirt in sweat.  I did that on Tuesday evening, then felt a bit sore on Wednesday around obliques and lower back, and then Thursday I had to shovel snow again.  So I got no midweek session of weightlifting.

But this is a long weekend in the US, so I had an extra rest day on Saturday (lots of home chores to do) and now I’m about to do a session of bench press and rowing, plus I’ll still have an open day tomorrow for a legs session.

Last weekend we did an hour of sledding for some fun family time instead of a legs session in the gym.  Jogging up that hill so many times in deep snow was a workout too, but now I should return to squats.

Today started week 12 of my 12 week lifting program.  Have made a TON of progress, but I definitely need to switch up my routine after this week because my shoulders need a break.  I think I'm going to go do a month or so of barre, focusing on body weight, small, and functional movements - maybe throw some yoga in there as well.  Need to get some length back into these new muscles :)