GRRM's world and its resemblances to our real one. From Religion to Politics and Geography to Wildlife

TheLastWolf

4 hours ago, dsjj251 said:
5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Not when your history is for 8-10000 yes. 

You have both created and then moved the goal post LOL.

Not sure what you mean.

All that I said was that 300 years is a short period for a bloodline that has ruled for 8000 years at least (since the Age of heroes)

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Not sure what you mean.

All that I said was that 300 years is a short period for a bloodline that has ruled for 8000 years at least (since the Age of heroes)

Some folks are touchy about this. I guess 300 years is good for a family tree that almost looks like a straight line. 

On 7/18/2020 at 6:36 AM, dsjj251 said:

Stormlands = Holy Roman Empire

Sorry, I must disagree with this one. It seems obvuous to me that Valyria is fantasy Rome: a great empire, based on a peninsula, that expanded to control most of the continent.  But then it collapsed, leaving behind some great roads, buildings, and other artifacts of superior knowledge and technology that was lost to later civilizations.

12 hours ago, Aebram said:

Sorry, I must disagree with this one. It seems obvuous to me that Valyria is fantasy Rome: a great empire, based on a peninsula, that expanded to control most of the continent.  But then it collapsed, leaving behind some great roads, buildings, and other artifacts of superior knowledge and technology that was lost to later civilizations.

This is Holy Roman Empire:

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.651147012.0270/mwo,x1000,ipad_2_snap-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Valyria is Roman Empire, but HRE had nothing with actual Roman Empire.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:30 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Not sure what you mean.

The zenith of Durrandon rule was 300 years. The same as the zenith of what we describe as the HRE was about 370 years. 

I dont necessarily agree with the 8000 year history number, but that doesnt actually have anything to do with the simple fact that the Stormlands were the single largest kingdom that was then broken up in to several minor kingdoms .

On 7/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, TheLastWolf said:

I think that snarks and grumkins do not exist in the world of Planetos, they are merely fictional bogeymen named to scare restless children into obedience.

(Information in books that have not yet been published, may yet change matters.)

On 7/8/2020 at 2:07 PM, TheLastWolf said:

And cyvasse is like chess and its played in Old Volantis which is similar to India ,with its tropical heat and humidity + tigers-&elephants.Rhoyne is like the Ganges Indus all rolled into one. And CHESS originated in India. See the parallels. And I was wrong about Qarth and Asshai being India

@Aldarionfrom your recent posts in many threads , I gather that you must be a History UG/PG, Major or Minor or something. Do please correct me if I am wrong.

INDIA PARALLELS 

Cyvasse - Chess

Tigers and Elephants--obviously 

Hathays are elephant palanquins - Elephant in Hindi is HATHI 

Hot humid sweaty climate - obviously again 

Rhoyne - Ganges + Indus + Brahmaputra 

Spices like Black peppers - South Indian obviously again 

Now what I'm going to say while draw the ire of loyalist VS STEEL fans like @Curled Finger but read on

Valyrian steel is really Volantene steel if my all these parallels are true. 

Because..... We know that VS is based on Damascus steel. But what is Damascus steel based on. 

WOOTZ STEEL FROM TAMILNADU /KERALA /KARNATAKA in India. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wootz_steel

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

Damascus steel was the forged steel of the blades of swords smithed in the Near East from ingots of Wootz steel[1] imported from Southern India and Sri Lanka.

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

@Aldarionfrom your recent posts in many threads , I gather that you must be a History UG/PG, Major or Minor or something. Do please correct me if I am wrong.

Media, actually. I did study history for a while, but couldn't memorize the years for life of me (I never was very good with remembering numbers - couldn't remember even my own birth date for years).

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

INDIA PARALLELS 

Cyvasse - Chess

Now what I'm going to say while draw the ire of loyalist VS STEEL fans like @Curled Finger but read on

Because..... We know that VS is based on Damascus steel. But what is Damascus steel based on. 

Damascus steel was the forged steel of the blades of swords smithed in the Near East from ingots of Wootz steel[1] imported from Southern India and Sri Lanka.

Yeah, nothing to add.

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

INDIA PARALLELS 

Cyvasse - Chess

It's not Volantene Steel.  It's Valyrian Steel, made of magic and unlikely ingredients and supernatural forging.  Damascus Steel is what Valyrian Steel is based upon, not some in world process.   Wootz was complied of completely natural ingredients.  Damascus Steel was just really good stuff, better than anything before of since.  Valyrian Steel is magical, for crying out loud. 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:18 PM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Leng, an island south of Yi Ti with mentions of the fact that it cut itself off from the rest of the world (like Japan did) could have a little Japanese inspiration. However, based on the limited description of its culture and people, I'd guess Cambodia or Thailand would be better real world inspirations for Leng.

I always thought Leng was inspired by Taiwan. Especially considering its geography and culture. It's an island southeast of the mainland. It has some indigenous population, but the larger part of the population is descended from Yi Ti, they look very much the same, follow the same traditions, pray to the same gods, and speak a dialect of the YiTish language, 

You are right, however, that its flora and fauna, as well as the ancient, ruined cities in the depths of the jungle, resemble Indochina much more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 10:47 AM, Aldarion said:

Back on topic, I personally see entirety of Essos as pure laziness on GRRM's part. He needed a bunch of villains for Daenerys to beat up, so he took the worst carricatures of slaving societies and so you got Slaver's Bay. He needed a threat for Robert to crap his pants over, so he took carricature of Mongols and picked things which seemed "foreign" or "exotic" to him. In fact, Essos is less of medieval Asia as it is medieval Asia as it was seen by medieval Europeans. Just take a look at image which Europeans and Arabs had about each other before crusades.

From this, to the way he talks about black Targaryens, to his most recent appearance at the Hugo’s, I think GRRM is becoming an example of what unconscious bias looks like.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, Aldarion said:

That part is what Martin was trying to emulate, I think. Problem is that we have a PoV smack in the middle of Essos, which means that yes, cultures could be and should be alien - but there is no excuse for them being illogical. Martin replicated distant PoV but with a PoV in close proximity instead.

History told through the travelers tales is Eurocentric anyway. Like we need more stories told through the eyes of the conquistadors. 

• 3 weeks later...

ALL BELOW WERE NOT MENTIONED EARLIER...And more yet unmentioned and unnoticed to come...

1. Oldtown = Alexandria housed the largest library in the world then and was home to many of the greatest mathematicians, philophers and other scientists of the time. Alexandria was also the location of the Lighthouse of Pharos (Pharos was a small island just off the coast of Alexandria).
  2. SO HIGHTOWER- LIGHTHOUSE OF PHAROS
  3. The Wall = Hadrian’s wall
  4. The First Men = The Celts
  5. The Andals = The Romans in Britain
  6. The Rhoynar = The Anglo-Saxons
  7. Eddard “Ned” Stark = Richard of York
  8. Cersei Lannister = Margaret of Anjou
  9. Joffrey Baratheon/Lannister = Edward of Westminster
  10. The Red Wedding = The Black Dinner
  11. Wildfire = Greek Fire

Source: https://holmertzreport.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/game-of-thrones-real-world-equivalents/

• Fleabottom-Hounslow.
  • The Iron Islands are both Vikings and Irish. (The Irish were terrific raiders once IIRC) 
  • KL not London but Londinium
  • ADD TO VALYRIA-ROME/GREECE ref. The freehold-Senate?
  • Ghis and its old lands better represent Persia 
  • Norvos and Qohor are the Russian principalities  -  Bears, Beards, slobber,absurd badass-masculinity, pine forests etc etc

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/6ifwvj/spoilers_extended_real_world_political_geography/ 

SEE THIS if u want more (but same as what is discussed here only in unwanted detail)

ALSO THIS, Though not much of a help

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 10:28 PM, Ser Leftwich said:

cheese = cheese

wine = wine

These are a bit of a stretch, but you can see it if you squint.

No need to squint. And you forgot cock=dick=cock=u

Anyway iam here to link my Unlucky numbers and the superstitions about them which have an eerily similar real world parallel. 

13....!!!!oooo...spooky

Archived