TWOW in 2021 seems ever more likely

8 hours ago, Brother Seamus said:

I've always felt the most likely explanation for what this meant was that Dany has to pay a visit to Asshai before - and in some sense as a precondition to - getting back to westeros.

Didn't GRRM say we wouldn't see Asshai, except in memories?

I think "to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow" refers to an event during Long Night 2.0, not Asshai, so I doubt we'll see that in TWOW.

I started listening to a podcast called "Davos' Fingers" a few months ago to get a summary of what has happened in the books so far, as I had a good feeling that The Winds of Winter would be released in 2020.  So I am now feeling simultaneously encouraged ("The writing is going well") and discouraged ("I still have a long way to go").   

One of the pod casters made a good point that the fandom is burnt out theorizing about what is going to happen next, and that we desperately need new material.  I couldn't agree more.

On a positive note, my brain has been slowly deleting most of everything that happened in the television show.  Seasons 6-8 just don't exist.

23 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I started listening to a podcast called "Davos' Fingers" a few months ago to get a summary of what has happened in the books so far, as I had a good feeling that The Winds of Winter would be released in 2020.  So I am now feeling simultaneously encouraged ("The writing is going well") and discouraged ("I still have a long way to go").   

One of the pod casters made a good point that the fandom is burnt out theorizing about what is going to happen next, and that we desperately need new material.  I couldn't agree more.

On a positive note, my brain has been slowly deleting most of everything that happened in the television show.  Seasons 6-8 just don't exist.

Thank you for the new podcast recommendation! 

I think we will see TWOW by 2022 if George stays in his finishing cabin until he is done. If he leaves it without TWOW being finished, all bets are off. 

I agree we desperately need TWOW for new material to read and for new theories. If you can't find a theory for every angle of everything in the 5 books, it just means you haven't dug deep enough. 

On 7/13/2020 at 9:20 AM, Werthead said:

Things that exist solely in the ancillary material will not likely be critical to ASoIaF's endgame: if the Five Forts, the GEotD or Deep Ones are to play any significant role, they'd have to be introduced again and independently in a novel and explained at length, which is unlikely to happen now for space reasons. One of the reasons George had WoIaF and F&B was so that interesting trivia he'd created for the series could find a home without bogging down the novels with exposition.

There is also insufficient space or time for Dany to fit in a 6,000 mile side round trip to Asshai and back at this juncture. If Quaithe plays any further role, it'll be through her coming to Dany, wherever she is.

How much time do you think will be covered in TWOW? 

On 7/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, kissdbyfire said:

On top of what others have said, we have Martin saying the same thing irt Asshai.

[Will we see Asshai?]

Only in flasback and memory, if at all.

Of course. The whole purpose of all lands east of Meereen (and some west of it) is world-building. Vague hints of what lies beyond the confines of the story. Their mysteries are just there to provide mystery to the setting. If any POV character ever went to Asshai, its purpose would be ruined, because it would be like touching the horizon with an outstretched hand. It would remove the mystery of what the lands beyond are like, dissolve the unknown, and necessitate the invention of more locations to place beyond the limits of the known world. The story needs the mystic elements of unknown, faraway locations for its world-building. Actually visiting them would ruin their effects.

Plus, around half of what's written about those faraway locations is just homages to Lovecraft anyway. Want to know what's going on at the Thousand Islands? Read The Shadow over Innsmouth. Deep Ones and black stone? Add The Call of Cthulhu, and maybe The Whisperer in Darkness, and you'll have a pretty good picture.

55 minutes ago, Jekse said:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/07/19/writing-2/
''Even so, it has been going well of late.   Three more chapters completed this past week.   And good progress on several more. Still a long long way to go, though.   Do not get too excited.''

Don't get too excited should be GRRM's house words at this point..

So, let me get my facts straight. June 23rd, GRRM said on Not a Blog he made steady progress and that the was still a "long way to go." Now, it is July, 19th and he apparently made some more progress, yet the book is now become a "long long way to go"...

I think either GRMM is, again, not especially careful with his statements, or he doesn't subscribe to a linear understanding of time. The two aren't mutually exclusive, mind you.

Perhaps we should be looking for TWoW in the past, because the more progress is made, the farther away the book is from coming out, ha!

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Don't get too excited should be GRRM's house words at this point..

Does this hints at a huge book? After nine years of writing, and currently he's on roll (6 chapters within a month), does the long long hint at a long long book?

Food for thoughts! 

Even so, it has been going well of late.   Three more chapters completed this past week.   And good progress on several more.

Still a long long way to go, though.   Do not get too excited.

In my copious spare time, have been doing some editorial groundwork on three new Wild Cards books... 

How dare he have spare time? 

15 hours ago, BreakinTheWall said:

So, let me get my facts straight. June 23rd, GRRM said on Not a Blog he made steady progress and that the was still a "long way to go." Now, it is July, 19th and he apparently made some more progress, yet the book is now become a "long long way to go"...

I think either GRMM is, again, not especially careful with his statements, or he doesn't subscribe to a linear understanding of time. The two aren't mutually exclusive, mind you.

Perhaps we should be looking for TWoW in the past, because the more progress is made, the farther away the book is from coming out, ha!

You just made the Time Traveling Fetus theorists feel vindicated. 

I stopped trusting what George is saying years ago... His statements contradict one another and I'm done analyzing them. And to answer to the OP, no, I don't think 2021 seems that likely. Based on what? Why not '22 or '23?

15 minutes ago, Bayard said:

I stopped trusting what George is saying years ago... His statements contradict one another and I'm done analyzing them. And to answer to the OP, no, I don't think 2021 seems that likely. Based on what? Why not '22 or '23?

I suspect if, having been forced to abandon his traveling and many side projects for several months due to COVID, which appears to have led to renewed focus on Winds, does not give him the push to finish in 2021 he won't ever finish.

Does anybody else in this forum think that George didn't write a single chapter for the Winds of Winter throughout the duration of the television show (or if not a single chapter, then perhaps only a handful)?  I suspect all of the released sample chapters were one's that were meant to be in A Dance with Dragons, but got cut due to its length.  

I remember back in season 5 frequently checking the internet for updates regarding the completion of the Winds of Winter.  That was back in like what? 2015 or 2016?  And now it's 2020!  I really hate that the horrible television show had to spoil plot points from one of the greatest fantasy series ever written.  

Sorry, I just had to rant for a moment.  It's really not fair for me to complain, as I can't even imagine the pressure George has been and is currently under to write these books.  And with that much pressure, I can certainly see how that would cause an author to "freeze" and having writing blocks.  But selfishly, I want the book so, so badly.

With that being said, I am really thankful that George is continuing to write the series, and that the writing has been going a lot better lately,  I need something to swallow the awful taste that the television series left in my mouth.

In the meantime, I am just about to start reading "The First Law Trilogy" by Joe Abercrombie, as that was recommended by somebody else on this forum.

Archived