TWOW in 2021 seems ever more likely

@Loras What did GRRM do that was so bad?

8 hours ago, Donnycarko said:

^ From his latest blog post. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but second wave? I didn't think the US had gotten past the first wave. 

Silver lining = more quarantine equals more writing, I guess? 

I still don't really understand why the pandemic got so out-of-control in the United States. There are other countries with much less resources and - arguably - more dense populations that are doing so much better.

I don't get it.

More quarantine = more writing. Possibly? Although, if he gets stuck again or if all the extra time leads him to want to rewrite huge swathes of what he has already written...

*knock on wood*

4 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

@Loras What did GRRM do that was so bad?

I still don't really understand why the pandemic got so out-of-control in the United States. There are other countries with much less resources and - arguably - more dense populations that are doing so much better.

I

Not a mystery.  Trump perceived that an early strict response led by the national government would piss people off and they'd attribute it to him personally and it would hurt him politically, so he tried to pretend it was no big deal, and as a result the national government's response was grossly incompetent and lacking. Typical authoritarian incompetence.

@Werthead

You are my go to for publishing questions. 

We know that GRRM's publishers were gearing for a 2015/16 pub date for TWOW. We know about the Halloween and New Year's deadlines. 

So, since the publishers were gearing for that deadline, we can assume that they were working from their ends to achieve it as well as GRRM. My question is do we know of the cover they were planning to use? Who made it?

1 hour ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

@Werthead

You are my go to for publishing questions. 

We know that GRRM's publishers were gearing for a 2015/16 pub date for TWOW. We know about the Halloween and New Year's deadlines. 

So, since the publishers were gearing for that deadline, we can assume that they were working from their ends to achieve it as well as GRRM. My question is do we know of the cover they were planning to use? Who made it?

It was created by a fan named FeroxDeoVacuusVinco in 2012 (he's also done one for A Dream of Spring, but it's pants in comparison). I think GRRM got confused at one time and thought it was an working actual working cover.

My understanding is that the final cover for the book will be different, and that during the 2015/16 "optimism," stage they never got to the point of seriously thinking about cover art.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

It was created by a fan named FeroxDeoVacuusVinco in 2012 (he's also done one for A Dream of Spring, but it's pants in comparison). I think GRRM got confused at one time and thought it was an working actual working cover.

My understanding is that the final cover for the book will be different, and that during the 2015/16 "optimism," stage they never got to the point of seriously thinking about cover art.

Doesn't it take months to create a cover? I thought they had one then!

53 minutes ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

Doesn't it take months to create a cover? I thought they had one then!

Normally, but the ASoIaF covers are pretty simple and they'll simply throw money at the artist to get them done in time.

It's also possible that they might already have a redesigned cover standing by, but they haven't revealed it yet because people will get the wrong idea. I'm not sure when they redesigned the ADWD cover (they had two placeholder ones for years beforehand), as they only showed it about 2 months before release, but it could have been on standby for a long time before then.

Haven't been on this site for a long long time. 

I've always kind of assumed that there will never be another book published, unless another writer gets permission to become involved. After all these years, is there any genuine reason to believe that it'll happen? Or is it still the "probably next year" thing that's been happening for about seven years now?

2 hours ago, Wagshell said:

Haven't been on this site for a long long time. 

I've always kind of assumed that there will never be another book published, unless another writer gets permission to become involved. After all these years, is there any genuine reason to believe that it'll happen? Or is it still the "probably next year" thing that's been happening for about seven years now?

He made a couple of updates this summer. He talked about chapters he wrote, and his progress.

57 minutes ago, AlienCarnivore said:

Based off his latest blog post, I think we have confirmation Melisandre will be POV at the Wall while Jon is dead and possibly after he comes back. Nothing to get too hyped about, but he was very descriptive about his writing process in this post. 

Yes, this seems like another optimistic post.  (although George calls it "contemplative").  It's nice to read his blog and see that he is in a pretty good mood even when talking about writing Winds.  It's a little disorienting (but great) to not read self-flagellating posts like his new-years 2016 one.  At the very least George seems happier as a person.

1 hour ago, AlienCarnivore said:

Based off his latest blog post, I think we have confirmation Melisandre will be POV at the Wall while Jon is dead and possibly after he comes back. Nothing to get too hyped about, but he was very descriptive about his writing process in this post. 

I think the update is very exciting insofar as TWOW is concerned.   GRRM seems to be in a weird headspace, but aren't we all now?   I am hoping we can extrapolate that he has worked on as many as 8 chapters since he began giving named chapter progress reports this year.  All I am willing to pinpoint is that Arya still seems to be in Braavos.   No mention of Bran at all is concerning.

I mean, "shortly" as in starting about 20 months out from completing it, sure. That's why I'm calling a 2022 publication right now (although 2021 would be great and I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

7 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Not to get my hopes up too much, but didn't GRRM make a lot of similar posts shortly before finishing ADWD?

Not shortly before as in a couple of months... more like a year or more iirc. :dunno:

ETA: oopsie, should have read the other posts before posting. 

Archived