TWOW in 2021 seems ever more likely

8 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

20 months it is, then. You're officially on notice. :P

Ha. Based purely on the precedent from ADWD. He went from saying AFFC was still months or years away to saying "it's done!" and releasing it five months later. So who knows.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Ha. Based purely on the precedent from ADWD. He went from saying AFFC was still months or years away to saying "it's done!" and releasing it five months later. So who knows.

Yes, but that's because he suddenly realized that ADWD was way too large for just one book, so he decided to split it in two. Who knows, maybe he will do it again this time, but he said he was resisting that notion. However we might get TWOW in two books released at the same time, or very close to each other, fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

Yes, but that's because he suddenly realized that ADWD was way too large for just one book, so he decided to split it in two. Who knows, maybe he will do it again this time, but he said he was resisting that notion. However we might get TWOW in two books released at the same time, or very close to each other, fingers crossed.

I mean, he has to deliver something sooner or later, right? 

5 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

I thought AFFC was the book he split into two, since he realized it was too long. With 2/3's of ADWD consisting of the other half of AFFC, but GRRM realized he had too much content and didn't have room for the two battles he had planned for the end of the book. Which is why both books end right before both major battles were about begin. That's my take on things anyway.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I mean, he has to deliver something sooner or later, right? 

Yes but he said he had lost all his momentum when he went on his ADWD promo tour, which made him lose a lot of time. And then there is the speculation that he scrapped much if not all of TWOW after his 2016 blog post, and started from scratch.  To me he only restarted writing new material when he went into his cabin last year. Since then we have had a few encouraging updates , especially since June (regular chapter progress updates).

But Brynden BFish did a very encouraging post on Reddit in which he does a list of every TWOW chapter that we've ever heard of. Pretty encouraging, considering that GRRM doesn't tell us everything about his progress...

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/hvtrv8/spoilers_extended_a_list_of_every_confirmed_and/

Also, it is now about the third time (not sure, maybe more) that he says he is writing everyday, and reports having made progress this year. So we might just be looking at better days ahead of us...

32 minutes ago, Ran said:

Ah, no, that would be an error on my part. Heh. Thanks for noting it.

I'd also add that this claim on your part

That said, they do break up into four distinct geographical areas in which different narratives are taking place: Castle Black/the Wall, Oldtown, Slaver’s Bay, and Braavos.

We have no clue that Melisandre, Samwell, and Victarion are still at those places in the chapters that has been writing recently. Arya may be still in Braavos in the chapter he has been writing, though.

Great to know chances are not that bad that Vic is going to survive those horn blows. I always thought he might bite the dust there ... but then, I so very much enjoyed his chapters in ADwD. Would be sad if he would never get sail fly above the Dothraki Sea.

25 minutes ago, sifth said:

So did GRRM's new post basically confirm that Sam would be a POV character in the new book? I'm not sure if that was confirmed before that post.

Explicitly, I guess. But we have known for a long time that TWoW is to bring back all POVs together again (with the exception of dead ones like Catelyn Stark and, perhaps, Jon Snow), so it was implicitly clear for a long time. I mean, we last met Sam fifteen years ago, so it was always a given that he must get chapters in TWoW.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Explicitly, I guess. But we have known for a long time that TWoW is to bring back all POVs together again (with the exception of dead ones like Catelyn Stark and, perhaps, Jon Snow), so it was implicitly clear for a long time. I mean, we last met Sam fifteen years ago, so it was always a given that he must get chapters in TWoW.

if i Remember correctly, GRRM has decided once someone is king, he or she cannot really be POV character anymore. 

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/08/15/back-in-westeros/

I wonder if it is the same for other writers?   Or is it just me?   I wonder if I will ever figure out the secret of having a life and writing a book at the very same time.

I certainly have not figured it out to date.

Awww this is sad. I hope you know you are doing good work George. Not everyone knows, but I know: its not easy writing ASOIAF and you can't ask for writing-assistance from your minions without spilling secrets. So of course its tougher when you don't have real help. But it will be worth it in the end and for your legacy.

And if you are reading this and if they were intentional, I got your secret messages in this post and the other ones. And yes, I already knew, thanks for trying to help. I hope one day the TWOW Prologue will get the standalone movie deal it deserves. And Eminem is a great choice for a song of the chapter. I hope that won't offend Cancel Culture by picking a white rapper ... but I know you got MC Hammer with fAegon later! :spank:

For the nonce, it is what it is.   My life is at home, on hold, and I am spending the days in Westeros with my pals Mel and Sam and Vic and  Ty.    And that girl with no name, over there in Braavos.

Mel - Yes, we can finally get a quick resolution to the Pink Letter mystery!
Sam - Alright, Sam the Savior chapters!
Not sure what you are going to do with Vic and Ty ... guess I gotta wait.

"And that girl with no name, over there in Braavos" ... Arya? Or a new character? :)

1 hour ago, lysmonger said:

if i Remember correctly, GRRM has decided once someone is king, he or she cannot really be POV character anymore. 

Then it is rather odd that Dany didn't stop to be a POV when she started to be a queen.

Originally, George didn't want any kings to be POVs, causing him to invent Cressen and Davos as POVs for Stannis, and using Bran and Cat to cover Robb, etc. But we can expect if any of the longstanding POVs become kings and queens that they remain POVs, just as they would if they become homeless nobodies on the street.

What George has gone on record is saying that dead and resurrected characters are not going to be POVs, meaning Cat is never going to come back as a POV despite the fact that Lady Stoneheart technically could be a POV, and that subsequently Jon Snow might suffer a similar fate as a POV if he was indeed killed and is going to be resurrected. This could also help answer the question why the hell Melisandre was introduced as a POV in the first place. There was literally no need for that back in ADwD and her single chapter there could easily enough have been another Jon chapter.

2 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/08/15/back-in-westeros/

Awww this is sad. I hope you know you are doing good work George. Not everyone knows, but I know: its not easy writing ASOIAF and you can't ask for writing-assistance from your minions without spilling secrets. So of course its tougher when you don't have real help. But it will be worth it in the end and for your legacy.

And if you are reading this and if they were intentional, I got your secret messages in this post and the other ones. And yes, I already knew, thanks for trying to help. I hope one day the TWOW Prologue will get the standalone movie deal it deserves. And Eminem is a great choice for a song of the chapter. I hope that won't offend Cancel Culture by picking a white rapper ... but I know you got MC Hammer with fAegon later! :spank:

Mel - Yes, we can finally get a quick resolution to the Pink Letter mystery!
Sam - Alright, Sam the Savior chapters!
Not sure what you are going to do with Vic and Ty ... guess I gotta wait.

"And that girl with no name, over there in Braavos" ... Arya? Or a new character? :)

So is GRRM now working on the beginning of the book? I'm assuming he's making references to what he's working on? He could be hinting what povs beginning at the book.

Did he mention that the winds of winter has another Merenese knot he is trying to get around?

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Then it is rather odd that Dany didn't stop to be a POV when she started to be a queen.

Originally, George didn't want any kings to be POVs, causing him to invent Cressen and Davos as POVs for Stannis, and using Bran and Cat to cover Robb, etc. But we can expect if any of the longstanding POVs become kings and queens that they remain POVs, just as they would if they become homeless nobodies on the street.

What George has gone on record is saying that dead and resurrected characters are not going to be POVs, meaning Cat is never going to come back as a POV despite the fact that Lady Stoneheart technically could be a POV, and that subsequently Jon Snow might suffer a similar fate as a POV if he was indeed killed and is going to be resurrected. This could also help answer the question why the hell Melisandre was introduced as a POV in the first place. There was literally no need for that back in ADwD and her single chapter there could easily enough have been another Jon chapter.

Jeez writing Mel's chapters will be interesting, hair pulling convoluted chapters where he will go to great lengths not to explain any magic and then use massive amounts of portents and vague hints on what s actually going on.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Great to know chances are not that bad that Vic is going to survive those horn blows. I always thought he might bite the dust there ... but then, I so very much enjoyed his chapters in ADwD. Would be sad if he would never get sail fly above the Dothraki Sea.

George doesn't write in order though, so how far into TWOW Victarian gets to live is still up in the air (see what I did there?).

On 8/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, Werthead said:

I mean, "shortly" as in starting about 20 months out from completing it, sure. That's why I'm calling a 2022 publication right now (although 2021 would be great and I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

I pray to the 7 that you are right. 

5 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

George doesn't write in order though, so how far into TWOW Victarian gets to live is still up in the air (see what I did there?).

Personnally, I don't see him having more than 3-4 chapters. We know he has the sample chapter GRRM read, and I believe he'll have one or two more battle chapter(s) and then one last chapter in which he dies consumed by dragonfire on the deck of his Iron Victory after the dragons go crazy due to the Hellhorn being blown. Only my opinion though...

Otherwise great joke lmao

Archived