TWOW in 2021 seems ever more likely

On 9/16/2020 at 10:10 AM, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

I'll be completely fair. I can wait for the books to be completed. If I want to I can re-read the old and supporting books and get some satisfaction from them. I rather have GRRM take 5 years extra and provide a solid book where the main storylines are mostly without errors and slowly but surely converging and climaxing, then read it now and see a half-baked, incoherent story with tons of plotholes.

I agree with that, on principle. I also think that it's a good thing that there is a gap between book releases, as it gives us time for our amazing discussions, without which I wouldn't be here. But it is also true that GRRM doesn't have all the time in the world to finish the books. So something has to give.  

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help but think that we got too excited by these frequent updates, so now GRRM doesn't update us anymore. People got way too excited and immediately thought Winds was going to be announced soon just based on the fact that he mentioned progress on the writing three times in three months, and it frustrated him. 

On 10/10/2020 at 12:08 AM, The Winged Griffin said:

I can't help but think that we got too excited by these frequent updates, so now GRRM doesn't update us anymore. People got way too excited and immediately thought Winds was going to be announced soon just based on the fact that he mentioned progress on the writing three times in three months, and it frustrated him. 

Well, he says he doesn't read fan speculation. So either he stopped blogging about writing WoW and is now back to blogging about football because 1) he hit a roadblock and lost all his momentum, or 2) he's writing POV characters that he wants to keep really close to the chest, or 3) both.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, Ser Lemon of House Gate said:

Well, he says he doesn't read fan speculation. So either he stopped blogging about writing WoW and is now back to blogging about football because 1) he hit a roadblock and lost all his momentum, or 2) he's writing POV characters that he wants to keep really close to the chest, or 3) both.

Yeah but at some point I think there were even (worthless) newspaper articles written, and he'd have to be really very well isolated in order to be able to avoid everything that was said about him and his book lately. But I really hope he's not in situation 1) right now that would be so frustrating for everyone, him most of all given that he's been struggling with the same problems for nearly a decade.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:08 AM, The Winged Griffin said:

If forced isolation can't speed up his writing, then nothing can.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I suspect that he has so much material that he just can't figure out what needs to stay and what needs to go. That, and he can't resist writing more new stuff to try to help piece it all together... and keeps running into the same problem.

I agree that there could be a lot and editing now is the problem and rearranging chapters.

On 10/20/2020 at 9:25 PM, Travis said:

I suspect that he has so much material that he just can't figure out what needs to stay and what needs to go. That, and he can't resist writing more new stuff to try to help piece it all together... and keeps running into the same problem.

I know that he doesn't want to split it like he did with AFFC/ADWD, but at this point I would prefer that over nothing.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I know that he doesn't want to split it like he did with AFFC/ADWD, but at this point I would prefer that over nothing.

At this point I would like an "open story" where he just publishes books which he thinks are "worthy" and keeps writing,... and writing and maybe or not get to a point. Even if that would mean a never ending story.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess it was the 1) scenario then... *sigh* Poor old George...

On 10/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, Ser Lemon of House Gate said:

From the blog post:

I suffered a gut punch in early August that really had me down for a time, and another, for different reasons, in early September.   But I slogged on, and of late I am picking up steam again.

13 hours ago, Ser Lemon of House Gate said:

Guess it was the 1) scenario then... *sigh* Poor old George...

I don't know if gut punches can be qualified as " writer's block", maybe he did have many ideas, but he didn't have the heart to put them on paper due to these gut punches he mentions...

And we have a kind of confirmation that he was also revising older chapters back in July and August, when he mentioned visiting many (many) different PoVs , such as Melisandre, Victarion, Asha, Cersei, Tyrion, Areoh, Sam,... All in the span of just 3-4 months. Maybe that means he has (at least partly) finished their stories and he's doing a final round of editing before finishing the other storylines ? 

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but it feels like TWOW in 2021 does seem ever likely...

2 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

I don't know if gut punches can be qualified as " writer's block", maybe he did have many ideas, but he didn't have the heart to put them on paper due to these gut punches he mentions...

He's reached the age where friends and family start to succumb to illness  I have some sympathy for the number of people he has lost and the grief that comes with it.  I can be patient a while longer..  

No idea what these gut punches were, but otherwise, it sounds pretty bad.  He's still rewriting and rewriting and reorganizing....thus, it sounds like he's still in whatever rut he has been in for years....he had a couple of good months...but now he's back in the same old rut.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

He's reached the age where friends and family start to succumb to illness  I have some sympathy for the number of people he has lost and the grief that comes with it.  I can be patient a while longer..  

4 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

I don't know if gut punches can be qualified as " writer's block"

No, of course, we all feel sorry for him for the bad things that happen to him. All I'm saying is, we were wondering if the silence on his blog about writing TWOW in august-november after the kind of unexpected and frequent postings about it in july (after years of silence on the matter) was due to him just not wanting to jinx it by talking too much about the writing process, or him having actually stopped writing. Now we know the answer, and it wasn't the one we were hoping for. (Even if it wasn't writer's block per se.)

But hey, he also says he's picking up steam again, so there's the silver lining... 

4 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but it feels like TWOW in 2021 does seem ever likely...

Let's put it this way: It's definitely too early to completely rule out a 2021 release...

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

No idea what these gut punches were, but otherwise, it sounds pretty bad.  He's still rewriting and rewriting and reorganizing....thus, it sounds like he's still in whatever rut he has been in for years....he had a couple of good months...but now he's back in the same old rut.

Every year another excuse. At this point he is nothing but a meme.

48 minutes ago, Dalinar said:

Every year another excuse. At this point he is nothing but a meme.

He's his own worst enemy.  He should never have let himself miss the deadline in 2015.  Once that happened, there are now so many layers of motivations....he wants his version to be better than the show, he wants to right the wrongs of the show in terms of bad plotting, he now has more pressure than ever that Winds has to be fantastic to justify all the years and failing to fulfill his promise of never letting the show outpace him, and then finally, there is the massive negative reaction to the ending, which despite what the dreamers want to believe, is from George.

I've gone back and forth on whether he will finish Winds...I'd say I'm back down now to 50/50.  He's clearly missing yet another holiday shopping season...and the talk of rewriting and reorganizing is B.A.D. news. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

I'm just wondering why he needs to tweak old chapters. Do they really need it? Was there something wrong with them when first written?

Nah. Just that several fans don't like how certain POVs are going in TWoW. Me included. But I don't want GRRM changing his original idea for popular opinion. 

Archived