TWOW in 2021 seems ever more likely

On 9/19/2020 at 7:44 AM, ShimShim said:

In my fantasy land GRRM will live long enough to finish the series, give us the second part of Fire and Blood, and more Dunk and Egg stories.......Its a very unlikely fantasy, but I want to believe in it.

Hope, Empires are built on hope. 

Star wars 

10 hours ago, M.Alhazred said:

As I have said: We will get Winds and then find out that Dream has been abandoned and we will get a summary in a new edition of World.

What do you mean abandoned. You think GRRM just gonna come out and say he ain't working on Dream.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:49 AM, M.Alhazred said:

As I have said: We will get Winds and then find out that Dream has been abandoned and we will get a summary in a new edition of World.

Definitely not. George has said multiple times that he would write Dream. And if he had decided to abandon ADOS, what would be the point of writing Winds? I think abandoning Dream but writing Winds nonetheless makes absolutely no sense. And if he decides to abandon the books, he would tell us immediately. Which means that for the time being, he still means to proceed with writing Dream after Winds. However your scenario isn't all that unlikely because Dream might probably not be finished anyway, regardless of wether he abandons it or not.  

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, $erPounce said:

I don't know about the habits of George R. R. Martin, but can we expect an update on the progress The Winds of Winter in the second half of December through his NotABlog site?

When he posted the update last november, I first thought "we'll have one more update before 2021". But now, given that he's lost quite a few friends in the span of less than a month, I'm not so sure. He hasn't posted anything for a week now, and he wrote only 4  posts in almost 3 weeks. He probably doesn't have the heart to do it, which I perfectly understand. It must be hard for him at the moment. 

8 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

When he posted the update last november, I first thought "we'll have one more update before 2021". But now, given that he's lost quite a few friends in the span of less than a month, I'm not so sure. He hasn't posted anything for a week now, and he wrote only 4  posts in almost 3 weeks. He probably doesn't have the heart to do it, which I perfectly understand. It must be hard for him at the moment. 

Yeah, more and more of his posts have been of a solemn note, which is understandable considering everything happening in the world now. 

I am 100% certain the show getting past the books was the point his motivation to finish the series went down the drain, he has said that a lot of the reveals being shown onscreen instead of in the books (Hold the door, r+l=j) have depressed him, I think that affected him a lot more then he let on. 2015-16ish was when the writing process spiraled out of control, which is why we have been waiting around a decade with no substantial news

17 hours ago, Muffin King said:

I am 100% certain the show getting past the books was the point his motivation to finish the series went down the drain, he has said that a lot of the reveals being shown onscreen instead of in the books (Hold the door, r+l=j) have depressed him, I think that affected him a lot more then he let on. 2015-16ish was when the writing process spiraled out of control, which is why we have been waiting around a decade with no substantial news

I wrote a post on reddit listing every reference and allusion to TWOW on NaB since before 2011 not that long ago and the main thing I personnally concluded was that he only started giving actual and useful info on his progress since last April. Before that, he just said "it'll be done when it's done" or "still working on it" but these last few updates are the only ones in which he tells us who he's been working on recently, gives a chapter progress count, etc... The next best thing we could possibly hope for is a page count (but that's never going to happen unfortunately). The only time he's given that level of information on TWOW was perhaps in his 2016 New Year post. His most recent update is of a level with the ADWD updates he made around 2010. So I think it's a little bit exaggerated to say that we have had no substantial news in ten years .

On 12/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, Muffin King said:

Yeah, more and more of his posts have been of a solemn note, which is understandable considering everything happening in the world now. 

I've started to think that the problem with TWOW isn't that GRRM can't finish it, but rather that he just isn't satisfied with it. I get the impression that George is a bit of a perfectionist, and if that's the case, then the show having gotten so big probably messed with his head quite a bit. 

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I've started to think that the problem with TWOW isn't that GRRM can't finish it, but rather that he just isn't satisfied with it. I get the impression that George is a bit of a perfectionist, and if that's the case, then the show having gotten so big probably messed with his head quite a bit. 

I think there's truth in that.  WRT Dance, I never really saw why the Meereenese Knot should have been such a big issue, but plainly it was to Martin, and no doubt there are similar issues with this one. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I think there's truth in that.  WRT Dance, I never really saw why the Meereenese Knot should have been such a big issue, but plainly it was to Martin, and no doubt there are similar issues with this one. 

I'm curious as to how the backlash to the show is affecting George's approach to the rest of the books. Does he find it spirit-crushing, or is it encouraging since the books are going to diverge so much, even if the conclusion is similar?

30 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm curious as to how the backlash to the show is affecting George's approach to the rest of the books. Does he find it spirit-crushing, or is it encouraging since the books are going to diverge so much, even if the conclusion is similar?

I would guess it is closer to spirit crushing, since it has now been a year and a half since the show wrapped and Winds doesn't seem much closer to completion than it did in 2015.  It seems like he had a rally at the beginning of the lock down, but it feels like that has dissipated now. 

Archived