20Q

a free shadow

Good morning.  How's progress?

Shadow's hints kept my mind whirling last night.  Some seem to point me to Hightower (path is lighted, house on fire, air, magic), but it doesn't make any sense with the geography issues.  I'm a bit stumped, but hopefully some caffeine will help.

Okay, I had the phantom turtle, but the duck sauce confused me for a bit.

Could it be Xaro Xhoan Daxos?  I will wait for consensus from the other players before making it an official guess.

well this is where my mind is floating based more on the hints than the replies to questions. i can't remember how I got here. Or why. Have not yet looked at the turtle and duck. 

Maybe Volantis is the place (can't remember what the place is - location of character?) (its closest to Narth)

Volantis a big centre of Fire God 

Benerro writing glyphs in fire in the air (magic in the air)

Moquorro sent by Benerro

males in a chapter in Volantis - Tyrion, Jorah in one and Quentyn, Gerris and Arch in another

Victarion has picked Moqorro up and got a charred arm from him

people who have seen Benerro - Tyrion, Jorah

Tyrion & Jorah received advice from the widow of the waterfront to take the perfumed seneschal. Jorah presenting Tyrion as his slave but the widow knows who he is

Quentyn, Arch & Gerris were also in Volantis looking for passage to meereen This chapter is called the Merchants man and Quentyn is playing a servant to Gerris who is masquerading as a wine merchant

I was thinking AA could be relevant. Stannis takes on the identity of AA at one point after Melisandre convinces him. That's when he starts flashing Lightbringer around. 

Lord Sunglass has fled to Volantis after his brother Guncer was burnt by Melisandre and we have not heard anything of him. This seems like a dead end.

Well I give up on this I am going to look at Ducks and Turtles.

2 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

Okay, I had the phantom turtle, but the duck sauce confused me for a bit.

Could it be Xaro Xhoan Daxos?  I will wait for consensus from the other players before making it an official guess.

why Xaro? what turtle? what's happening?

The Rhoynish worship a turtle. the Duck could be Rolly Duckfield. Rolly is not highborn. He meets Tyrion in Essos. No exchange of identity occurs.

2 minutes ago, Castellan said:

why Xaro? what turtle? what's happening?

A Clash of Kings

Following the destruction of the House of the Undying, Xaro Xhoan Daxos reports that phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between the windowless houses of Warlock's Way

The duck sauce could be a play on Daxos.

4 minutes ago, Jez Bell said:

A Clash of Kings

Following the destruction of the House of the Undying, Xaro Xhoan Daxos reports that phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between the windowless houses of Warlock's Way

The duck sauce could be a play on Daxos.

OK I vote to guess Xaro because I like the Daxos idea very much although nothing else makes any sense to me.

17 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Duck sauce fits Daxos based on pronunciation. But I don't remember turtles associated with him.

I seem to have forgotten a lot from the books.

Here's the whole passage.  Xaro seems to fit some of the hints (house on fire, candles lighting the way, stranger things have happened, air/magic, lucky 13...)  The westeros angle is where I'm still confused.

Spoiler

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys V

Dany had laughed when he told her. "Was it not you who told me warlocks were no more than old soldiers, vainly boasting of forgotten deeds and lost prowess?"
Xaro looked troubled. "And so it was, then. But now? I am less certain. It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years. Ghost grass grows in the Garden of Gehane, phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between the windowless houses on Warlock's Way, and all the rats in the city are chewing off their tails. The wife of Mathos Mallarawan, who once mocked a warlock's drab moth-eaten robe, has gone mad and will wear no clothes at all. Even fresh-washed silks make her feel as though a thousand insects were crawling on her skin. And Blind Sybassion the Eater of Eyes can see again, or so his slaves do swear. A man must wonder." He sighed. "These are strange times in Qarth. And strange times are bad for trade. It grieves me to say so, yet it might be best if you left Qarth entirely, and sooner rather than later." Xaro stroked her fingers reassuringly. "You need not go alone, though. You have seen dark visions in the Palace of Dust, but Xaro has dreamed brighter dreams. I see you happily abed, with our child at your breast. Sail with me around the Jade Sea, and we can yet make it so! It is not too late. Give me a son, my sweet song of joy!"

That's not 'another identity', that's a designation. He is still the same person. Plus, when does he replace/is replaced by a person from Westeros who crossed the Narrow Sea?

You're not reading all the answers we were given, and are focusing on the hints instead.

Archived