20Q

a free shadow

18 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I think those hints definitely point at Xaro. I wonder if the answer is Xaro or if Xaro has the answer. I don't mind asking Shadow to find out.

I think maybe Xaro points to the answer, but I have no other ideas for now.  

Is there a clever question we can ask to help narrow it?

26 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

I already made it my official guess. :|

It has not been answered, you impudent creature! 

I say just guess Jez and we will assume if its not him he must still be involved. Perhaps we ill get another hint.

2 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

I already guessed. Why do you want to make two people guess the same thing? Is it so they could steal my win? >.>

Yes, that's it.

5 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

Here's the whole passage.  Xaro seems to fit some of the hints (house on fire, candles lighting the way, stranger things have happened, air/magic, lucky 13...)  The westeros angle is where I'm still confused.

Reveal hidden contents

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys V

Dany had laughed when he told her. "Was it not you who told me warlocks were no more than old soldiers, vainly boasting of forgotten deeds and lost prowess?"
Xaro looked troubled. "And so it was, then. But now? I am less certain. It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years. Ghost grass grows in the Garden of Gehane, phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between the windowless houses on Warlock's Way, and all the rats in the city are chewing off their tails. The wife of Mathos Mallarawan, who once mocked a warlock's drab moth-eaten robe, has gone mad and will wear no clothes at all. Even fresh-washed silks make her feel as though a thousand insects were crawling on her skin. And Blind Sybassion the Eater of Eyes can see again, or so his slaves do swear. A man must wonder." He sighed. "These are strange times in Qarth. And strange times are bad for trade. It grieves me to say so, yet it might be best if you left Qarth entirely, and sooner rather than later." Xaro stroked her fingers reassuringly. "You need not go alone, though. You have seen dark visions in the Palace of Dust, but Xaro has dreamed brighter dreams. I see you happily abed, with our child at your breast. Sail with me around the Jade Sea, and we can yet make it so! It is not too late. Give me a son, my sweet song of joy!"

Well, this seems like ... very clear, but waaaay to obscure for me. :lol: How can you remember things like that, that were only mentioned once in a list of other obscure and mysterious hints?

I still don't get how Xaro is connected to Westeros though. Is there a theory about that?

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, this seems like ... very clear, but waaaay to obscure for me. :lol: How can you remember things like that, that were only mentioned once in a list of other obscure and mysterious hints?

I still don't get how Xaro is connected to Westeros though. Is there a theory about that?

It's only partially memory.  My search skills have been honed by the acrophilia games.

I still can't find a theory about Xaro ever visiting Westeros, except that he is very mysterious and his wealth is never fully explained.  There are theories about him being part of the prophesy and some about him being the Harpy.  That's why I'm just not sure.

The only other reference I can find to turtles is Haldon (turtles crawling out his arse) and Hugor Hill (aka Tyrion).  Duck was involved and both were frequently sauced.  

9 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I wouldn't remember phantom turtles either, but if I wasn't lost in space might have used a search of ice and fire. I did just type duck and turtle into the wiki  - just got misleading things that could be slightly right.

There is a lot of stuff I have learned through playing games and rereading for them - more than from reading the books.

I actually wanted to go through the list of all the characters from Essos to see who fits, but there are just too many.

Turtles, to my memory, are just the sigil of house Estermont, but obviously that's not relevant here.

Archived