Minor characters you kinda like

Im not gonna lie. I kinda like hyle hunt. What he did to brienne was dirty but rereading his chapters he really isnt a bad guy at all pretty pleasant i think

Dick Crabb another of brienne's companions. This man had the blood of ol clarence crabb in him and genuinly grew on me.

Smalljon umber one of the finest kingsgaurd in the series. As arrows and crossbolts are being shot from above he on the spot does the one thing to protect his king by flipping over a trestle table and i believe killed men despite being injured

Dacey Mormont. I love someone who is comfortable in their own skin. This chick has it figured out.

Tristifer Botley the lovesick puppy dog is making all the right moves to get his queen. Asha's most loyal man

Obara sand who else stands up to hotah in such badass fashion? No one

Daemon Sand Red viper's squire personal shield to the heir to dorne and a good counselor as well

Only saw a little of him, but Sigorn looks like he could be a wildling who might just assimilate well.  Loved the wedding and his awkward dance.  Gads, could there be some tenderness in this most brutal of men?  Your comments about Tristifer just put Sigorn up front in my mind, like @Seamsmentioning Gatehouse Ami in your previous topic reminded me of Pia and the kindness Jamie shows her.   

Daemon Sand is another dude I give you props for.  

Both Tommen and Myrcella seem like really nice little kids despite their circumstances.  Tommen signing royal decrees and threatening to outlaw beets--how perfectly little boy is that? 

Really enjoyed Kevan Lannister maintaining a law and order rightness from beginning to end, but particularly enjoy the short time he ran things in KL.  He shut Cersei down, no doubt ashamed and humiliated at her actions and consequences, but he was not unkind to her at any point.   He really didn't take her crap ever.   A quiet sort of badass, really.  

Elaria Sand was a vocal advocate for peace despite her famous political lover's horrible public death.  That's quite a woman.  

Better cut it off there.  I could likely go on for days about many characters.   This is a good thing to get folks thinking about while we endure the long night until TWOW.  Good job, again! 

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Only saw a little of him, but Sigorn looks like he could be a wildling who might just assimilate well.  Loved the wedding and his awkward dance.  Gads, could there be some tenderness in this most brutal of men?  Your comments about Tristifer just put Sigorn up front in my mind, like @Seamsmentioning Gatehouse Ami in your previous topic reminded me of Pia and the kindness Jamie shows her.   

Daemon Sand is another dude I give you props for.  

Both Tommen and Myrcella seem like really nice little kids despite their circumstances.  Tommen signing royal decrees and threatening to outlaw beets--how perfectly little boy is that? 

Really enjoyed Kevan Lannister maintaining a law and order rightness from beginning to end, but particularly enjoy the short time he ran things in KL.  He shut Cersei down, no doubt ashamed and humiliated at her actions and consequences, but he was not unkind to her at any point.   He really didn't take her crap ever.   A quiet sort of badass, really.  

Elaria Sand was a vocal advocate for peace despite her famous political lover's horrible public death.  That's quite a woman.  

Better cut it off there.  I could likely go on for days about many characters.   This is a good thing to get folks thinking about while we endure the long night until TWOW.  Good job, again! 

My only knock on Kevin is that he let tywins daughter Take her Walk of atonement I'm quite sure tywin rolled over in his grave

Ellaria is proof of what oakheart said about women being the true strong ones. What a great mom/leader

Myrcella is a mix of the best traits of the three Lannister kids she has tyrion's cunning, cersei's Grace (but is genuine with it), and Jamie's predisposition to Greatness

1 hour ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

My only knock on Kevin is that he let tywins daughter Take her Walk of atonement I'm quite sure tywin rolled over in his grave

Ellaria is proof of what oakheart said about women being the true strong ones. What a great mom/leader

Myrcella is a mix of the best traits of the three Lannister kids she has tyrion's cunning, cersei's Grace (but is genuine with it), and Jamie's predisposition to Greatness

As a second son himself, with no real hope of ever ruling the Westerlands, I wonder if Kevan didn't appreciate the humility he may have hoped Cersei could have learned with her walk.  She brought it on herself and she did sexually use his much younger son, Lance, who ended up making accusations against her as part of his own atonement.  Kevan lost his heir as a direct result of Cersei's selfishness.  Cersei is and was a total Lannister family wrecking ball.  Wouldn't hurt Tywin to roll over in his grave a few times.  He did create this monster.  

Nimble Dick and the tales of Clarence Crabb are some of my favorite parts of the story.

Does Victarion count?  I understand if the POV chapters disqualify him, but it's not like he gets many.  I appreciate Victarion the way I do Cercei's chapters.  Not necessarily cheering for the guy, but I enjoy the insanity of his chapters.

3 hours ago, Jay21 said:

Nimble Dick and the tales of Clarence Crabb are some of my favorite parts of the story.

Does Victarion count?  I understand if the POV chapters disqualify him, but it's not like he gets many.  I appreciate Victarion the way I do Cercei's chapters.  Not necessarily cheering for the guy, but I enjoy the insanity of his chapters.

Throw the wounded to the sea. If they beg for mercy cut their throats. Victarion had nothing but contempt for those. Better to drown on seawater than blood. (Paraphrased)

For pure badassness you damn right victarion and his hands count. He's beat 4 men to death with those hands

I like Satin and Dolorous Edd. Former has some good interactions, while latter's comments are a riot.

I also like Sandor Clegane, as well as Davos Seaworth - though I am not sure Davos can count as a "minor" character.

Penrose has some banging lines, but I think my favorite minor character is Balon Swann. Ignoring his entire backstory I really appreciate how he reacted when put on the spot by Jaime. I don't think I'd pick "boss" over blood but I appreciate the statement and saying the awkward stance to Jaime.

His description as wary and whatnot in Dorne didn't hurt either

19 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

All excellent choices.   I don't know that I like Lysanno, but he sure is interesting.  

Thoros is one of my favorite Non-major characters. Such a great character, hysterical backstory everything. Lysanno was more for my curiosity, I think hes one of the most interesting players and we’ve barely seen him.

21 hours ago, Bloodraven’s Spider said:

Tytos Blackwood

Thank you. I appreciate the props. 
But seriously, for my list : Me (of course); and my good friend Jason Mallister as well. Okay, out of character, Bronze Yohn Royce who wanted to join Robb seems like someone I would have liked to have weilded more power. All of Dany's bloodriders I liked (Jhogo, Aggo, and Rhakaro) and wish they got more screen time. Hmmm, is Beric Dondarrion a "minor" character. He is probably my favorite (as well as Tytos Blackwood) if I had to choose just one character. Tytos, though, seriously, is a little bit of a badass, while being honorable, and is by far the most capable river lord throughout the storyline. Mya Stone is another character I liked. She was kind, yet firm and strong in every interaction I saw of her. Oh, Ser Rodrick Cassel. He was extremely loyal to the Starks and somewhat enjoyable to be around. I think someone above said Dick Crabb, and I would have to second that guy. Okay, I need to cut this off, lol, okay last one.....Missandei. Want to see more of her as perhaps an advisor as she ages? 

4 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Thank you. I appreciate the props. 
But seriously, for my list : Me (of course); and my good friend Jason Mallister as well. Okay, out of character, Bronze Yohn Royce who wanted to join Robb seems like someone I would have liked to have weilded more power. All of Dany's bloodriders I liked (Jhogo, Aggo, and Rhakaro) and wish they got more screen time. Hmmm, is Beric Dondarrion a "minor" character. He is probably my favorite (as well as Tytos Blackwood) if I had to choose just one character. Tytos, though, seriously, is a little bit of a badass, while being honorable, and is by far the most capable river lord throughout the storyline. Mya Stone is another character I liked. She was kind, yet firm and strong in every interaction I saw of her. Oh, Ser Rodrick Cassel. He was extremely loyal to the Starks and somewhat enjoyable to be around. I think someone above said Dick Crabb, and I would have to second that guy. Okay, I need to cut this off, lol, okay last one.....Missandei. Want to see more of her as perhaps an advisor as she ages? 

Great list. Rodrick Cassel's treatment of Catelyn is among the most chivilrous behavior demonstrated in the books.

Dick Crabb was just incredible. The mad had the blood of ol Ser clarence 

My favorite character is definitely Archmaester Marwyn. I'm convinced he's going to be really important, at least briefly, in the upcoming books. There's only been one chapter so far where we saw him, at the end of AFFC. But he was mentioned three times before that, by Mirri Maz Duur, Qyburn, and Roderick "the Reader" Harlaw. That's some serious foreshadowing there. And he's an interesting character: an intellectual, but also a man of action. I bet he and Oberyn Martell were buddies, back when Oberyn was studying at the Citadel.

And speaking of the Reader, he's another interesting one. The lone intellectual in a society of warriors.

Bowen Marsh - A good man kinda like Jon caught between his vows. The only difference between them is their prejudices and their past

Dolorous Edd - I love sarcasm and dark humor what can I say

Rolly Duck - Just seems like a fun character

Brown Ben Plumm - Yes his loyalty is non existent, but he's a nice guy and a pretty clever one too

I think that Lady Ravella Smallwood was awesome, kind to Arya and bold and witty. I really liked the glimpses we saw of Zei, the Moletown prostitute who is good with a crossbow, Morna White Mask, the Wilding chieftess-witch,  and Kojja Mo, the archer ship captain's daighter. 

Halder, the NW recruit turned builder.

AGoT, Jon IV.

Spoiler

It was soon revealed that the new recruit had brought his own armor with him; padded doublet, boiled leather, mail and plate and helm, even a great wood-and-leather shield blazoned with the same striding huntsman he wore on his surcoat. As none of it was black, however, Ser Alliser insisted that he reequip himself from the armory. That took half the morning. His girth required Donal Noye to take apart a mail hauberk and refit it with leather panels at the sides. To get a helm over his head the armorer had to detach the visor. His leathers bound so tightly around his legs and under his arms that he could scarcely move. Dressed for battle, the new boy looked like an overcooked sausage about to burst its skin. "Let us hope you are not as inept as you look," Ser Alliser said. "Halder, see what Ser Piggy can do."

Jon Snow winced. Halder had been born in a quarry and apprenticed as a stonemason. He was sixteen, tall and muscular, and his blows were as hard as any Jon had ever felt. "This will be uglier than a whore's ass," Pyp muttered, and it was.

The fight lasted less than a minute before the fat boy was on the ground, his whole body shaking as blood leaked through his shattered helm and between his pudgy fingers. "I yield," he shrilled. "No more, I yield, don't hit me." Rast and some of the other boys were laughing.

Even then, Ser Alliser would not call an end. "On your feet, Ser Piggy," he called. "Pick up your sword." When the boy continued to cling to the ground, Thorne gestured to Halder. "Hit him with the flat of your blade until he finds his feet." Halder delivered a tentative smack to his foe's upraised cheeks. "You can hit harder than that," Thorne taunted. Halder took hold of his longsword with both hands and brought it down so hard the blow split leather, even on the flat. The new boy screeched in pain.

Jon Snow took a step forward. Pyp laid a mailed hand on his arm. "Jon, no," the small boy whispered with an anxious glance at Ser Alliser Thorne.

"On your feet," Thorne repeated. The fat boy struggled to rise, slipped, and fell heavily again. "Ser Piggy is starting to grasp the notion," Ser Alliser observed. "Again."

Halder lifted the sword for another blow. "Cut us off a ham!" Rast urged, laughing.

Jon shook off Pyp's hand. "Halder, enough."

Halder looked to Ser Alliser.

"The Bastard speaks and the peasants tremble," the master-at-arms said in that sharp, cold voice of his. "I remind you that I am the master-at-arms here, Lord Snow."

"Look at him, Halder," Jon urged, ignoring Thorne as best he could. "There's no honor in beating a fallen foe. He yielded." He knelt beside the fat boy.

Halder lowered his sword. "He yielded," he echoed.

Ser Alliser's onyx eyes were fixed on Jon Snow. "It would seem our Bastard is in love," he said as Jon helped the fat boy to his feet. "Show me your steel, Lord Snow."

Jon drew his longsword. He dared defy Ser Alliser only to a point, and he feared he was well beyond it now.

Thorne smiled. "The Bastard wishes to defend his lady love, so we shall make an exercise of it. Rat, Pimple, help our Stone Head here." Rast and Albett moved to join Halder. "Three of you ought to be sufficient to make Lady Piggy squeal. All you need do is get past the Bastard."

"Stay behind me," Jon said to the fat boy. Ser Alliser had often sent two foes against him, but never three. He knew he would likely go to sleep bruised and bloody tonight. He braced himself for the assault.

Suddenly Pyp was beside him. "Three to two will make for better sport," the small boy said cheerfully. He dropped his visor and slid out his sword. Before Jon could even think to protest, Grenn had stepped up to make a third.

The yard had grown deathly quiet. Jon could feel Ser Alliser's eyes. "Why are you waiting?" he asked Rast and the others in a voice gone deceptively soft, but it was Jon who moved first. Halder barely got his sword up in time.

Jon drove him backward, attacking with every blow, keeping the older boy on the heels. Know your foe, Ser Rodrik had taught him once; Jon knew Halder, brutally strong but short of patience, with no taste for defense. Frustrate him, and he would leave himself open, as certain as sunset.

The clang of steel echoed through the yard as the others joined battle around him. Jon blocked a savage cut at his head, the shock of impact running up his arm as the swords crashed together. He slammed a sidestroke into Halder's ribs, and was rewarded with a muffled grunt of pain. The counterstroke caught Jon on the shoulder. Chainmail crunched, and pain flared up his neck, but for an instant Halder was unbalanced. Jon cut his left leg from under him, and he fell with a curse and a crash.

Grenn was standing his ground as Jon had taught him, giving Albett more than he cared for, but Pyp was hard-pressed. Rast had two years and forty pounds on him. Jon stepped up behind him and rang the raper's helm like a bell. As Rast went reeling, Pyp slid in under his guard, knocked him down, and leveled a blade at his throat. By then Jon had moved on. Facing two swords, Albett backed away. "I yield," he shouted.

Ser Alliser Thorne surveyed the scene with disgust. "The mummer's farce has gone on long enough for today." He walked away. The session was at an end.

Dareon helped Halder to his feet. The quarryman's son wrenched off his helm and threw it across the yard. "For an instant, I thought I finally had you, Snow."

"For an instant, you did," Jon replied. Under his mail and leather, his shoulder was throbbing. He sheathed his sword and tried to remove his helm, but when he raised his arm, the pain made him grit his teeth.

"Let me," a voice said. Thick-fingered hands unfastened helm from gorget and lifted it off gently. "Did he hurt you?"

"I've been bruised before." He touched his shoulder and winced. The yard was emptying around them.

Blood matted the fat boy's hair where Halder had split his helm asunder. "My name is Samwell Tarly, of Horn …" He stopped and licked his lips. "I mean, I was of Horn Hill, until I … left. I've come to take the black. My father is Lord Randyll, a bannerman to the Tyrells of Highgarden. I used to be his heir, only …" His voice trailed off.

"I'm Jon Snow, Ned Stark's bastard, of Winterfell."

Spoiler

The others were still in the common room when Jon returned, alone but for Ghost. "Where have you been?" Pyp asked.

"Talking with Sam," he said.

"He truly is craven," said Grenn. "At supper, there were still places on the bench when he got his pie, but he was too scared to come sit with us."

"The Lord of Ham thinks he's too good to eat with the likes of us," suggested Jeren.

"I saw him eat a pork pie," Toad said, smirking. "Do you think it was a brother?" He began to make oinking noises.

"Stop it!" Jon snapped angrily.

The other boys fell silent, taken aback by his sudden fury. "Listen to me," Jon said into the quiet, and he told them how it was going to be. Pyp backed him, as he'd known he would, but when Halder spoke up, it was a pleasant surprise. Grenn was anxious at the first, but Jon knew the words to move him. One by one the rest fell in line. Jon persuaded some, cajoled some, shamed the others, made threats where threats were required. At the end they had all agreed … all but Rast.

"You girls do as you please," Rast said, "but if Thorne sends me against Lady Piggy, I'm going to slice me off a rasher of bacon." He laughed in Jon's face and left them there.

Hours later, as the castle slept, three of them paid a call on his cell. Grenn held his arms while Pyp sat on his legs. Jon could hear Rast's rapid breathing as Ghost leapt onto his chest. The direwolf's eyes burned red as embers as his teeth nipped lightly at the soft skin of the boy's throat, just enough to draw blood. "Remember, we know where you sleep," Jon said softly.

The next morning Jon heard Rast tell Albett and Toad how his razor had slipped while he shaved.

From that day forth, neither Rast nor any of the others would hurt Samwell Tarly. When Ser Alliser matched them against him, they would stand their ground and swat aside his slow, clumsy strokes. If the master-at-arms screamed for an attack, they would dance in and tap Sam lightly on breastplate or helm or leg. Ser Alliser raged and threatened and called them all cravens and women and worse, yet Sam remained unhurt. A few nights later, at Jon's urging, he joined them for the evening meal, taking a place on the bench beside Halder. It was another fortnight before he found the nerve to join their talk, but in time he was laughing at Pyp's faces and teasing Grenn with the best of them.

Fat and awkward and frightened he might be, but Samwell Tarly was no fool. One night he visited Jon in his cell. "I don't know what you did," he said, "but I know you did it." He looked away shyly. "I've never had a friend before."

"We're not friends," Jon said. He put a hand on Sam's broad shoulder. "We're brothers."

And so they were, he thought to himself after Sam had taken his leave. Robb and Bran and Rickon were his father's sons, and he loved them still, yet Jon knew that he had never truly been one of them. Catelyn Stark had seen to that. The grey walls of Winterfell might still haunt his dreams, but Castle Black was his life now, and his brothers were Sam and Grenn and Halder and Pyp and the other cast-outs who wore the black of the Night's Watch.

"My uncle spoke truly," he whispered to Ghost. He wondered if he would ever see Benjen Stark again, to tell him.

Jon V.

Spoiler

Everyone laughed but Grenn. "I hope I'm a ranger."

"You and everyone else," said Matthar. Every man who wore the black walked the Wall, and every man was expected to take up steel in its defense, but the rangers were the true fighting heart of the Night's Watch. It was they who dared ride beyond the Wall, sweeping through the haunted forest and the icy mountain heights west of the Shadow Tower, fighting Wildlings and giants and monstrous snow bears.

"Not everyone," said Halder. "It's the builders for me. What use would rangers be if the Wall fell down?"

The order of builders provided the masons and carpenters to repair keeps and towers, the miners to dig tunnels and crush stone for roads and footpaths, the woodsmen to clear away new growth wherever the forest pressed too close to the Wall. Once, it was said, they had quarried immense blocks of ice from frozen lakes deep in the haunted forest, dragging them south on sledges so the Wall might be raised ever higher. Those days were centuries gone, however; now, it was all they could do to ride the Wall from Eastwatch to the Shadow Tower, watching for cracks or signs of melt and making what repairs they could.

"The Old Bear's no fool," Dareon observed. "You're certain to be a builder, and Jon's certain to be a ranger. He's the best sword and the best rider among us, and his uncle was the First before he …" His voice trailed off awkwardly as he realized what he had almost said.

"Benjen Stark is still First Ranger," Jon Snow told him, toying with his bowl of blueberries. The rest might have given up all hope of his uncle's safe return, but not him. He pushed away the berries, scarcely touched, and rose from the bench.

Jon VI.

Spoiler

"As you wish, boy," Mormont said. Sam took his seat again, as did Jon. "We have placed each of you in an order, as befits our need and your own strengths and skills." Bowen Marsh stepped forward and handed him a paper. The Lord Commander unrolled it and began to read. "Halder, to the builders," he began. Halder gave a stiff nod of approval. "Grenn, to the rangers. Albett, to the builders. Pypar, to the rangers," Pyp looked over at Jon and wiggled his ears. "Samwell, to the stewards," Sam sagged with relief, mopping at his brow with a scrap of silk. "Matthar, to the rangers. Dareon, to the stewards. Todder, to the rangers. Jon, to the stewards."

Jon VIII.

Spoiler

A half dozen of his friends were lurking outside when he left the King's Tower, where Lord Commander Mormont now made his residence. They'd hung a target on the granary doors, so they could seem to be honing their skills as archers, but he knew lurkers when he saw them. No sooner did he emerge than Pyp called out, "Well, come about, let's have a look."

"At what?" Jon said.

Toad sidled close. "Your rosy butt cheeks, what else?"

"The sword," Grenn stated. "We want to see the sword."

Jon raked them with an accusing look. "You knew."

Pyp grinned. "We're not all as dumb as Grenn."

"You are so," insisted Grenn. "You're dumber."

Halder gave an apologetic shrug. "I helped Pate carve the stone for the pommel," the builder said, "and your friend Sam bought the garnets in Mole's Town."

"We knew even before that, though," Grenn said. "Rudge has been helping Donal Noye in the forge. He was there when the Old Bear brought him the burnt blade."

"The sword!" Matt insisted. The others took up the chant. "The sword, the sword, the sword."

Jon unsheathed Longclaw and showed it to them, turning it this way and that so they could admire it. The bastard blade glittered in the pale sunlight, dark and deadly. "Valyrian steel," he declared solemnly, trying to sound as pleased and proud as he ought to have felt.

Jon IX.

Spoiler

Jon sat under the trees and ate his biscuit and cheese while his mare grazed along the kingsroad. He kept the apple for last. It had gone a little soft, but the flesh was still tart and juicy. He was down to the core when he heard the sounds: horses, and from the north. Quickly Jon leapt up and strode to his mare. Could he outrun them? No, they were too close, they'd hear him for a certainty, and if they were from Castle Black …

He led the mare off the road, behind a thick stand of grey-green sentinels. "Quiet now," he said in a hushed voice, crouching down to peer through the branches. If the gods were kind, the riders would pass by. Likely as not, they were only smallfolk from Mole's Town, farmers on their way to their fields, although what they were doing out in the middle of the night …

He listened to the sound of hooves growing steadily louder as they trotted briskly down the kingsroad. From the sound, there were five or six of them at the least. Their voices drifted through the trees.

"… certain he came this way?"

"We can't be certain."

"He could have ridden east, for all you know. Or left the road to cut through the woods. That's what I'd do."

"In the dark? Stupid. If you didn't fall off your horse and break your neck, you'd get lost and wind up back at the Wall when the sun came up."

"I would not." Grenn sounded peeved. "I'd just ride south, you can tell south by the stars."

"What if the sky was cloudy?" Pyp asked.

"Then I wouldn't go."

Another voice broke in. "You know where I'd be if it was me? I'd be in Mole's Town, digging for buried treasure." Toad's shrill laughter boomed through the trees. Jon's mare snorted.

"Keep quiet, all of you," Halder said. "I thought I heard something."

"Where? I didn't hear anything." The horses stopped.

"You can't hear yourself fart."

"I can too," Grenn insisted.

"Quiet!"

They all fell silent, listening. Jon found himself holding his breath. Sam, he thought. He hadn't gone to the Old Bear, but he hadn't gone to bed either, he'd woken the other boys. Damn them all. Come dawn, if they were not in their beds, they'd be named deserters too. What did they think they were doing?

The hushed silence seemed to stretch on and on. From where Jon crouched, he could see the legs of their horses through the branches. Finally Pyp spoke up. "What did you hear?"

"I don't know," Halder admitted. "A sound, I thought it might have been a horse but …"

"There's nothing here."

Out of the corner of his eye, Jon glimpsed a pale shape moving through the trees. Leaves rustled, and Ghost came bounding out of the shadows, so suddenly that Jon's mare started and gave a whinny. "There!" Halder shouted.

"I heard it too!"

"Traitor," Jon told the direwolf as he swung up into the saddle. He turned the mare's head to slide off through the trees, but they were on him before he had gone ten feet.

"Jon!" Pyp shouted after him.

"Pull up," Grenn said. "You can't outrun us all."

Jon wheeled around to face them, drawing his sword. "Get back. I don't wish to hurt you, but I will if I have to."

"One against seven?" Halder gave a signal. The boys spread out, surrounding him.

"What do you want with me?" Jon demanded.

"We want to take you back where you belong," Pyp said.

"I belong with my brother."

"We're your brothers now," Grenn said.

"They'll cut off your head if they catch you, you know," Toad put in with a nervous laugh. "This is so stupid, it's like something the Aurochs would do."

"I would not," Grenn said. "I'm no oathbreaker. I said the words and I meant them."

"So did I," Jon told them. "Don't you understand? They murdered my father. It's war, my brother Robb is fighting in the riverlands—"

"We know," said Pyp solemnly. "Sam told us everything."

"We're sorry about your father," Grenn said, "but it doesn't matter. Once you say the words, you can't leave, no matter what."

"I have to," Jon said fervently.

"You said the words," Pyp reminded him. "Now my watch begins, you said it. It shall not end until my death."

"I shall live and die at my post," Grenn added, nodding.

"You don't have to tell me the words, I know them as well as you do." He was angry now. Why couldn't they let him go in peace? They were only making it harder.

"I am the sword in the darkness," Halder intoned.

"The watcher on the walls," piped Toad.

Jon cursed them all to their faces. They took no notice. Pyp spurred his horse closer, reciting, "I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men."

"Stay back," Jon warned him, brandishing his sword. "I mean it, Pyp." They weren't even wearing armor, he could cut them to pieces if he had to.

Matthar had circled behind him. He joined the chorus. "I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch."

Jon kicked his mare, spinning her in a circle. The boys were all around him now, closing from every side.

"For this night . . .," Halder trotted in from the left.

". . . and all the nights to come," finished Pyp. He reached over for Jon's reins. "So here are your choices. Kill me, or come back with me."

Jon lifted his sword … and lowered it, helpless. "Damn you," he said. "Damn you all."

"Do we have to bind your hands, or will you give us your word you'll ride back peaceful?" asked Halder.

"I won't run, if that's what you mean." Ghost moved out from under the trees and Jon glared at him. "Small help you were," he said. The deep red eyes looked at him knowingly.

"We had best hurry," Pyp said. "If we're not back before first light, the Old Bear will have all our heads."

Of the ride back, Jon Snow remembered little. It seemed shorter than the journey south, perhaps because his mind was elsewhere. Pyp set the pace, galloping, walking, trotting, and then breaking into another gallop. Mole's Town came and went, the red lantern over the brothel long extinguished. They made good time. Dawn was still an hour off when Jon glimpsed the towers of Castle Black ahead of them, dark against the pale immensity of the Wall. It did not seem like home this time.

ASoS, Jon XII.

Spoiler

I thought I had forgotten that. Jon could taste blood in his mouth, from the blow he'd taken.

In the end, Halder and Horse had to pull him away from Iron Emmett, one man on either arm. The ranger sat on the ground dazed, his shield half in splinters, the visor of his helm knocked askew, and his sword six yards away. "Jon, enough," Halder was shouting, "he's down, you disarmed him. Enough!"

No. Not enough. Never enough. Jon let his sword drop. "I'm sorry," he muttered. "Emmett, are you hurt?"

ADwD, Jon III.

Spoiler

The armory was dark and silent. Jon nodded to the guards before making his way past the silent racks of spears to his rooms. He hung his sword belt from a peg beside the door and his cloak from another. When he peeled off his gloves, his hands were stiff and cold. It took him a long while to get the candles lit. Ghost curled up on his rug and went to sleep, but Jon could not rest yet. The scarred pinewood table was covered with maps of the Wall and the lands beyond, a roster of rangers, and a letter from the Shadow Tower written in Ser Denys Mallister's flowing hand.

He read the letter from the Shadow Tower again, sharpened a quill, and unstoppered a pot of thick black ink. He wrote two letters, the first to Ser Denys, the second to Cotter Pyke. Both of them had been hounding him for more men. Halder and Toad he dispatched west to the Shadow Tower, Grenn and Pyp to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. The ink would not flow properly, and all his words seemed curt and crude and clumsy, yet he persisted.

When he finally put the quill down, the room was dim and chilly, and he could feel its walls closing in. Perched above the window, the Old Bear's raven peered down at him with shrewd black eyes. My last friend, Jon thought ruefully. And I had best outlive you, or you'll eat my face as well. Ghost did not count. Ghost was closer than a friend. Ghost was part of him.

Raynald Westerling who died trying to free Grey Wind and Perwyn, Oliver and Alesander Frey who were considered risky to have a the wedding because of their loyalty to Robb. Especially Alesander, a half-Braavosi singer. 

I don't mind Hyle Hunt, I said this once in a thread, and someone replied that he was a douche! Well he has accepted his own mediocrity and the crappiness of the world, I think, throughly disillusioned from his Knights of Summer mindset, I think that's a good thing. And he is kind of persistent and hard to put down and sees Brienne's talent. When he is being hung he is desperately offering to kill Jaime for the BWB, I think that's kind of amusing.

Archived