Minor characters you kinda like

Archmaester Marwyn is my favorite character. He only appears in one chapter of one book; but he's mentioned three times before that, by Mirri Maz Duur, Qyburn, and Rodrik ("the Reader") Harlaw. Talk about foreshadowing! I expect him to do some important stuff in the next book. I just hope he doesn't get killed in the process, playing with fire...

And here's another vote for Rodrik too.

Not sure Bronn is minor but I have a soft spot for the honest asshole.

Dolorous Edd though some of what he says is downright creepy.

The Reader. Expect to see more of him.

Bowen Marsh. I don't like him but he is fascinating. Think characters like him who are bean-counter control-freaks who mentally can't handle their world and their place in it changing and then snapping are going to be big in TWOW and ADOS. Some Walls are more than literal.

Like Addam Marbrand too. No idea why.

Genna Lannister.

12 hours ago, Pontius Pilate said:

Ser Jared Frey

Ser Jared seemed amused, “Some men cry when slicing onions, but I have never had that weakness.  Steel whispered against leather as he drew his sword.  If you are indeed a knight, ser, defend that slander with your body.

Pity he died.  He could have been a charming antagonists to Wayman Manderly.  Here's hoping Ser Jared was able to get away and just waiting for the right moment to attack the Manderlys.  The way Jared called out Davos was epic.  It was nicely done. 

5 hours ago, Big P said:

Pity he died.  He could have been a charming antagonists to Wayman Manderly.  Here's hoping Ser Jared was able to get away and just waiting for the right moment to attack the Manderlys.  The way Jared called out Davos was epic.  It was nicely done. 

You were joking, right? Sorry, I find it hard to see anything admirable about Ser Jared. In this moment, he had drawn his sword to defend the absurd claim that Robb and his men changed into wolves at the Red Wedding and murdered Lord Manderly's son. At best he is a simpleton who believed that story, or a phony who speaks boldly when he knows others will stop him from having to act on his words. At worst, is baring steel during a parley, in defense of something he knows to be a lie.

Or am I missing something? (My usual disclaimer.)

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many...

Always Edmure Tully! The one non-shitty lord we have seen so far.

Tytos Blackwood, but I also like Hoster a lot (what little we have seen from him so far), Pia from Harrenhal and Hot Pie.

Addam Marbrand, Aunt Genna, Daven Lannister

Satin, Dolorous Edd (who doesn't like Edd?), Bowen Marsh (I like him just as I like Jon Snow; it is really a pity they got stuck in "failure to communicate", because every Lord Commander does - also - need some bean-counters), Alliser Thorne (a bitter arsehole, but dutiful)

Missandrai, Greyworm, the Shavepate. The Widow of the Waterfront. Archmaester Marwyn.

The Reader, Qarl the Maid and Tristifer Botley

And of course Pod. I must also admit, that I started to like Ser Hyle, maybe because he is someone who slowly realises that he was wrong and behaved like an arsehole.

Ellaria Sand (the one person with a working brain in Dorne) and Kojja Mo (love her speech to Sam)

Do the animals count? Because I would like to add Summer, the dragons (love how Viserion is the "nice" one, while Rhaegal is more of a short-tempered misfit) and Stranger - Oh, and Dog!

Archived