R + L = J v.167

Ygrain

Yeah I wouldn't use the show to confirmed that theory.
But there is this declaration:

“The internet affects all this to a degree it was never affected before,” Martin tells EW when asked about fan reaction to the final season. “Like Jon Snow’s parentage. There were early hints about [who Snow’s parents were] in the books, but only one reader in 100 put it together. And before the internet that was fine — for 99 readers out of 100 when Jon Snow’s parentage gets revealed it would be, ‘Oh, that’s a great twist!’ But in the age of the internet, even if only one person in 100 figures it out then that one person posts it online and the other 99 people read it and go, ‘Oh, that makes sense.’ Suddenly the twist you’re building towards is out there.”
https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/15/george-rr-martin-game-thrones-fan-reactions/

There aren't a lot of popular theory about Jon Snow's parentage that were popular before the show and we can see he already talk about that 17 years ago:

« Someone asked about R+L=J and if he would change the story because everyone seems to be on to that. I thought it was interesting that he didn't restate the part about Rheager/Lyanna when he repeated the question so everyone to hear. He restated it as, would you change something because people online have theories (ie to make them be wrong). And he asked how many people talked on internet boards and only a few people raised their hands, so he pointed out that theories that are rampant on the internet aren't known by everyone.
He also says he doesn't read the online posting boards so he doesn't see the theories unless someone emails it to him. »
https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2005/11

To me, Martin's declaration with EW in 2019 confirmed R+L=J.

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

That’s false.  R + L = J was a very popular theory before the show started.

That's what I was implying, R+L=J being the most popular theory about Jon Snow parentage means Martin was referring to that theory. :p

14 years before that interview he even said something similar when someone asked him about R+L=J

Someone asked about R+L=J and if he would change the story because everyone seems to be on to that. I thought it was interesting that he didn't restate the part about Rheager/Lyanna when he repeated the question so everyone to hear. He restated it as, would you change something because people online have theories (ie to make them be wrong). And he asked how many people talked on internet boards and only a few people raised their hands, so he pointed out that theories that are rampant on the internet aren't known by everyone.
He also says he doesn't read the online posting boards so he doesn't see the theories unless someone emails it to him.

3 hours ago, Magnar, P.I. said:

I don’t think only 1 in 100 readers came up with R+L=J, that can’t be right can it? I thought of it half way into my first reading of AGoT so I may be biased, but it all seems pretty standard Luke Skywalker stuff to me…

Not everyone found it by themselves. Also in 2005:

« Someone asked about R+L=J and if he would change the story because everyone seems to be on to that. I thought it was interesting that he didn't restate the part about Rheager/Lyanna when he repeated the question so everyone to hear. He restated it as, would you change something because people online have theories (ie to make them be wrong). And he asked how many people talked on internet boards and only a few people raised their hands, so he pointed out that theories that are rampant on the internet aren't known by everyone.
He also says he doesn't read the online posting boards so he doesn't see the theories unless someone emails it to him. »

On 1/14/2022 at 7:02 PM, TheBlackSwan said:

Not everyone found it by themselves. Also in 2005:

I know, all that’s been posted in this thread already, but the 1 in 100 seems like an exaggeration. Did “God” even say it or was just the poster paraphrasing? I skimmed through your link a couple times and didn’t find the RLJ stuff 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Magnar, P.I. said:

I don’t think only 1 in 100 readers came up with R+L=J, that can’t be right can it? I thought of it half way into my first reading of AGoT so I may be biased, but it all seems pretty standard Luke Skywalker stuff to me…

This has been a very, very popular theory for as long as I’ve skimmed this site and it’s predecessor.  And obviously GRRM knows that this theory is very popular and considered a done deal by most of his fans.  So popular in fact, GRRM’s own wife, Paris, apparently piped up in a convention that Rhaegar being Jon’s dad was too obvious for George.

30 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Yes. Yennefer of Vengerberg.

Cool, though I'm disappointed with the Netflix series for casting Anya Chalotra, nothing against her acting, just like how Tom Cruise ain't close to Jack Reacher, Anya seems to me to be token representation of racial inclusion. Sure, I loved Dev Patel as Gawain in TGK, hypocrite me, but 9 times out of 10 I prefer loyalty to original appearances from the text/game or whatever they adapt from. 

17 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Cool, though I'm disappointed with the Netflix series for casting Anya Chalotra, nothing against her acting, just like how Tom Cruise ain't close to Jack Reacher, Anya seems to me to be token representation of racial inclusion. Sure, I loved Dev Patel as Gawain in TGK, hypocrite me, but 9 times out of 10 I prefer loyalty to original appearances from the text/game or whatever they adapt from. 

I am disappointed because she supposed to look more mature she is almost 100 years old. For example Eva Green, my go to fancast for Ashara, would had been an excellent Yennefer.

4 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

I am disappointed because she supposed to look more mature she is almost 100 years old. For example Eva Green, my go to fancast for Ashara, would had been an excellent Yennefer.

Totally agreed, badass femme fetale who can also handle the chemistry... 

On 1/28/2022 at 12:12 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

:agree: better the Force than an inbred Targaryen.

Sacrilege! Incest is Wincest! 

Spoiler

jk, obviously. 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:46 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Yes. Yennefer of Vengerberg.

The author of The Witcher must be a Tolkien clone......soon he'll be having people like Ecthelion running around. Yennefer....*chuckles. 

My biggest issue with R+L=J is that Rhaegar kidnapping/eloping with Lyanna was the root cause for the rebellion. Later, Robert constantly laments that Rhaegar raped Lyanna a thousand times. Still, when Ned returns from the war with Lyanna's bones and a baby, neither Robert nor any of the people of Westeros have the idea that the baby might be Lyanna's son?

Jon Snow knows nothing. He's not alone.