Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear Accused by Alexandra Rowland

Ran

In the course of dealing with posts from someone who has been banned from the board (they created a second account to circumvent it), I ended up accidentally unleashing the board software on actually going through and deleting everything they had posted. Which unfortunately, led to the thread regarding the Lynch-Rowland-Bear situation being deleted in total, since they had started it. Unfortunately, the software is set to just outright removing everything rather than putting it in the Trash forum we have, so unfortunately all is lost. Very sorry about this.

I can't find a google cache of it, but in any case I will link the relevant source material:

The initial blog post from Alexandra Rowland

Scott Lynch's respone on Twitter

Elizabeth Bear's response on Twitter

There are other posts from a number of people both supporting and contradicting Rowland's account, which I can't all piece together ATM.

2 minutes ago, sologdin said:

the thread title takes sides in the dispute implicitly by placing rowland's name in the middle position between her alleged adversaries--or is that a dissociated interpretation?

I didn't think of it that way. I'll ponder a better title. Anyone still have the original thread open? I can use that title.

11 hours ago, Poobah said:

Thanks for the info Ran. Here are a couple of links to add to your OP maybe?

Think better to just share them when you find relevant commentary from people who say they are familiar with the events. Which reminds me of Devin Singer , another person who (like Martine) believs she was being alluded to by Rowland in their initial post.

Based on what I read, the way I see it:

Scott Lynch is a cheating asshole who wanted to bang a young woman while being married and get away with it. He was very dedicated too, since he continued to pursue the relationship after Rowland spilled the beans to his wife.

Alexandra Rowland was delighted by Scott's attention, though didn't want to be a mistress. But eventually got convinced by Scott to be one and was fully into it. But now she doesn't want to admit her responsibility and is claiming that she did all those things because she was 'groomed', despite being, even if stupid, but still a 25-years old adult. Her accusations that she was afraid that Scott would ruin her career if she didn't have a relationship with him don't sound true when she says how 'grooming fucks with her mind' later. She clearly wasn't afraid of him. And saying how she and Scott took their time convincing a clearly unwilling Bear for an open relationship and after they did, participated in one just to appease Bear is just silly. Rowland doesn't want to be called a homewrecker but in my mind she clearly was one, even if she doesn't want to admit it and blames it all on 'grooming'.

Elizabeth Bear might be toxic and vengeful but to me she is the closest to a victim in this story. At least I fully understand why would she hate Rowland. Scott Lynch also deserves her hatred but it seem like she just can't hate him.

11 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Dofs that's a fair read.  But it seems like there's more going on in the Bear-Lynch relationship according to a comment by Stego in the other thread. 

Well, it’s his opinion, anyways. I don’t know if I read it the same way. Who’s to say, really? It’s a private matter, IMO, and so far Bear and Lynch seem to be muddling along with their lives like most people do.

I'd posted this in the previous thread - Alexandra's Twitter bio states that their pronouns are they/them, so please do not use "she/her" etc to refer to them. This should be done irrespective of your take on this situation.

OK, so I've read a little more about this and unless Rowland's claims of this being a pattern and them not being the only one to experience this, I'm ready to write this off as pure drama that doesn't belong in the public forum. If something more substantial comes out, I can re-evaluate, but right now this just seems not any of my business.

There's a lot of people on twitter saying to Bear 'well why are you blaming Alex and not Scott' and it's like... apart from as has been covered it being a totally normal response to blame the outside party for an affair in a marriage, unfortunate but not suspicious- motherfuckers we have no idea what they said to each other in private. And whoever's telling the truth we know Lynch did wrong. She's talking about Rowland because Rowland is the one with accusations she feels she needs to respond to.

Anyway, Lynch has responded, both to the situation itself and to his fans.

But basically yeah the crux here really is if there's a pattern. If anyone else comes out of the woodwork then there's a problem, if not it's just personal drama and a series of mistakes made.

One note though is that Bear is a mentor at the SFWA (Lynch might be too not sure) and people are already demanding her resignation from that role, which is obviously necessary if it is a pattern but completely unfair if not.

7 minutes ago, Seli said:

D Franklin has been collecting threads ands statements in a thread. They seem as baffled as most people are by the whole situation.

https://twitter.com/D_Libris/status/1276499854139654145?s=20

The last entry on that list, from Kurt Pankau, is a sad contribution to all this. It provides an example of what Bear was telling Rowland in that mail Rowland quoted.

That blog post is not a good look for them. Again it doesn't prove there was no manipulation or exploitation on Lynch and Bear's part but the story about coming innocently into the circles of a known figure in a community (I'm assuming a bit there, but the way they refer to C/S suggests readers should be familiar with them) and getting conned into what they thought was a relationship within an open marriage but turned out not to be is a lot less believable when it happens twice in five years.

15 hours ago, Gertrude said:

OK, so I've read a little more about this and unless Rowland's claims of this being a pattern and them not being the only one to experience this, I'm ready to write this off as pure drama that doesn't belong in the public forum. If something more substantial comes out, I can re-evaluate, but right now this just seems not any of my business.

I agree, unless it's a pattern, it doesn't seem to be anything more than a love affair drama. And while Lynch's behaviour was terrible, that's not something that deserves such serious accusations like grooming or sexual assault, and really should have only been the matter of those involved and not the whole public. Well, Twitter is going to Twitter, I guess.

I'm totally burnt out on all this [all of it, not just the Lynch et co drama] and yet... And yet I keep scrolling Twitter and the News expecting to find out Myke Cole's been dumped by all of his publishers.

But nope.

Archived