Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear Accused by Alexandra Rowland

Ran

49 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

I am still mad at my single warning post.  Though it was at least spectacular, I think it took out an entire page of responses during the Requires Hate dustup!

Completely unrelated, I wonder what ever happened to Peterbound?

I am always grumpy about my warning point.  That’s what you get for making fun of Tony Romo though. :dunno: 

54 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

He was banned. Also, mention not the name of she who hates, lest her minions be summoned. 

Oh crud, I had no idea.  Though probably not shocked.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:30 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Finally, and this is what really gets me about all the stuff in the SFF community right now, Sykes, Bear, Lynch, etc, I'm sitting here as a gamer and realizing that both the VIDEO GAME COMMUNITY and the STREAMING COMMUNITY are going through similar issues and doing a 100 percent better job of it right now then we are.

Seeing how the dota fucking 2 community has handled this has been a huge trip. One of the most toxic communities of any game I've ever played in terms of actually playing the game, but a whole bunch of the prominent names have...not just said the right things but sounded like they've actually gotten it??? On the flip side, the big names I liked that I've seen anything about have all been in the "responding well" camp, and those that have been accused have been mostly the ones that don't surprise me, so that's...a nice change.

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Seeing how the dota fucking 2 community has handled this has been a huge trip. One of the most toxic communities of any game I've ever played in terms of actually playing the game, but a whole bunch of the prominent names have...not just said the right things but sounded like they've actually gotten it??? On the flip side, the big names I liked that I've seen anything about have all been in the "responding well" camp, and those that have been accused have been mostly the ones that don't surprise me, so that's...a nice change.

A friend of mine down in Canberra plays DOTA 2 a lot. Wasn't aware it had a toxic community (am not much for online gaming, personally). Am curious - if you have the spoons, I'd be curious to know more about their responses. 

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

A friend of mine down in Canberra plays DOTA 2 a lot. Wasn't aware it had a toxic community (am not much for online gaming, personally). Am curious - if you have the spoons, I'd be curious to know more about their responses. 

I may be being overly harsh to the current state of the community, I haven't tried to play properly in years because I got sick of how awful everyone was at the time. It was just constant flaming of teammates, flaming opponents, griefing each other etc for the basic toxicity. It made it really hard to get back into it as soon as you didn't play for a while and got rusty. It was also terrible, and this is the one part that I know is still an issue, at harassing girls that play as soon as its apparent that you're a girl. I mostly avoid team voice chat so it wasn't too bad for me but the last time I was playing it was with another girl from work and every time as soon as she opened her mouth...

"omg its a grill

grill!

girl!

grill!"

And then harassment for the next 40 minutes. It just destroys my ability to enjoy it.

Now to answer your actual question regarding the response of some of the community (who I know because I still follow it as a spectator even without playing) started with this one from a guy that I'd loosely characterise as a bit of a silly dick that gives a lot of shit to the other "talent" and so on. Not exactly the kind of person I expected to see a good response from: https://medium.com/@keepingitKyle/flirting-for-morons-258b92ff614b

As additional women started to talk up there were more informal responses roundly condemning their behaviour from other talent like https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9rr7 and https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9q2p, along with a very personal post from the wife of one of the others https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9nv8. That last one - Austin/Capitalist - also made it very clear he will never work with these guys again, and wasn't the only one to do so https://medium.com/@nahazdota/regarding-toby-b5ee41b193e4.

The general trend that I found heartening was 1) trusting the accusations were being made in good faith, 2) accepting there is a problem with the culture of the community that needs to change, 3) recognising that inaction and ignoring it in the past just enables the abusers. It all strikes me as much more sincere and aware than I'm used to seeing by communities with this stuff going on.

44 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The general trend that I found heartening was 1) trusting the accusations were being made in good faith, 2) accepting there is a problem with the culture of the community that needs to change, 3) recognising that inaction and ignoring it in the past just enables the abusers. It all strikes me as much more sincere and aware than I'm used to seeing by communities with this stuff going on.

Wow. Have finished reading through all the articles. 

Damn.

At least the grievances people aired were taken seriously and something was actually *done*.

Did a bit of searching around online. Looks like this Tobi fellow is part of a greater #MeToo-style movement in the gaming/eSports world. Interestingly, that article doesn't mention him. Looks like that story broke after this piece was published. 

7 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I have 0 warning points. Clearly I'm doing something wrong with my life.

I got one for making fun of Tony Romo's shoulder injury.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not sure if I should start a generic thread for all the fuckery going on in the SFF community right now but Orbit is dropping Sam Sykes once his contract is up. There is a post and response but the link seems broken I'll post it somewhere when it's fixed.

Orbit's site seems to be down, so here's a backup link

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

This probably all needs a seperate topic there so much of it, but I don't know what to call it without using naughty words.

Here you go: "unprofessional behaviour".

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

There's been so much shit in the comics/books/games community I don't have a link handy, but AFAIK, basically being a super creepy, crass sexual harasser. 

Some of it is mentioned here https://www.patreon.com/posts/genre-grapevine-38610062

Interesting read overall.  Even had a Winds of Winter update in there! :lol: Wherein George laments that 150 manuscript pages a month he was pulling with ASoS seems an unattainable fever pace... I have no experience as a writer, but honestly 3 pages a day of rough draft doesn’t feel like it should be some legendary feat. :dunno: 

I also have to admit that when I first saw the name DongWon crop up in these Authors Gone Wild threads, I thought it was some sort of spoof name.  A play on Don Juan or something... had no clue it was an actual dude!  Learning stuff every day. :lol: 

56 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Interesting read overall.  Even had a Winds of Winter update in there! :lol: Wherein George laments that 150 manuscript pages a month he was pulling with ASoS seems an unattainable fever pace... I have no experience as a writer, but honestly 3 pages a day of rough draft doesn’t feel like it should be some legendary feat. :dunno: 

I also have to admit that when I first saw the name DongWon crop up in these Authors Gone Wild threads, I thought it was some sort of spoof name.  A play on Don Juan or something... had no clue it was an actual dude!  Learning stuff every day. :lol: 

In theory, no. So long as you know what you’re writing.

Think of it as the differenxe between a brisk hike in the woods when you know where you’re going, covering a lot of miles, against being lost
, wandering in circles.

Archived