How desperate was the Night's Watch?

I've been rereading ASOIAF for the fourth time, and I got to ACoK, and the first thing I noticed in Arya's first chapter was this : Why in hell's name would anyone ever reasonably believe Rorge or Biter would make good recruits for the Night's Watch. Let's start with Biter, because honestly, how? How could he ever be expected to do.....anything really. He couldn't talk. He hissed like a snake. He ate people. What, is he going to be a builder? And then Rorge, who is also a psychopath....like..what was the plan? How was the Night's Watch going to stop these guys from just doing whatever the hell they wanted? Yoren had them locked up in a cage and they tried to attack anyone who came near the cage. How were these guys ever going to be useful to the Night's Watch. This is seriously perplexing me. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Given the state of the nights watch, yes they're very desperate.

I mean. I honestly think Jon's scarecrow fake brothers would be better at defending the wall then Biter. They aren't likely to randomly kill one of their brothers or just generally not do anything to defend the wall. Can you see Biter dying for his brothers on the Wall?

33 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I mean. I honestly think Jon's scarecrow fake brothers would be better at defending the wall then Biter. They aren't likely to randomly kill one of their brothers or just generally not do anything to defend the wall. Can you see Biter dying for his brothers on the Wall?

Not really, but that's not Yoren's call. His job is to get the bodies to the Wall. Up to Alliser or someone else to decide what, if anything, can be made of them. Not that they are very good at that given how hard they tried turning Sam into a fighter instead of doing the obvious and giving him a job where his education could be utilized.

Archived