US Politics: Bounties from a Jericho Walk

ants

50 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Sanders did not win:( 

Would I chooseBiden? He’s is smart, knows how to author legislation, knows the other people;  he is compassionate and plays well with others. It could be much, much worse, like a presidency by alpha orange male Trump leading an irresponsible senate.

I hate to admit it, but actually the choice of Biden is starting to look prescient. Trump is starting to tank with seniors, likely due to his pathetic virus response and general cavalier nature about it. Biden is popular with seniors. It seems likely he will deliver the most punishing defeat possible on Trump.

Maskless Trump Rails Against ‘Left-Wing Mob’ As Coronavirus Crisis Spirals
There was no social distancing — and few masks — in the Mount Rushmore crowd as the president ignored the public health crisis consuming the country.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-mount-rushmore-independence-day_n_5effde8bc5b6acab28509ab0

Faced with a public health crisis spiraling further out of control as a result of his own governing failures, a maskless President Donald Trump ranted against the “left-wing mob,” “far-left fascism” and “cancel culture” in a disjointed speech delivered at an Independence Day celebration held at South Dakota’s Mount Rushmore National Memorial on Friday night.

“Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to defame our history,” Trump told a cheering crowd, most of whom also appeared to not be wearing masks.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the Republicans wait for Labor Day to drop Trump... they're screwed.  They will not be able to turn things around in the time they have left.

I am more curious how they think they can distance themselves from their orange Albatross.

They have stood idly by and supported the most outrageous shit, and shielded him from taking any responsibility. Their no-impeachment vote really should have sealed their fate in that regard. I know the average voter is stupid, but surely not that stupid.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:09 AM, Kalbear said:

The only way Republicans will abandon Trump is if he is shown to be a massive, huge loser. A few - like Romney - are going to position themselves as the next leader by way of their opposition for a while. Others will just sweep it under the rug, just like they did with Bush. And nothing will change.

Lil' Paul Ryan will be back, and try to position himself as the principled conservative who did not run for reelection because of Trump. Which is of course a pathetic and ludicrous sales pitch (if he had any principles, he would've disavowed Trump in 2016 at several points), but he will swear a holy oath on Atlas Shrugged if need be.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am more curious how they think they can distance themselves from their orange Albatross.

Their no-impeachment vote really should have sealed their fate in that regard. I know the average voter is stupid, but surely not that stupid.

I would love a survey in my area that asked the simple question, “Has President Trump ever been impeached?”

I’m sure the number of ‘no’ answers would be shockingly high. 

45 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I would love a survey in my area that asked the simple question, “Has President Trump ever been impeached?”

Are you suggesting I should've phrased it more accurately with refusal to vote for impeachment in the house (with the exception of Amash) with the Democrat majority, and then their absolute refusal to convict in the senate (with the exception of Romney), despite pretty strong evidence.

Yes, it was a bit sloppily worded, however, I was more looking at the senators refusal to convict.

I mean in Germany post 1945, we all know, that every German family was secretly part of the resistance and had kept at least one Jew hidden from the Nazis in their cellar (yes, I put that one in for Tywin), so I am curious how many Mexicans found refuge at Lindsey Graham's home - other than his cleaning lady.

7 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I think that the idea that Sanders lost on policy grounds is incorrect. Based off polling, Democrats are broadly supportive of the policies that Sanders was running on, but I think that what really decided things was this is a time when Americans are scared, and their instinct was go run to daddy to be comforted and feel safe. I think this is a self destructive instinct that is impeding progress, but I can't really blame them for that.

This is not really true though. A lot of Sanders policies are semi popular, but the devil is in the details. If you tell people he supports giving everyone affordable healthcare it's popular once you tell them that involves making their current healthcare illegal the support sinks like a stone.

Sanders was the presumed front runner coming out of Nevada that was his time to soothe the democratic electorate, and what did he do instead? He attacked the party he was going to lead and doubled down on praising Fidel Castro. I was getting on board for Bernie but those things switched my vote to Biden. Pardon me me for not getting on board with a candidate who tanks his chances in one of the most important swing states for literally no reason.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Are you suggesting I should've phrased it more accurately with refusal to vote for impeachment in the house (with the exception of Amash) with the Democrat majority, and then their absolute refusal to convict in the senate (with the exception of Romney), despite pretty strong evidence.

Yes, it was a bit sloppily worded, however, I was more looking at the senators refusal to convict.

I was talking about the voters themselves, and whether or not they would care about the no-impeachment vote by their representatives in the first place.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:
17 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They have stood idly by and supported the most outrageous shit, and shielded him from taking any responsibility. Their no-impeachment vote really should have sealed their fate in that regard. I know the average voter is stupid, but surely not that stupid.

That’s an excellent point.  They’ve been carrying his water, denying he is a problem, and defending his bizarre and illegal behavior his entire term.  Abandoning Trump now will not assuage anyone who opposes Trump and will only enrage Trump’s loyal core.  

It’s entirely possible the Republicans who aren’t in Trump strongholds are screwed.  I know there is no way in hell I’m casting a ballot in favor of Lindsey Graham.  I had a very nice text exchange with a volunteer from Jamie Harrison’s campaign a couple of days ago.  

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The devil made them do it, so it was Hillary's fault.

Jokes aside, the polling numbers they're running on the morning news, damn. The gap will obviously close, but seeing something like +12 is no longer just a random thing. So much looks like it's within the margin of error of that. 

In other news, Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend, who works as a fundraiser on the Trump campaign, tested positive for Covid-19. She got left behind in South Dakota to self-isolate for 14 days. Don Jr. tested negative. They went to some fancy rich person's party in the Hamptons last weekend, tweeting various pictures showing no one wearing face masks or social distancing.

Seriously, they need to be more careful. We don't want the prez getting Covid-19 and dying months before the election.

Still 122 days! Enough time for Pence to get organized...

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The devil made them do it, so it was Hillary's fault.

Jokes aside, the polling numbers they're running on the morning news, damn. The gap will obviously close, but seeing something like +12 is no longer just a random thing. So much looks like it's within the margin of error of that. 

Not obviously. It certainly could. But the factors that caused Biden's lead to expand all remain present, and I feel like most of Biden's current support is pretty solid (or rather, the anti-Trump vote is pretty solid). There are still a lot of undecideds, though far less than 2016 and the 3rd party candidates are getting much less attention this time. If Trump was kept to his current support and the undecideds broke solidly for Biden, Biden would end up winning the election at +17 or +18. Plus the chances of a polling error go equally in both directions, as does the implications of the pandemic on turnout.

I get not wanting to spike the football (and we shouldn't, since things could go bad), and we're all still shell-shocked from 2016. But it's worth acknowledging what the state of the race really is right now and what it's implications are; which, for us not actually involved with the campaign mostly means it expands the list of congressional candidates with a realistic shot at winning their races and could probably benefit from a donation if you have the money to spare.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not obviously. It certainly could. But the factors that caused Biden's lead to expand all remain present, and I feel like most of Biden's current support is pretty solid (or rather, the anti-Trump vote is pretty solid). There are still a lot of undecideds, though far less than 2016 and the 3rd party candidates are getting much less attention this time. If Trump was kept to his current support and the undecideds broke solidly for Biden, Biden would end up winning the election at +17 or +18. Plus the chances of a polling error go equally in both directions, as does the implications of the pandemic on turnout.

I get not wanting to spike the football (and we shouldn't, since things could go bad), and we're all still shell-shocked from 2016. But it's worth acknowledging what the state of the race really is right now and what it's implications are; which, for us not actually involved with the campaign mostly means it expands the list of congressional candidates with a realistic shot at winning their races and could probably benefit from a donation if you have the money to spare.

I'm very confident right now, but the margin can't be that wide. Despite all his flaws, Trump will still make it to the mid 40's. 

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I believe you would be correct.  I was debating some Trump fans on Facebook last week who brought up as a counter-argument - 'surely, if Trump did something like that he'd be impeached.'  I then reminded them that Trump had already been impeached.  Somehow, they'd forgotten the whole dang thing from start to finish.  Upon being reminded, they insisted his impeachment didn't count at all because the Senate acquitted him.  Had to remind them of the law on that one as well.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Upon being reminded, they insisted his impeachment didn't count at all because the Senate acquitted him.  Had to remind them of the law on that one as well.

If I may ask, what did you remind them of? Why does the impeachment matter as he wasn't removed?

21 minutes ago, TsarGrey said:

If I may ask, what did you remind them of? Why does the impeachment matter as he wasn't removed?

I reminded them that the impeachment by the House stood regardless of subsequent actions by the Senate.  And that he remained in office entirely because of a spineless republican controlled Senate.

As to 'why it mattered,' I pointed out that Trump has the dubious distinction of being one of just three presidents to be impeached even to that extent, which says a great deal about his character and ethics.   

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s an excellent point.  They’ve been carrying his water, denying he is a problem, and defending his bizarre and illegal behavior his entire term.  Abandoning Trump now will not assuage anyone who opposes Trump and will only enrage Trump’s loyal core.  

It’s entirely possible the Republicans who aren’t in Trump strongholds are screwed.  I know there is no way in hell I’m casting a ballot in favor of Lindsey Graham.  I had a very nice text exchange with a volunteer from Jamie Harrison’s campaign a couple of days ago.  

Not sure whether I mentioned it in this or in the last thread.

But some of those RVAT vids on youtube are fun.

I have obviously no idea how representative those are, but if they are a reflection of what is happening right now with GOP voters, then the Orange one is pretty much a goner, and arguably quite a few of the enablers might find themselves in trouble. To spare you the trouble I selected a few for my highlight reel. Fortunately those vids are not that long. Like I said, sorta guilty pleasure binge watch potential for me.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

2 hours ago, TsarGrey said:

Because only two other Presidents in the history of the United States have been impeached.  And being impeached, even if not convicted and removed from office by the Senate will always be there.

59 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure whether I mentioned it in this or in the last thread.

But some of those RVAT vids on youtube are fun.

I have obviously no idea how representative those are, but if they are a reflection of what is happening right now with GOP voters, then the Orange one is pretty much a goner, and arguably quite a few of the enablers might find themselves in trouble. To spare you the trouble I selected a few for my highlight reel. Fortunately those vids are not that long. Like I said, sorta guilty pleasure binge watch potential for me.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Watched most of the first four or five flicks.  I note that several of those making the videos did not vote for Trump in 2016, hence were not aboard the 'Trump Train' when it left the station.  

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

Watched most of the first four or five flicks.  I note that several of those making the videos did not vote for Trump in 2016, hence were not aboard the 'Trump Train' when it left the station.  

Check their youtube chan.

There's also a bunch of, voted Trump, but not again.

I picked the onesI chose, because of their wider Goodbye GOP mood.

But if you want the former Trump voters.

There you go.

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Because only two other Presidents in the history of the United States have been impeached.  And being impeached, even if not convicted and removed from office by the Senate will always be there.

It will be there, but given the current impeachment trends, he is quite likely to have more company soon. Averaging over the entire history of the US obscures the pattern. Out of the first 36 Presidents (from Washington to Lyndon Johnson), exactly 1 was impeached (and escaped conviction by a single vote). Out of the next 9 (from Nixon to Trump), 2 were impeached and 1 resigned before the impeachment vote could take place.

All impeachment needs is a majority in the House; the reason it used to be rare is that people wouldn't do it unless they were fairly confident of their chances in the Senate trial. Today, this is no longer the case -- it is now acceptable to do it simply for the value of the spectacle. At the rate this is going, we might even have a President who is impeached on two different occasions.

Fear not, Kanye will save you...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/05/kanye-west-declares-he-will-run-for-us-president-in-2020?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1593932872

Just when you thought 2020 couldn’t get any weirder, rapper Kanye West declared his candidacy for US president.

The unlikely challenger to Donald Trump – of whom he has been a vocal supporter – and Joe Biden, chose American independence day to make the surprise announcement on Twitter, triggering a social media storm.

*I don't know if I would consider him or Trump worse, to be quite honest.

**As the article says, it's unclear if he has actually filled out any of the required paperwork

Archived