US Politics: Bounties from a Jericho Walk

ants

The biggest complaint I would have with a Biden v Trump debate would be if a weak moderator were to allow La Donnie unchecked interruptions. 

Nothing ruins a debate more for me when this is allowed and Republicans, ever weak on the facts, almost always resort to that behavior, while Dems tend to meekly try to take the high road. That would be a mistake against a fat mouth like Trump.

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The biggest complaint I would have with a Biden v Trump debate would be if a weak moderator were to allow La Donnie unchecked interruptions. 

Nothing ruins a debate more for me when this is allowed and Republicans, ever weak on the facts, almost always resort to that behavior, while Dems tend to meekly try to take the high road. That would be a mistake against a fat mouth like Trump.

But that was part of the article -- how this could / should be set up so this couldn't happen.  Otherwise, no go.

I know the plural of anecdote isn't "data", but I have to say: nearly everyone in my extended family is or has been some kind of teacher or professor, and/or is/was married to a teacher or professor, and I think Trump is killing himself with his cockamamie plans to force schools open in the fall.

Every teacher I know is up in arms about full in-person school attendance in the fall, and most of it is over really practical, kitchen-table issues like addressing how mandatory quarantines for teachers/children exposed to the coronavirus are going to be handled through banked sick days, etc.

I know that most non-teacher parents are ready to get kids back in school, but every educator and most staff in the U.S. will go on strike if they're forced into teaching full-time in person in the fall.

6 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I will just add to this that I think multiple states (not just Russia) will engage in electoral interference in 2020.  They've all seen Russia do it and escape scot free.  I would put KSA, Turkey in this category.   

Brazil too I imagine. I do also wonder what China wants. Do they prefer someone incompetent in charge, even one who is very aggressive towards China trade-wise? I suspect the govt of every country of dubious moral character wanting to increase their global influence would be more happy with a 2nd term Trump as they would see 4 more years of Trump as 4 more years of the US losing global power and influence.

China has already stated they want Trump back, because as disruptive and stupid as he is, he's significantly easier to manage and is willing to do basically nothing to curtail Chinese growth. He can be bribed, bought, and easily dealt with via stupid promises that are meaningless, and Trump causes the kind of internal carnage that makes the US basically ungoverned and mastless. 

We have a good amount of experience dealing with some of the Russian hacking orgs, and they're hard to deal with. The US government has almost no information by comparison in fighting Chinese hacking, and most of their hacking has been against corporate targets. You could easily see them doing a lot more. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Right, I don't know why these mods can't just have only one live mike at a time. If the other mike isn't live, interruptions can't happen.

Why would any TV chanel do that? Debates are all about ratings to the TV chanels, and a debate without each participant being able to interrupt and talk over each other doesn't get the same ratings.

Election debates are theatre and are no better at discussing real issues or achieving any kind of truth for the audience than competition debating. So you might as well make it as theatrical as possible for the entertainment, which is the only value debates actually have. On that note, I do hope Kanye gets invited to one of the debates. Biden might worry a bit with Kanye in a debate, because then he will have an intelligent, articulate opponent, who may espouse ideas that actually sound good to many people of colour.

If you want to figure out who to vote for, which in this election it seems rather strange that anyone is still uncertain,  do the boring thing, like read policy statements and election manifestos, and of course think about the ideology of the kinds of people they will nominate to judgeships. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Right, I don't know why these mods can't just have only one live mike at a time. If the other mike isn't live, interruptions can't happen.

Because the rules of presidential debates are established by agreement between the campaigns. And they cover everything, right down to the temperature of the room, the size and shape of the podiums, and the lighting to be used. To say nothing of the format for questions and responses. And no campaign would ever agree to allow their candidate to be muted.

Same here -- you want us to kill ourselves for your profit -- and the students too?

They could do a great deal better Distance learning and teaching though, if they'd just be smart and do it as tutoring.  Breaking up the classes and assigning 2 - 3 - 4 students to single professor or instructor or adjunct.  Which would mean hiring a whole lot more people, of course, but spreading it all around, which would be good for those teaching too.  Because some kinds of teaching can be done effectively this way, as some of us learned.  Tutoring is how higher learning used to work . . . .

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Same here -- you want us to kill ourselves for your profit -- and the students too?

They could do a great deal better Distance learning and teaching though, if they'd just be smart and do it as tutoring.  Breaking up the classes and assigning 2 - 3 - 4 students to single professor or instructor or adjunct.  Which would mean hiring a whole lot more people, of course, but spreading it all around, which would be good for those teaching too.  Because some kinds of teaching can be done effectively this way, as some of us learned.  Tutoring is how higher learning used to work . . . .

This would really be the only way to get it to work, but he wants things to go back the way they were without having to spend any money. It's a non-starter.

At this point I wonder if he's convinced he's going to lose, and has decided to try to break the country on his way out.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I know the plural of anecdote isn't "data", but I have to say: nearly everyone in my extended family is or has been some kind of teacher or professor, and/or is/was married to a teacher or professor, and I think Trump is killing himself with his cockamamie plans to force schools open in the fall.

Every teacher I know is up in arms about full in-person school attendance in the fall, and most of it is over really practical, kitchen-table issues like addressing how mandatory quarantines for teachers/children exposed to the coronavirus are going to be handled through banked sick days, etc.

I know that most non-teacher parents are ready to get kids back in school, but every educator and most staff in the U.S. will go on strike if they're forced into teaching full-time in person in the fall.

I just think of the simplest thing, remember in HS how people gathered in the hallways? And how hard it could be to get past people in a packed hall.

How the fuck is that supposed to work with full or just nearly full attendance? 

Archived