Sign in to follow this  
ants

US Politics: Bounties from a Jericho Walk

8 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

No, incremental change is not, by definition, “no change”.

Where do you think the bromide. "one step forward two steps back." comes from? Ultimately it puts you even further back than at the beginning.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the Republicans wait for Labor Day to drop Trump... they're screwed.  They will not be able to turn things around in the time they have left.

At a certain point I wonder if the calculus becomes not so much "what's our best chance of winning?" but "what's the best way for us to disassociate ourselves from this guy?"  

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Where do you think the bromide. "one step forward two steps back." comes from? Ultimately it puts you even further back than at the beginning.

You say the wackest shit.

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Which is no more a "bromide" than "two steps forward one step back."

Google at the moment gives 352,000 hits for "one step forward two steps back" and 363,000 results for "two steps forward one step back." I guess the optimists are just slightly ahead of the pessimists there. :)

Zorral, this response. is sophistry. We could have a bromide war, but it would be silly. 

No, I don’t mean dropping the ball, when the rubber hits the road:)!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Which is no more a "bromide" than "two steps forward one step back."

Google at the moment gives 352,000 hits for "one step forward two steps back" and 363,000 results for "two steps forward one step back." I guess the optimists are just slightly ahead of the pessimists there. :)

Has anyone said it as well as Paula Abdul? 

Edited by BigFatCoward

I put one foot in and turn myself about.

I out one foot in my mouth and show myself out 

7 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

No, incremental change is not, by definition, “no change”.

I’m a progressive and probably believe in similar directions to you. I do think the U.S. has a lot more groundwork to do. It’s hard to walk back all the brainwashing from media, etc. sanders was right to try, and if he had been successful I’d happily have voted for him. That Sanders is not successful is a gauge of how the ideas are being received by Americans. Yes, young people are getting a chance to shape this now and for a long time! However, Trumps presidency is a catastrophe, and I feel that fact is what I will respond to and fight over the speed after achieving a power position.

I think that the idea that Sanders lost on policy grounds is incorrect. Based off polling, Democrats are broadly supportive of the policies that Sanders was running on, but I think that what really decided things was this is a time when Americans are scared, and their instinct was go run to daddy to be comforted and feel safe. I think this is a self destructive instinct that is impeding progress, but I can't really blame them for that.

Sanders did not win:( 

Would I chooseBiden? He’s is smart, knows how to author legislation, knows the other people;  he is compassionate and plays well with others. It could be much, much worse, like a presidency by alpha orange male Trump leading an irresponsible senate.

50 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Sanders did not win:( 

Would I chooseBiden? He’s is smart, knows how to author legislation, knows the other people;  he is compassionate and plays well with others. It could be much, much worse, like a presidency by alpha orange male Trump leading an irresponsible senate.

I hate to admit it, but actually the choice of Biden is starting to look prescient. Trump is starting to tank with seniors, likely due to his pathetic virus response and general cavalier nature about it. Biden is popular with seniors. It seems likely he will deliver the most punishing defeat possible on Trump.

Maskless Trump Rails Against ‘Left-Wing Mob’ As Coronavirus Crisis Spirals
There was no social distancing — and few masks — in the Mount Rushmore crowd as the president ignored the public health crisis consuming the country.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-mount-rushmore-independence-day_n_5effde8bc5b6acab28509ab0

Faced with a public health crisis spiraling further out of control as a result of his own governing failures, a maskless President Donald Trump ranted against the “left-wing mob,” “far-left fascism” and “cancel culture” in a disjointed speech delivered at an Independence Day celebration held at South Dakota’s Mount Rushmore National Memorial on Friday night.

“Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to defame our history,” Trump told a cheering crowd, most of whom also appeared to not be wearing masks.

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I hate to admit it, but actually the choice of Biden is starting to look prescient. Trump is starting to tank with seniors, likely due to his pathetic virus response and general cavalier nature about it. Biden is popular with seniors. It seems likely he will deliver the most punishing defeat possible on Trump

Hoping for an LBJ v Goldwater kind of result.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the Republicans wait for Labor Day to drop Trump... they're screwed.  They will not be able to turn things around in the time they have left.

I am more curious how they think they can distance themselves from their orange Albatross.

They have stood idly by and supported the most outrageous shit, and shielded him from taking any responsibility. Their no-impeachment vote really should have sealed their fate in that regard. I know the average voter is stupid, but surely not that stupid.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:09 AM, Kalbear said:

The only way Republicans will abandon Trump is if he is shown to be a massive, huge loser. A few - like Romney - are going to position themselves as the next leader by way of their opposition for a while. Others will just sweep it under the rug, just like they did with Bush. And nothing will change.

Lil' Paul Ryan will be back, and try to position himself as the principled conservative who did not run for reelection because of Trump. Which is of course a pathetic and ludicrous sales pitch (if he had any principles, he would've disavowed Trump in 2016 at several points), but he will swear a holy oath on Atlas Shrugged if need be.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am more curious how they think they can distance themselves from their orange Albatross.

Their no-impeachment vote really should have sealed their fate in that regard. I know the average voter is stupid, but surely not that stupid.

I would love a survey in my area that asked the simple question, “Has President Trump ever been impeached?”

I’m sure the number of ‘no’ answers would be shockingly high. 

45 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I would love a survey in my area that asked the simple question, “Has President Trump ever been impeached?”

I’m sure the number of ‘no’ answers would be shockingly high. 

Are you suggesting I should've phrased it more accurately with refusal to vote for impeachment in the house (with the exception of Amash) with the Democrat majority, and then their absolute refusal to convict in the senate (with the exception of Romney), despite pretty strong evidence.

Yes, it was a bit sloppily worded, however, I was more looking at the senators refusal to convict.

I mean in Germany post 1945, we all know, that every German family was secretly part of the resistance and had kept at least one Jew hidden from the Nazis in their cellar (yes, I put that one in for Tywin), so I am curious how many Mexicans found refuge at Lindsey Graham's home - other than his cleaning lady.

7 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I think that the idea that Sanders lost on policy grounds is incorrect. Based off polling, Democrats are broadly supportive of the policies that Sanders was running on, but I think that what really decided things was this is a time when Americans are scared, and their instinct was go run to daddy to be comforted and feel safe. I think this is a self destructive instinct that is impeding progress, but I can't really blame them for that.

This is not really true though. A lot of Sanders policies are semi popular, but the devil is in the details. If you tell people he supports giving everyone affordable healthcare it's popular once you tell them that involves making their current healthcare illegal the support sinks like a stone.

Sanders was the presumed front runner coming out of Nevada that was his time to soothe the democratic electorate, and what did he do instead? He attacked the party he was going to lead and doubled down on praising Fidel Castro. I was getting on board for Bernie but those things switched my vote to Biden. Pardon me me for not getting on board with a candidate who tanks his chances in one of the most important swing states for literally no reason.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Are you suggesting I should've phrased it more accurately with refusal to vote for impeachment in the house (with the exception of Amash) with the Democrat majority, and then their absolute refusal to convict in the senate (with the exception of Romney), despite pretty strong evidence.

Yes, it was a bit sloppily worded, however, I was more looking at the senators refusal to convict.

I was talking about the voters themselves, and whether or not they would care about the no-impeachment vote by their representatives in the first place.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:
17 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They have stood idly by and supported the most outrageous shit, and shielded him from taking any responsibility. Their no-impeachment vote really should have sealed their fate in that regard. I know the average voter is stupid, but surely not that stupid.

That’s an excellent point.  They’ve been carrying his water, denying he is a problem, and defending his bizarre and illegal behavior his entire term.  Abandoning Trump now will not assuage anyone who opposes Trump and will only enrage Trump’s loyal core.  

It’s entirely possible the Republicans who aren’t in Trump strongholds are screwed.  I know there is no way in hell I’m casting a ballot in favor of Lindsey Graham.  I had a very nice text exchange with a volunteer from Jamie Harrison’s campaign a couple of days ago.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The devil made them do it, so it was Hillary's fault.

Jokes aside, the polling numbers they're running on the morning news, damn. The gap will obviously close, but seeing something like +12 is no longer just a random thing. So much looks like it's within the margin of error of that. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

In other news, Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend, who works as a fundraiser on the Trump campaign, tested positive for Covid-19. She got left behind in South Dakota to self-isolate for 14 days. Don Jr. tested negative. They went to some fancy rich person's party in the Hamptons last weekend, tweeting various pictures showing no one wearing face masks or social distancing.

Seriously, they need to be more careful. We don't want the prez getting Covid-19 and dying months before the election.

Still 122 days! Enough time for Pence to get organized...