US Politics: Bounties from a Jericho Walk

ants

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

John

This is the consequences of Lincoln, Grant and the Union wanting to keep the scions of the slaveocracy happy, pretending slavery and the rest had nothing to do with the War of the Rebellion, but instead was merely a tragic mistake that somehow two equally gallant and brave groups made, so that nearly 500,000 people died.  Honor them both for their great sacrifice!

And lordessa, is Gettysburg's monuments all about that BS-- equal honor and sacrifice -- when it was treason and greed.

Not sure about this take. Reconstruction is a complex topic but I don't think that is a fair description of either of those administrations. Historians often debate what Lincoln would have done but few believe he would have advocated total capitulation to the ideals the Union had fought for. In any case his assassination means we'll never know.

Your sentences could very well describe Johnson's administration but  remember the radical republicans impeached and almost removed him. Some defend Johnson but I won't.

Grant is a lot tougher on the south than you give him credit for both in defending the 14th and 15th amendment and taking action at the newly formed Ku Klux Klan. This pissed Southerners off. It was largely Southern Lost Cause type historians that would write vigorously to both claim Grant's Administration was the worst ever (true he was not perfect) and that the Civil war was about State's rights. It's Grants administration that Southern states were so willing to accept the compromise in the Tilden Hayes election to remove federal troops.

Dear president Trump,

Thanks for being such an awesome sport and helping New Zealand through this corona crisis with your generous corona cheques (checks to you I suppose).

Wishing you and your country good health and a swift end to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Kindest regards,

New Zealand

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/122002487/trump-cheques-arriving-in-new-zealand

The president's letter was penned to go out with US economic stimulus cheques designed to boost the US economy, but some of the boost is being felt here in New Zealand with cheques landing on the doormats of New Zealand residents with American citizenship.

Banks are reporting "Trump cheques" being cashed and deposited here, and one New Zealander with US citizenship said she'd spent her US1200 (NZ$1850) on a new dishwasher.

I imagine a few other countries are getting a wee economic stimulus courtesy of the US government.

I'm a bit miffed because my wife and none of her family who live here, who are all US citizens, have received their cheques. Just kidding, we don't need the help so it's better for the money to go where it is truly needed.

5 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Not sure about this take. Reconstruction is a complex topic but I don't think that is a fair description of either of those administrations. Historians often debate what Lincoln would have done but few believe he would have advocated total capitulation to the ideals the Union had fought for. In any case his assassination means we'll never know.

Your sentences could very well describe Johnson's administration but  remember the radical republicans impeached and almost removed him. Some defend Johnson but I won't.

Grant is a lot tougher on the south than you give him credit for both in defending the 14th and 15th amendment and taking action at the newly formed Ku Klux Klan. This pissed Southerners off. It was largely Southern Lost Cause type historians that would write vigorously to both claim Grant's Administration was the worst ever (true he was not perfect) and that the Civil war was about State's rights. It's Grants administration that Southern states were so willing to accept the compromise in the Tilden Hayes election to remove federal troops.

I know all this.  It was his choice though at Appomattox to allow Lee to keep his sword and all his officers to keep their horses and weapons.  Unlike what we did at Yorktown.

Beyond that, I'm a huge Grant admirer.  He's one of my few heroes.

15 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A couple recent polls out of Maine, one with Collins up and the other with her down, so I guess that means its an open(sh) race.

I'm fine calling it an openish race, but I wouldn't put too much stock in a Republican Senate Committee poll showing Collins ahead.  

23 hours ago, SeanF said:

How long is Ghislaine Maxwell likely to remain alive?

Unless they put her in ADX Florence, not too long.

16 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

She can surely dish the dirt just as much as Epstein could. So I guess that means the answer is not long enough to give the feds anything concrete on anyone.

I suspect MI6 will be behind the dirty work. It's bad enough Prince Andrew is heavily suspected. But there is no way Her Majesty's govt can allow Randy Andy to be a proven statutory rapist (at best, raving pedophile at worst).

United States Marshals Service versus MI6. . . That would be a very interesting battle. 

39 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm fine calling it an openish race, but I wouldn't put too much stock in a Republican Senate Committee poll showing Collins ahead.  

I saw an article (can't remember where) about the dearth of Republican internal polling being released compared to Democratic internal polling. Under that viewpoint, this could be read as a desperate attempt to get any bit of good news out there (no idea if that viewpoint is in any way valid).

2 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

Unless they put her in ADX Florence, not too long.

United States Marshals Service versus MI6. . . That would be a very interesting battle. 

I would at least hope that, given what happened with Epstein, they'll have her on constant suicide watch to at least preclude that possibility.

44 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I saw an article (can't remember where) about the dearth of Republican internal polling being released compared to Democratic internal polling. Under that viewpoint, this could be read as a desperate attempt to get any bit of good news out there (no idea if that viewpoint is in any way valid).

Oh, please, The Donald himself just said this past week that Republican internal polls show he's in fanatstic shape, fantastic shape! This is the president talking, ya know!

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, please, The Donald himself just said this past week that Republican internal polls show he's in fanatstic shape, fantastic shape! This is the president talking, ya know!

Well, I guess that settles that, then. The man is a fucking cancer.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Right, although the problem with Maine is that there is only one non-partisan poll from PPP that came out recently, all the others (admittedly few) are partisan sponsored, That she is in trouble is beyond question in keeping with the general mood of the nation right now,

22 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Right, although the problem with Maine is that there is only one non-partisan poll from PPP that came out recently, all the others (admittedly few) are partisan sponsored, That she is in trouble is beyond question in keeping with the general mood of the nation right now,

Given how angry democrats are generally, it is hard to imagine any Republican winning a state that Trump loses by 10+.  And Trump is going to lose Maine by more than 10.  

Lol, Trump is not happy with the concept of the Cleveland Indians and the Washington Redskins changing their names "to be politically correct".

He even invokes the name of Elizabeth Warren! 

"Indians, like Elizabeth Warren, must be very angry right now!"

I don't remember ever hearing of Bubba Wallace before the Talladega rope incident, but I am completely impressed by his "love over hate" response to Trump's tweet. What an admirable young man.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/506064-bubba-wallace-addresses-attacks-from-trump-even-when-its-hate-from?utm_source=thehill&utm_medium=widgets&utm_campaign=es_recommended_content

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

The Ayn Rand Institute got a PPP loan between 350K and a million dollars. Glad to see they are continuing her legacy of railing against the government while accepting government assistance.

So did Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform. The folks who want a government so small you can drown it in the bathtub.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-06/grover-norquist-s-anti-spending-group-took-small-business-relief

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

So did Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform. The folks who want a government so small you can drown it in the bathtub.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-06/grover-norquist-s-anti-spending-group-took-small-business-relief

I want government so big it will drown them in a bathtub.

Archived