Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

Watched Clueless earlier today for the first time since...I dunno I was 12.  It hasn't exactly aged well, but still made me smile and even laugh with its litany of referential humor.  And the cast is just strange to think about 25 years later.  Paul Rudd as a college student that is in love with a 16 year old.  Stacey Dash as a high school student - even then.  Wallace Shawn being, well, awesome like Wallace Shawn.  I don't get why I haven't watched this movie for at least twenty years.  One would think some cable channel would've picked it up.  Weird.

I finished off The Luminaries - I can't say if it is just my brain being less than functional this week (because I haven't been well) or something to do with the way the story was put together for the screen but I found it wasn't that easy to follow. And I've read the book so I know what happens. I felt confused in places. It could just be my brain fog or that I couldn't quite hang the actors onto the book characters...anyway, it was nice to look at so I kept watching. The last episode did a great job of making everything completely clear. I haven't yet checked what the critics had to say about it, but I did wonder if it was unpopular due to being non-linear and a bit slow.

We zippped through Curon yesterday evening. It reminded me A LOT of Les Revenants (except that was better). It was entertaining enough in terms of performance and what-is-happening? mystery, but I don't actually feel that by the end of this first season that we did actually find out what is going on. We found out what is happening (sort of) but not why or how. I imagine there will be a second season. I hope it is better than the second season of Les Revenants. Anyway, if you like weird, European mystery/horror set in small towns you'll enjoy this (it also reminded me of The Forest and Black Spot).

12 hours ago, ithanos said:

A Blake's 7 reboot is long overdue but I doubt they could ever replicate what Darrow brought to his Avon, or Pearce's Servalan and others I'm probably misremembering.

It'd be different but you could find actors who could bring something to the role. Colin Salmon was a superb Avon in the audio dramas (possibly a bit too old for the role now) and I've heard Benedict Cumberbatch suggested for the role (although unrealistic for a TV reboot, I think) and he'd do a great job.

I'm curious, all of you who are re-watching The Wire are you watching the original version or the HD widescreen version? Is there a consensus on which is better? I plan to re-watch that soon.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’ve been in a show rut so I decided to rewatch The Wire once again. Old reliable. I’m on season 2 now. Fucking stupid Ziggy.

I just started season five of my rewatch.  Amazing how this show never gets old.  

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’ve been in a show rut so I decided to rewatch The Wire once again. Old reliable. I’m on season 2 now. Fucking stupid Ziggy.

For about a decade now I've avoided rewatching The Wire even though I admire it and loved watching it at least a couple times over.  I think it's the only television show that actually depresses me because of how accurately it reflects reality.  Well, other than the final season where McNulty gets all weird with the media and shit.

Watched half of The Old Guard last night.  I hope the second half holds up to the first half, which had me deeply engaged with this squad of female marines in the Middle East.  So much was given the watcher about them and their group relationships without at all banging on it.  This was really interesting.  And now the Guard 'army' commander, so to speak, and the new officer -- more dimensions of women as part of a military cohort, a group, as opposed to 'merely' individual / or solitary warriors.  Anyway these aspects were really interesting because these are women, and thus subtly different from the traditional presentation of men in these conditions.  I wonder if this could be done without the super tropes of the Eternal  Warrior involved.

Palm Springs was a really good movie that had me laughing throughout. Last three movies/shows to feature the groundhog day concept has done really interesting stuff with it, all of which I've liked (Edge of Tomorrow, Russian Doll being other two).

21 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Eurovison Song Contest was better than I expected, mainly because of Fire Saga's songs, it had some good comedy (I burst out laughing at that last scene with the elves), and generally getting to see more of Iceland. I thought the rest of the songs were trash though. "Lion of Love" lol. Do these kind of songs really win Eurovision? Also had a hard time accepting Pierce Brosnan as Will Ferrel's dad. Rachel McAdams was quite good.

Lion of Love is a banger. 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

For about a decade now I've avoided rewatching The Wire even though I admire it and loved watching it at least a couple times over.  I think it's the only television show that actually depresses me because of how accurately it reflects reality.  Well, other than the final season where McNulty gets all weird with the media and shit.

The season five scene where the FBI does the profile on the serial killer and it sounds exactly like McNulty is pretty amazing, though.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Palm Springs was a really good movie that had me laughing throughout. Last three movies/shows to feature the groundhog day concept has done really interesting stuff with it, all of which I've liked (Edge of Tomorrow, Russian Doll being other two).

I still really need to see Edge of Tomorrow.

So I'm through the first five HP films now. Deus ex machina to the nines.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

The season five scene where the FBI does the profile on the serial killer and it sounds exactly like McNulty is pretty amazing, though.  :lol:

I think thats the 2nd funniest scene in The Wire after Cheese's interrogation ("ya'll some cold muthafuckas").

Rewatched Parasite for the first time since I saw it in the theater. Bought it on 4k, and it looks absolutely stunning with HDR. One of the best looking films I’ve seen on the format to date. 

Also watched Jim Jeffries newest comedy special: Intolerant. Good stuff. He’s probably still right there with Bill Burr as my favorite comedians working right now. 

Did a drive-in movie for the first time. What an amazing concept. The movie was great as well. I knew I was missing out by not having seen Get Out, but damn I was really, really missing out. Such a mesmerizing story, great acting all round and the film also looked beautiful. Glad 

Spoiler

to see that the villain wasn't supernatural for once. Allison Williams was genuinely terrifying switching from "ideal girlfriend" to "Ultimate Psychopath" at the drop of a hat. Didn't see that coming at all.

Definitely going to watch Us soon. Normally, I'd probably say that this was the best horror I had seen in quite some time, but I do feel like we're experiencing a horror revival. Since 2015 (?) we had Midsommar, It Follows, The Babbadook and that's just the films I have seen and can remember. Anyways, super excited to see Jordan Peele take on Candyman,  that will definitely be interesting.  

I will also take the opportunity to plug Hamilton once more. It was better than all the raves about it would lead you to believe and that is saying a lot seeing how popular it is. Been listening to the soundtrack on repeat since Thursday. 

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Did a drive-in movie for the first time. What an amazing concept. The movie was great as well. I knew I was missing out by not having seen Get Out, but damn I was really, really missing out. Such a mesmerizing story, great acting all round and the film also looked beautiful. Glad 

Reveal hidden contents

to see that the villain wasn't supernatural for once. Allison Williams was genuinely terrifying switching from "ideal girlfriend" to "Ultimate Psychopath" at the drop of a hat. Didn't see that coming at all.

Definitely going to watch Us soon. Normally, I'd probably say that this was the best horror I had seen in quite some time, but I do feel like we're experiencing a horror revival. Since 2015 (?) we had Midsommar, It Follows, The Babbadook and that's just the films I have seen and can remember. Anyways, super excited to see Jordan Peele take on Candyman,  that will definitely be interesting.  

I will also take the opportunity to plug Hamilton once more. It was better than all the raves about it would lead you to believe and that is saying a lot seeing how popular it is. Been listening to the soundtrack on repeat since Thursday. 

Jordan Peele isn't directing Candyman though, he's credited as producer and writer. Nia DaCosta is directing..

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Reveal hidden contents

Check out The Babysitter on Netflix for a nice, low budget horror film that's more fun than scary.

11 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I think thats the 2nd funniest scene in The Wire after Cheese's interrogation ("ya'll some cold muthafuckas").

The cold open interrogation to start season five is up there too.

Also Omar testifying in Bird's trial is pretty hilarious.

5 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Jordan Peele isn't directing Candyman though, he's credited as producer and writer. Nia DaCosta is directing..

Oh poop, that's a disappointment :( 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Check out The Babysitter on Netflix for a nice, low budget horror film that's more fun than scary.

Is this a trap? :P

Archived