Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

8 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Gonna watch this new Netflix doc on the mafia in NYC called Fear City

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

Let us know how that is I might check that out.

I’m also curious to hear how this was. I used to love watching those A&E documentaries on the mob back in the day. Kind of feel like I probably already know most of this stuff, but if it’s well done might as well give it a shot. I see it’s only 3 episodes. 

Watched season 3 & 4 of The Good Fight. Don't know why it took so long for me to get around to watching it, it's such a good show. I'm happy it's been renewed for a 5th season. The cast & crew message at the end of this season's episode 2 was a nice addition. The song they sang at the end got me thinking of O Brother Where Art Thou.

So I re-watched O Brother Where Art Thou last night. Can't believe its been 20 year since it came out! I thought it held up pretty well. Enjoyed it all over again. The dialogue between Clooney, Nelson and Turturro is hilarious. And the soundtrack I'll admit I've listened to numerous times over the years. This might be my favourite Coen Brothers movie.

39 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Cursed.  Wow. That was bad.  I made it through the entire first episode and that was a chore. 

:lmao: is it THAT bad? I was planning on watching it but now you make me hesitate

oh no, let me reevaluate my previous statement. I don’t love all characters. Arturo is a spineless shit. And so is Angel, really. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

:lmao: is it THAT bad? I was planning on watching it but now you make me hesitate

oh no, let me reevaluate my previous statement. I don’t love all characters. Arturo is a spineless shit. And so is Angel, really. 

Try the first episode and make your judgment.  I thought it was atrocious, awful writing, bad costumes, I mean, why am I seeing guys wearing renaissance era fashion in an Arthurian era show?  Some of the acting was also pretty bad, but not all.  Much gratuitous animal killing.  I can safely say I would rather do math problems than ever watch another second of Cursed. 

25 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Try the first episode and make your judgment.  I thought it was atrocious, awful writing, bad costumes, I mean, why am I seeing guys wearing renaissance era fashion in an Arthurian era show?  Some of the acting was also pretty bad, but not all.  Much gratuitous animal killing.  I can safely say I would rather do math problems than ever watch another second of Cursed. 

I also only watched the first episode. Yes, the show is set in a non-period specific fantasy land, very much like Guy Ritchie's Arthur movie. I especially groaned at the trope of

Spoiler

protagonist being shunned by her own people for her special powers, despite the fact that those people are pagans with magic, and we already got Christian zealots in the story.

And much like Arthur: Legend of the Sword, it would have been better if it was a non-Arthurian story. But we got to hook the audience somehow. But hey, at least the baddies are wearing red, not black. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

I also only watched the first episode. Yes, the show is set in a non-period specific fantasy land, very much like Guy Ritchie's Arthur movie. I especially groaned at the trope of

Hide contents

protagonist being shunned by her own people for her special powers, despite the fact that those people are pagans with magic, and we already got Christian zealots in the story.

And much like Arthur: Legend of the Sword, it would have been better if it was a non-Arthurian story. But we got to hook the audience somehow. But hey, at least the baddies are wearing red, not black. :rolleyes:

I have a pretty high tolerance for Arthurian stuff, similar to my tolerance for Tudor stories and bad horror films, but this was sooo dumb, everything about it was dumb.  I was sad to see James Delos   Peter Mullan in this mess. I'm very sorry for myself that you reminded me of Guy Ritchie's movie, which I was only able to stand about 15 minutes of before I had to bail for my own sanity. 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’m also curious to hear how this was. I used to love watching those A&E documentaries on the mob back in the day. Kind of feel like I probably already know most of this stuff, but if it’s well done might as well give it a shot. I see it’s only 3 episodes. 

I watched the first episode last night -- it was very slow, and shockingly dull.  But I suppose wire taps and surveillance is dull, and that's what this is.  I'll watch the second episode tonight -- maybe this will have a different focus and not be so slow?

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I watched the first episode last night -- it was very slow, and shockingly dull.  But I suppose wire taps and surveillance is dull, and that's what this is.  I'll watch the second episode tonight -- maybe this will have a different focus and not be so slow?

The focus shifts a little, but not enough and the pace remains about the same throughout. I wasn’t too impressed with the “series”. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Astromech said:

I'm trying to find time to watch s2 of The Alienist and... 

I watched the first two episodes on Sunday.  Looks like they are going to run this series through fast at 2 episodes per week.

I absolutely loved the first season of The Alienist.  I actively avoided it for the first half because I typically will not watch anything related to serial killers but I kept seeing adds and I began to watch with one eye closed and got totally sucked in.  I think the location and time period and sets were the big draw for me.  And the incorporation of real life people like Roosevelt into the story.  But I loved Luke Evans and Dakota Fanning's characters probably the most.  This series is also one of the few where I watched every episode multiple times during its run.  So much going on, so many characters, so much you miss the fist time around.  Doing this same thing with this second series...after watching the first two episodes, I immediately watched them again.  Think I will need to see them a third time before the next two episodes on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

:lol: well now I’ve just got to watch this thing. It might make me want to learn excel functions. 

37 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

:lol: well now I’ve just got to watch this thing. It might make me want to learn excel functions. 

Haha, I was motivated to watch it after someone up thread said they only lasted 5 minutes, but almost bailed when the guy in the background showed up dressed like Thomas Cromwell.  WTF.  Okay, I loved Excalibur even though the costumes were not period correct either, but that was a clear stylistic choice which they carried through the entire film consistently.  Cursed is a mishmash of random looks.  And fuck them for making killing wolves a 'heroic'  moment.  Did I say I hated it?  I did.  Alright then.  

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Haha, I was motivated to watch it after someone up thread said they only lasted 5 minutes, but almost bailed when the guy in the background showed up dressed like Thomas Cromwell.  WTF.  Okay, I loved Excalibur even though the costumes were not period correct either, but that was a clear stylistic choice which they carried through the entire film consistently.  Cursed is a mishmash of random looks.  And fuck them for making killing wolves a 'heroic'  moment.  Did I say I hated it?  I did.  Alright then.  

It was weird how that end scene turned into a complete Frank Miller adaptation, while before it was more like a typical YA fantasy show. Were they trying to say about the sword being a game changer, and thus they changed the style? 

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Hide contents

10 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I have a pretty high tolerance for Arthurian stuff, similar to my tolerance for Tudor stories and bad horror films, but this was sooo dumb, everything about it was dumb.  I was sad to see James Delos   Peter Mullan in this mess. I'm very sorry for myself that you reminded me of Guy Ritchie's movie, which I was only able to stand about 15 minutes of before I had to bail for my own sanity. 

As @Corvinus85 says above, the only way I could get through Ritchie's Arthur: Legend of the Sword was to watch as a completely different story having nothing to do with the Arthurian legend (which, of course, is practically true).  I, too, am a bit of a sucker for the Arthurian legend - too bad there's such a dearth of good treatments of it.  Excalibur is still my all-time favorite but, yes, it's far from "perfect".

I appreciate all the feedback on Cursed here.  Otherwise I would most likely have been suckered into watching it:P  Working my way through Kingdom now. 

Still watching Money Heist. Season 3 feels like a fan-fiction based on the original series. Quick cuts, montages, zero subtlety, overdone and caricatured characters, zero understanding of the original structure and it’s purpose, zero tension building, wrong pacing. Stinks of Netflix and Hollywood. 

Excellent article on the limitations and problems of TV in the streaming era, including the fact that there are inducements with current shows to kill them off after 3 or 4 seasons which override all but the biggest mega-hit shows, and the negative impact that is having on projects which could go a lot longer.

Archived