Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

4 minutes ago, Isis said:

I really wanted to enjoy or at least admire The Tree of Life but I just didn't. It dragged for me and I kind of wanted it to be over for most of the film. 

I didn't hate Tree of Life but it was a letdown, and doubly so because, having adored every Malick film until that point and been humongously impressed by the trailer, I badgered my entire family into seeing it together (this only ever happened otherwise with The Lord of the Rings in my entire life I think), we drove to London to find a screening, and they came out thinking like what the fuck was the hype about?

Interesting. I prefer Tree of Life to The Thin Red Line and certainly better than The New World, but Malick is a very divisive auteur figure and he certainly has allowed himself to go beyond navel gazing to some new level of self-indulgence with films like To The Wonder and Knight of Cups. As a composer of stunning, gorgeous imagery, he's at a pinnacle, and I could just watch a montage of moments from his post Tree of Life films and ooh and ahh at them, but the narrative aspect has escaped him for so long.

That said, I've heard good things about A Hidden Life.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I've never gotten the love for Requiem for a Dream, it has some riveting scenes, but 'great'?  I don't see it. 

I'll always remember it for the phenomenal score.  

The voiceover in Badlands is amazing, because the inaccuracies between what she's saying and what's happening on screen are a story all on their own.

But I don't mind his other voiceovers either. All his films previous to Tree of Life were five star to me.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I doubt I'm ever gonna watch Requiem (or Mother!), but tbh out of all the Aronovsky films I have seen I feel like The Wrestler is probably the best. But also I'm never gonna watch it again.

I’ve watched The Wrestler, Black Swan, and Requiem all multiple times. Mother and Noah otoh I have absolutely no desire to ever see again. 

Haven't seen Pi or The Fountain. 

I watched S3 of Westworld recently (HBO GO). It wasn't the time hopping mess that S2 was but I just didn't get into the story line at any point. I did like

Spoiler

The reveal that all of the bots were Delores. I kept trying to put a finger on them and couldn't

I also watched Palm Springs. I liked  it enough for what it was, a take on Groundhog day but with it's own new twists. Going to have to go back and watch the credits now that I hear there was a scene in it.

Archived