Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

Interesting, HoI, that you would say Seinfeld is "your Friends". To me, Seinfeld was the quintessential Thursday show, that we could see a re-run of any time and watch awhile. And Friends was its younger, sexier, and much stupider follow up. I suppose I just never "got it" the way many people I love didn't like Seinfeld, and I want to strangle. I know many younger and few older than I that put Friends as *the* show, in whatever way that I would Seinfeld.  

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Interesting, HoI, that you would say Seinfeld is "your Friends". To me, Seinfeld was the quintessential Thursday show, that we could see a re-run of any time and watch awhile. And Friends was its younger, sexier, and much stupider follow up. I suppose I just never "got it" the way many people I love didn't like Seinfeld, and I want to strangle. I know many younger and few older than I that put Friends as *the* show, in whatever way that I would Seinfeld.  

I guess here in the UK Seinfeld isn’t very popular, it was shown on a lesser channel late at night and never really caught on. Whereas friends has been on repeat almost every day for 20 years!

I can see why it never caught on though, I was very sniffy about it when i first saw it, it seemed very American to me, all the audience laughter, cheering when characters came on screen. It was the opposite of the grittier more cerebral humour I liked at the time like our Office.  It was also not the fluffy harmless sort of thing that anyone will pick up straight away either.

But then I watched a couple of episodes properly and it completely blew my mind! It wasn’t the dumb, happy show I had assumed. Everyone was mean,  nobody was a decent human being. There were some quite profound realisations going on, and it was funny! Really funny.

Compare and contrast to Friends, which, while I do quite enjoy, definitely fits in the ‘corny mindless American’ category. I know a lot of people who can watch every episode repeatedly without ever getting tired. Not me though.

My wife and I have such different taste in TV.  I should be moving ahead with The Expanse, or finishing Dark or returning to The Umbrella Academy.  Instead we’ve watched Jane Austen or The Mallorca Files lately (dratted BritBox subscription).  

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Speaking of old "Must See TV" shows, https://www.peacocktv.com/ launched today. There's a free version with ads. It seems some movies you need the premium version for. I just stared Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I'm curious how it holds up when you're not on drugs. 

Probably doesn’t seem so fun now that it looks more like a documentary of a day in the life of Johnny Depp

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Probably doesn’t seem so fun now that it looks more like a documentary of a day in the life of Johnny Depp

You know I've only caught a few headlines, but yeah thankfully I find it very easy to separate the art from the artist. I watched L.A. Confidential the other day for the first time in years and I was more distracted by "wait that's Frank Reynolds" than "oh ew that's kevin spacey."

I wanted something super light and silly so started watching The Windsors.  I like it, and am impressed that the show manages to skewer the royal family, depicting them as dim & out of touch, without actually being unkind.  

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I wanted something super light and silly so started watching The Windsors.  I like it, and am impressed that the show manages to skewer the royal family, depicting them as dim & out of touch, without actually being unkind.  

It's great I agree. Particularly the first two seasons, the third one was a bit less exciting I feel. My favorite royal has to be Prince Anne, she's hilarious whenever she appears.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

It's great I agree. Particularly the first two seasons, the third one was a bit less exciting I feel. My favorite royal has to be Prince Anne, she's hilarious whenever she appears.

I think my fav is evil, murderous Camilla, but they're all pretty good. I agree about the 3rd season, just finished it, and not as good as 1&2.

Really liked Palm Springs, it did a really good job of putting a new twist on the Groundhog Day formula.

Acknowledging that many viewers are well aware of the concept and so spending less time showing all the revelations and experimentations characters make, and just jumping straight into showing someone who has been there for quite some time was a great choice.

Also it was funny, great performances and grabbed me emotionally. 

Didn’t think there was much juice left in this genre but maybe there is!

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Finished this season's Twilight Zone.  Enjoyed it a lot.  For those into the Groundhog Day scenario, they're a nice Twilight Zone take  on it in episode 9, "Try, Try".

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Really liked Palm Springs, it did a really good job of putting a new twist on the Groundhog Day formula.

Acknowledging that many viewers are well aware of the concept and so spending less time showing all the revelations and experimentations characters make, and just jumping straight into showing someone who has been there for quite some time was a great choice.

Also it was funny, great performances and grabbed me emotionally. 

Didn’t think there was much juice left in this genre but maybe there is!

If you have been watching the current season of Agents of Shield,  it looks like they are gearing up to do their own version of a time loop in next week's episode.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Wait.. Agents of Shield is still going?!

Yes, for a few more weeks, anyway.    They are winding up it's 7th and final season this summer.   It's been a great ride, and will miss it when its gone.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:33 PM, ithanos said:

I didn't mind The Old Guard, it was solid entertainment for the most part. The flashbacks reminded me of Highlander - which really deserves a sequel IMO.

I would've been more invested in the film if...

Hide contents

they hadn't used the tired trope of assailants turning their backs on downed combatants who then recover and turn the tables on their assailants. I gave the writers the benefit of doubt that they weren't that lazy and this was deliberately left in. Still, after that scene, my engagement slipped out of gear and I coasted through the rest of the film in neutral.

I'm not tracking on this. 

Spoiler

If you're talking about the first ambush, it was clearly set in a world where people don't come back to life.  The ambush team had multiple headshots on tOG and had cleared the room before turning their backs.  Lazy in a world with known abilities, but pretty much SOP in Mundania. 

On 7/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, john said:

I also thought Old Guard was mediocre. The action sequences seemed like typical Netflix, fine but not as good as most mainstream blockbusters.

Hide contents

I did quite like the mythology of it but I’m not sure why since the only original element I noticed was the idea of immortals saving people and it causing a domino effect of goodness. The fact that they didn’t even mention the notion of chopping heads off seems ridiculous, that would’ve surely killed them by the rules they establish.

Where did they establish this rule? 

Spoiler

They established that at some point, they stop coming back, but not that any one one definite kill always worked. 

Caught most of The Talented Mr. Ripley today.  Forgot how much I liked that movie.  I remember when it came out I was drawn to it simply because the cast were all breakout stars (apparently DiCaprio turned them down..heh), but it's also just a really interesting story on how you learn to and become a con man and monster instead of just being one.

1 hour ago, hauberk said:

Where did they establish this rule? 

Hide contents

They established that at some point, they stop coming back, but not that any one one definite kill always worked. 

The rule that was established was

Spoiler

that they can take damage and they actually biologically die for a short moment if they suffer what should be mortal wounds. So what happens then if their heads get chopped off, or are torn to pieces? The movie never bothers to even mention this.

Archived