Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The rule that was established was

Hide contents

that they can take damage and they actually biologically die for a short moment if they suffer what should be mortal wounds. So what happens then if their heads get chopped off, or are torn to pieces? The movie never bothers to even mention this.

So the rule is inferred?

Spoiler

I felt like they were pretty clear that while yes, they die for some period of time, with the period getting shorter as they mature in their immortality until they get close to returning to mortality, otherwise they come back.  Based on the one final death that we've seen, it doesn't seem to be an amount of damage delivered at a given time.  The whole thing gets compromised if you dive too deep - why does the brain regenerate faster and how does it manage to eject the bullet through the entry wound instead of where ever it landed after it bounced around inside the skull.

You do raise a point, what happens if one is drawn and quartered?  

8 minutes ago, hauberk said:

So the rule is inferred?

Hide contents

I felt like they were pretty clear that while yes, they die for some period of time, with the period getting shorter as they mature in their immortality until they get close to returning to mortality, otherwise they come back.  Based on the one final death that we've seen, it doesn't seem to be an amount of damage delivered at a given time.  The whole thing gets compromised if you dive too deep - why does the brain regenerate faster and how does it manage to eject the bullet through the entry wound instead of where ever it landed after it bounced around inside the skull.

Spoiler

The whole thing gets compromised if you dive too deep - why does the brain regenerate faster and how does it manage to eject the bullet through the entry wound instead of where ever it landed after it bounced around inside the skull

There may actually be a simple answer to that - path of least resistance. There's already a hole in the head, expunge the foreign object through there as muscles, tissues, and everything else is repaired to original condition

Hence the criticism from some previous posts - the medieval trial leads to their execution by 1) hanging then 2) burning and finally 3) one cast into the sea, the other left in prison until she escapes. What happens if they give them the William Wallace treatment, not just drawn and quartered, but separate the body in multiple pieces and put a lot of distance between those pieces?

I watched Safe House, which I thought was a decent film but not one that really stood out in any way. It has a talented cast but often feels like it is underusing them, Denzel Washington is good as the rogue agent but while Ryan Reynolds isn't bad he feels a bit subdued, playing a character trying to play things by the book for the most of the film isn't really playing to his strengths. The plot was also very predictable.

43 minutes ago, DMC said:

Caught most of The Talented Mr. Ripley today.  Forgot how much I liked that movie.  I remember when it came out I was drawn to it simply because the cast were all breakout stars (apparently DiCaprio turned them down..heh), but it's also just a really interesting story on how you learn to and become a con man and monster instead of just being one.

I re-watched that just a few weeks back myself. I recalled it being darker than one might expect, but boy is it ever. I thought Jude Law did a superb job portraying one of those beautiful, magnetic people that we have all met at some point and both loved and resented. Also, Philip Seymour Hoffman, I miss you. His character was completely odious to the core, but the first to see through Ripley's front. He had a stunning range as an actor. I recently watched the Mission: Impossible film with him as the Big Bad. Two vastly different 'villains', both unlikable to the core. Finally, albeit a minor role, the actress playing Law's Italian mistress was phenomenal despite hardly having any lines. Her visible heartache as Law boats blindly past her in the harbor was gut-wrenching.

2 hours ago, hauberk said:

Where did they establish this rule? 

Reveal hidden contents

They established that at some point, they stop coming back, but not that any one one definite kill always worked. 

True, it’s just speculation on my part.

Spoiler

But the way immortality works is you heal or regenerate. If someone chops your head off and kicks it a few yards away from your body how are you coming back from that?

12 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Also, Philip Seymour Hoffman, I miss you. His character was completely odious to the core, but the first to see through Ripley's front. He had a stunning range as an actor.

Agreed.  I always loved Hoffman, then I found out he was from Fairport, which is right next to where I grew up.  A shame he chased the dragon too hard, but yeah this was one of many of his great roles.  Overall, they were all great performances.  While Leo is great, I'm glad he turned it down and Damon got the role.  He was great at making you interested even though increasingly disgusted by the character.  

We added HBO Max to our Hulu subscription so we could rewatch Watchmen which is really an almost perfect single season of television.

I decided to keep it to watch I May Destroy You which has in fact been destroying me, in a good way. I'm glad Michaela Coel was able to get the deal she deserved from HBO. I've been enjoying Normal People on Hulu. 

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I thought it was pretty strong too but also wondered as i was watching it if it would have had a tough time were it released today because

Spoiler

I mean, yeah, Ripley's character traits are linked to his sexuality.  I haven't read the book, but at least in this iteration him being attracted to Dickie is kind of central to the story.  I'm not sure I'd describe Ripley as simply gay though.  He seems attracted to both Blanchett and Paltrow's character.  I think there are issues when you portray characters that reinforce stereotypes, but not sure that's the case with Ripley.  Wouldn't say the character exhibits much of any gay stereotypes.  To me at least, it really seems like he's a con man developing into a serial killer that happens to be gay, not because he's gay.  So, yeah, I think it could still be done today.

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a terrific film, and I too watched it again for the umpteenth time recently.  Really xa gorgeous, gorgeous film. Anthony Minghella (RIP) had a painterly aesthetic as seen here, in The English Patient, in Cold Mountain. And the casting is just perfection across the board. 

Ripley's Game strikes me as a more uneven follow-up, more sterile and less visually appealing, but Malkovich is pretty good. I'd really like to see The American Friend, the first adaptation attempt of Patricia Highsmith's novel directed by Wim Wenders.

Talented Mr Ripley is a movie I had only half watched a couple of times after it came out, but it seemed to define my opinion of those involved in it. Jude Law was the perfect fit for his character and Matt Damon also did a great job. I rewatched it properly last year and it is an absolute classic.

About to start Netflix's new fantasy series - CURSED , despite the reviews , i'm bored and it's fantasy so... :D:P

Netflix’s expensive look at the early life of the Lady in the Lake is atrociously written, almost no one can act and yet ... at times during its 10 beautifully meaningless hours, it’s great fun

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jul/17/cursed-review-the-king-arthur-prequel-netflix

11 hours ago, kairparavel said:

We added HBO Max to our Hulu subscription so we could rewatch Watchmen which is really an almost perfect single season of television.

Agreed, but I have no desire for a rewatch. Lockdown is making me only want to watch comedies. 

Finished Punisher season 2, almost finished Jessica Jones 3 and Agents of Shield 5 - then onto Antman & the Wasp, and Infinity War.

Also almost finished Supernatural season 11. 
Did finish The Last Kingdom season 1, about to start season 2.

Also just started Altered Carbon, liking it so far.

Wife’s nightshift week after next, might be a good time to rewatch (for the xth time) Taboo with Ton Hardy. One of my favourite shows to watch with lights off, candles lit, and some red wine.

I also found the worst-aged part of The Talented Mr. Ripley was that I felt they (willfully or not) attached his sexuality as a negative trait to his actual sociopathy. "And he's gay,  too!" was what I took out of his ogling of Jude Law. He did appear to have a healthy relationship with the Brit, but by that point we can't trust that the character is a psychotic who happens to be queer, vs a sociopath projecting false empathy. I think it's genuinely difficult for filmmakers to portray a negatively viewed character (bad guy, mean sister, etc) as also LGBT without attaching that sexuality to their character flaws. 

Re Cursed, which arrives tomorrow on netflix: Frank Miller and Teenage Female Sorcereress -- or Fairy? They aren't the same but it seems they are being treated as being the same thing in Cursed -- well, to say it again, Frank Miller and Teenage Female Protag -- what possibly could go ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-wrong here?

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

About to start Netflix's new fantasy series - CURSED , despite the reviews , i'm bored and it's fantasy so... :D:P

Exactly as it looked for trailers then :P

i have to say Netflix are doing nothing to entice me to renew my subscription lately

20 hours ago, john said:

True, it’s just speculation on my part.

Hide contents

But the way immortality works is you heal or regenerate. If someone chops your head off and kicks it a few yards away from your body how are you coming back from that?

Spoiler

Grow a new head?

38 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Exactly as it looked for trailers then :P

i have to say Netflix are doing nothing to entice me to renew my subscription lately

I'm ashamed to say that i'm presently watching episode 4 right now ,it's a wreck but fun in a mindless sort of way, if you ignore the story, high school level dialogue and camp acting... oh shit why am i still watching this? :laugh:

Archived