Watch, Watched, Watching: What Old Is New When There Is No New

Zorral

For a movie about immortal warriors, The Old Guard sure was boring as shit.  Started it Friday night, watched a bit more yesterday, and finished it this morning while watching other stuff in between.  At least the villain was only metaphorically twirling a mustache...  Felt like it was  paycheck movie for Charlize.

Enjoyed The Warrior Nun more than tOG, and it was chock full of wooden acting and incessant internal monologue.  I'm sure I'll watch a second season if it has one.  If I were to compare the quality of this to another show, I would have to say it's at exactly the same level of Wu Assassins.  Exactly.  Weirdly so.

I've watched all seven seasons of Star Trek Voyager over the past six months as my workout show.  Finished it last Sunday.  That show sure went through some ups and downs (lots of casual racism against Native Americans in the first season), but I enjoyed most of it.  Before that DS9 was my workout show, so I've decided to keep Star Trek in that slot, and have begun Picard.  Quite striking to go from upscaled 480p to 4K.  Will watch Discovery before dropping CBS All Access, but that can't happen soon enough because I hate the service's interface on my tv.  No skip recap?  No skip intro?  Die in a fire.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Check out The Babysitter on Netflix for a nice, low budget horror film that's more fun than scary.

After reading this I thought I’d have a peek on Netflix , expecting it to be terrible.

Hour and a half later I finish... absolutely loved it! 

Directed and produced by McG!! Now I feel dirty 

I actually liked The Old Guard. Didn't think it was anything special but I wasn't bored. These types of movies are tailor made for me if they have a few good action sequences.

Also watched The Outpost today. Excellent movie. I'm always impressed by the combination of heroism and unbelievable bureaucratic bullshit that puts these men in these situations in the first place. I think Rod Lurie did these men justice.

I didn't mind The Old Guard, it was solid entertainment for the most part. The flashbacks reminded me of Highlander - which really deserves a sequel IMO.

I would've been more invested in the film if...

Spoiler

they hadn't used the tired trope of assailants turning their backs on downed combatants who then recover and turn the tables on their assailants. I gave the writers the benefit of doubt that they weren't that lazy and this was deliberately left in. Still, after that scene, my engagement slipped out of gear and I coasted through the rest of the film in neutral.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I actually liked The Old Guard. Didn't think it was anything special but I wasn't bored. These types of movies are tailor made for me if they have a few good action sequences.

Given the action-heavy plot, I was surprised it didn't have a long single-shot scene which are all the rage now. It may have benefited from something like that.

19 minutes ago, ithanos said:

I would've been more invested in the film if...

Spoiler

they hadn't used the tired trope of assailants turning their backs on downed combatants who then recover and turn the tables on their assailants.

Spoiler

Which time?  They did it at least three.

40 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Which time?  They did it at least three.

Spoiler

That first time, in the bunker trap. Blatant as it was, it set an expectation for the rest of the film - a film set in a world where villains have blind spots and complacency issues.

23 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Also watched Jim Jeffries newest comedy special: Intolerant. Good stuff. He’s probably still right there with Bill Burr as my favorite comedians working right now. 

Good stuff, really? for me he has been on a gentle downhill trajectory, this one fell off a cliff  I laughed 3 times. 

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Good stuff, really? for me he has been on a gentle downhill trajectory, this one fell off a cliff  I laughed 3 times. 

I laughed a lot. Considering you and I almost never agree on anything I’m not surprised. 

So, indeed, as someone insisted earlier in this thread, The Old Guard is not a superhero movie.  The people who made it say so, too, and they should know.  Which probably explains why I liked it, while everyone else doesn't.  :D

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/the-old-guard-is-not-a-superhero-story-greg-rucka-interview.html#_ga=2.157104379.1156657779.1594665143-1521111071.1594665143

I also thought Old Guard was mediocre. The action sequences seemed like typical Netflix, fine but not as good as most mainstream blockbusters.

Spoiler

I did quite like the mythology of it but I’m not sure why since the only original element I noticed was the idea of immortals saving people and it causing a domino effect of goodness. The fact that they didn’t even mention the notion of chopping heads off seems ridiculous, that would’ve surely killed them by the rules they establish.

9 minutes ago, john said:

I also thought Old Guard was mediocre. The action sequences seemed like typical Netflix, fine but not as good as most mainstream blockbusters.

Hide contents

I did quite like the mythology of it but I’m not sure why since the only original element I noticed was the idea of immortals saving people and it causing a domino effect of goodness. The fact that they didn’t even mention the notion of chopping heads off seems ridiculous, that would’ve surely killed them by the rules they establish.

Yes, especially when we see

Spoiler

The medieval church hanged and burned Theron and her friend. And then they gave up on methods of execution.

The  most interesting part of Old Guard was that Charlize is supposed to be Andromache, but of course, they don't do anything with that at all.  I'm not sure if the problem was writing or direction or both, but I was bored silly for the first 2/3s. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

So, indeed, as someone insisted earlier in this thread, The Old Guard is not a superhero movie.  The people who made it say so, too, and they should know.  Which probably explains why I liked it, while everyone else doesn't.  :D

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/the-old-guard-is-not-a-superhero-story-greg-rucka-interview.html#_ga=2.157104379.1156657779.1594665143-1521111071.1594665143

Main characters:

- have an unnatural ability

- but still have physical weaknesses

- fight bad guys and save innocents, without seeking recognition

- try to keep their identities hidden

- end up facing a villain who has world changing goals, though personal power is in the end the villain's true purpose

- the fight with the villain is asymmetrical, in that the villain doesn't posses the same abilities as the heroes, but has other advantages

- the young hero, Nile, is unwillingly thrust into this new life, but learns to accept her new role and purpose

If it quacks like a duck... :P

OK, just being the devil's advocate here, I didn't go into it expecting a superhero movie. I don't think it is, but there are plenty of tropes and the villain is as cliché as they come. The movie just didn't do justice to what I felt was an interesting premise.

Archived