Sign in to follow this  
James Steller

Are Mors and Mance working together?

There’s a well thought out theory that the hooded man inside Winterfell is Mors “Crowfood Umber” using Melisandre’s glamor bracelet to impersonate Roger Ryswell after he was the first anonymous victim of the spear wives’ murders. I thought it was well put together for the most part, but what makes me tilt my head is the implication that Mance and Mors are not only aware of each other, but they’re also working together, since Mance would have had to give Mors the means to impersonate someone else. 

I can remember if the sample Theon chapter of WoW confirmed this or not, but I’m not sure if Mors is actually coordinating his actions with Mance. Given that Jon warned Stannis not to bring wildlings through Umber territory, why would Mance and Mors suddenly be able to work together? Or was that a mislead on GRRM’s part to make Jon an unreliable source of information?

I read that theory, and yeah, I'm calling BS because of the fact that Mors Umber hates wildlings so much that Stannis couldn't even march them through Umber lands. Even if you argue that they're technically on the same side for once, who the hell would have sat Mors down and told him what was going on? And does Mors strike you as a man who'd think about this new alliance between wildlings and Northmen and see the benefits in it enough to change his mind? Mors is not that guy. Mors was doing scout work for Stannis and he happened to find Theon in the snow, it wasn't like Theon knew where to jump anyway, they did that out of desperation. 

Most likely not, or rather:

[Don't read that if you don't want to read considerable spoilers for TWoW.]

Spoiler

If this were the case, we are not likely to learn this because it seems that Mors Umber dies early in TWoW. There has been a picture of a computer screen of Anne Groell depicting what seemed to be a page from an Asha chapter where Hosteen Frey is mentioned to march against Stannis with a Mors Umber's head on a pike as his banner - after he has put down Mors himself and his green boys (or most of them) in the wake of Aenys Frey's death in one of those pits.

I don't think the author will bother with Mors stories after the man in a corpse - even less so if Mance were dead as well (which I think is less likely).

I believe it is very indicative that Umbers in the Winterfell are mostly old men, while those outside are young boys.

In the North during Winter old people usually are expected to sacrifice their lives for family.